Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
Niether link worked for me

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I tried one of those on my great dane, but it didn't work, I gave up years ago. LOL
I have leather couches now

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Don't waste your money on those kinds of products. If you want him off the couch, you can either block his access to the couch or crate him.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Neither of the links worked, but I used both products for many years for my cats. The scat mat does work. It keeps our cats off of the counters anywhere we put it. I am sure it will work for dogs too. They only need to touch it once to learn. The X mats will work for some animals, but I also had a dog that the just loved the mats. Both products worked on our cats though.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I've never used one.

My dad bought the couch sized scat mat, the shocking variety, several weeks to a month ago and couldn't be happier. His dog was the same - knew better when people were around, but as soon as he'd leave the dog was on the couch daily all day.

Worked great for him. Worth noting is he's not much of the direction follower. He said there were several levels of correction and he put it on high immediately. He knows the dog jumped up because the mat was displaced and pushed back, as though he'd jumped up, gotten popped, and launched off. Not my dog, not my couch, just saying this product worked for him and that's what he did. ;)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
The X mat never worked for our cats, even though we got the "extra" variety. They just walked right over it. My brother had a scat mat, it worked for most of the cats but his Maine Coon would actually sleep on it! I think her thick fur and fur-padded paws insulated her from it or something. I am not sure if it would work for dogs.

I would either put a throw over the couch when you're gone to keep it clean or use a baby gate to keep the dog out of the room.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry. I don't know why the links don't work. It looks like most of you knew what I was talking about by the link description. The first is the electronic scat mat which emits an ultrasonic sound when the dog/cat touches the mat. The second one is the prickly mat that looks like the under side of a carpet protector.

Thanks for your input. We can't keep him out of the living room during the day unless we crate him. The layout of our house makes it impossible to use gates to keep him from the living room. I just can't stand the hair on the couch, and I'm one of those people who likes the line to be drawn between human and animal. IMO, humans belong on furniture. Animals don't. Maybe it's a battle I'll just have to give up on as far as when we are not here to keep him off.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Oh man, I used to have one of the shocking scat mats. I put it on the kitchen counter, actually to keep Tessa off it. She would jump up on the counter to look out the kitchen window if I ran to my car or to put laundry in. Then one day my dad was visiting, and he put his hands on the counter right down on the mat. He about jumped out of his skin, it was hilarious! Really took him by surprise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts