German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I had 11 week old "Summer" at the vets yesterday because of a cough the night before.
I explained the symptoms to the vet, and he tried to reproduce the cough, but to no avail. She hadnt coughed since that morning, so when he said she probably just swallowed her saliva the wrong way... I believed it.

She didn't cough all day, but at about 11pm last night just before we were heading to bed, she had a small one. I took her outside for a drink, and to go to the toilet, then up to her crate in our room.

She woke me up at 1:30am, 2:45am, 3:20am, 4:00, and then 8am with coughing fits. It's a dry cough, with a honking noise, and a gag at the end.

I'm freaking out because everything I've read states that night time coughing can be a sign of heart disease. The cough stemming from pressure on the sternum whilst lying down. The vet listened to her heart, and breathing. He took her temperature, an checked her teeth and said everything was fine.

I know dogs airways can get irritated, but would a bruised or irritated trachea account for this kind of cough, and only at night? Nothing has changed in the environment where she sleeps. I'm at a loss and it's really scary for both myself and Summer! Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
I would record the sound for the vet, iPhone? Of course kennel cough comes to mind. This is like us getting a cold. If we are healthy it goes away on its own.

Do you have any candles, room freshners, new bedding, laundry detergent in the room that could be irritating her?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I rang the vet ASAP this morning, and have just got back. I took in the videos I took of summer coughing, and he has kept her to take X-rays and to have a look in her throat. I just hope it's something minor... I shall keep you guys posted. I agree that kennel cough comes to mind, just seems strange that it only happens at night. She doesn't even do it when sleeping during the day. I shall double and triple check out bedroom to make sure nothing has been changed, but we barely spend any time in there except to sleep.
Any hoo, thank you for the quick response, when I know, I'll let you guys know!

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
I would record the sound for the vet, iPhone? Of course kennel cough comes to mind. This is like us getting a cold. If we are healthy it goes away on its own.

Do you have any candles, room fresheners, new bedding, laundry detergent in the room that could be irritating her?
This is exactly what I was thinking. Especially them automatic air fresheners that keep spraying. They used to irritate Taz Big time.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really don't know how to say this... I am now without Summer forever. She crossed the bridge already. X-rays showed a persistent aortic arch, and my baby girl could not awaken from anaesthesia. She had an enlarged lymph node, and her stomach was full of fluid and protein. I'm completely shocked. And frankly a little angry at the world. Just wanted to let you all know what had happened... I'm going to go hug my big boy and try to process this some more. Xoxo

·
Registered
156 Posts
I really don't know how to say this... I am now without Summer forever. She crossed the bridge already. X-rays showed a persistent aortic arch, and my baby girl could not awaken from anaesthesia. She had an enlarged lymph node, and her stomach was full of fluid and protein. I'm completely shocked. And frankly a little angry at the world. Just wanted to let you all know what had happened... I'm going to go hug my big boy and try to process this some more. Xoxo

I am so sorry for your sad news :( you will see your sweet baby again, let that be your comfort.
Losing a beloved pet is never easy...I'm sorry for your loss thoughts & prayers your way

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Oh my gosh....I am so sorry:(:(

My heart is breaking for you & this little baby....

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I'm so sorry :hugs: RIP Summer :(

·
Premium Member
11,272 Posts
I am so sorry!!!!! how terrible.....poor baby.....you gave her a lot of love in her short life....:rip: Summer

Lee

1 - 13 of 13 Posts