German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Discovered a cottonmouth snake (water moccasin) snoozing on the front porch under the dog bed last night. Thankfully, my neighbors came to the rescue and dealt with the viper with their machete.

Though, honestly, had they not come to the rescue, I probably would have removed the covering, kept the dogs inside, and let the snake move along its path...

But I'm in a neighborhood, and they agree... So I agree... That venomous snakes get axed.

Anyway, they told me to put moth balls around my yard and house, and YIKES!! I'm so glad I didn't do that! Looked it up today, God bless Google, because moth balls are SO Toxic!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I'd have likely killed the snake as well given the fact I have young kids AND the dogs, especially Dax, who is my 9 week old puppy. Cottonmouths from what my grandfather told me are pretty angry type snakes. He grew up in SC. I'd really rather be safe than sorry. It comes onto my property and I let it go, I'd feel pretty bad just thinking about it being in the neighborhood where it could potentially bite someone that stumbled across it accidentally. Harsh but true.

There's snake away that I'm told it pretty effective that you can sprinkle around your property. I'm not entirely sure how it works but I've heard people had good results with it.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I am getting the willies just reading your post. Lots of exposure to water moccasins when I was growing up in Texas. I would not have been able to kill it myself, because I would be screaming and dancing around hoping it can't hit a moving target. I just saw a little garden snake while walking Fiona the other day. I still avoid the place, even if it is not rational. My luck it will be a nest of vipers. I don't remember what we did as a kid to keep them away ... I was busy screaming.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I am getting the willies just reading your post. Lots of exposure to water moccasins when I was growing up in Texas. I would not have been able to kill it myself, because I would be screaming and dancing around hoping it can't hit a moving target. I just saw a little garden snake while walking Fiona the other day. I still avoid the place, even if it is not rational. My luck it will be a nest of vipers. I don't remember what we did as a kid to keep them away ... I was busy screaming.

LOL I have to laugh because I freak out over snakes and lizards and bugs like things in general. I'll be vicious and kill it if I have to but I'm usually screaming and running for the hills yelling for my husband to kill it.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
Agree! Grew up here in Louisiana ( we have every poisonous snake that exists in the North American continent). I hate, irrational or not, snakes!!! Will never forget the feel of stepping on one - barefoot - in a pasture.

I would have called my brother or 911.

My poor Jack

will always limp because of this bite. We still don't know what type od snake.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Agree! Grew up here in Louisiana ( we have every poisonous snake that exists in the North American continent). I hate, irrational or not, snakes!!! Will never forget the feel of stepping on one - barefoot - in a pasture.

I would have called my brother or 911.

My poor Jack

will always limp because of this bite. We still don't know what type od snake.

see this! THIS is just one of those perfect examples of why I will fight tooth and nail to avoid my husband getting stationed any further south than NC where we already were for our first station. Too many dangerous and scary critters the further south you go!!!

·
Registered
990 Posts
I hear you - all our snakes are deadly - and they are protected, you're not allowed to kill them - they do seem to have "accidents" with shot guns and shovels tho :)
If you ever go to Australia and wonder why they keep shovels with a sharp edges on the bottom at the front and back door of the house you know why :)
The only good snake in my books is a dead snake :/

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I hear you - all our snakes are deadly - and they are protected, you're not allowed to kill them - they do seem to have "accidents" with shot guns and shovels tho :)
If you ever go to Australia and wonder why they keep shovels with a sharp edges on the bottom at the front and back door of the house you know why :)

See yeah no.... I used to want to go to Australia until I learned you guys have pretty much the highest concentration of things that can easily kill a person and somehow..... it's just not worth it! I know I'm probably the biggest wimp on the planet but I'll live with that! I totally understand all those accidents.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd have likely killed the snake as well given the fact I have young kids AND the dogs, especially Dax, who is my 9 week old puppy. Cottonmouths from what my grandfather told me are pretty angry type snakes. He grew up in SC. I'd really rather be safe than sorry. It comes onto my property and I let it go, I'd feel pretty bad just thinking about it being in the neighborhood where it could potentially bite someone that stumbled across it accidentally. Harsh but true.

There's snake away that I'm told it pretty effective that you can sprinkle around your property. I'm not entirely sure how it works but I've heard people had good results with it.
Agreed. Even though killing it wasn't my first instinct, but safety is a factor in a neighborhood, and we have lots of dogs and kiddos :)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep. I'm in a tiny cottage with only a front door, and the shovel is right there now!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
LOL!! You would go nuts around here...

Well, this is my first experience living this far south, and on a lake, and it's a modest little subdivision. Nothin' high-falutin' going on around here ;) The houses are old and were mostly built as weekend homes, I think. So, lots of places for critters in the soffits, etc.

This humid spring has brought out not just the snakes (we have copperheads and coral snakes, too...I have yet to see one), but a whole gang of other creepy crawlies.

The pack and I are living in some sort of harmony with:

about 2500 little lizards,
10 million mosquitoes,
June Bugs galore,
had a cicada a few weeks back,
3-inch wood roaches are keeling over from last weeks' bug spray,
ants keep moving their hills about 1-2 feet over every time we poison them,
found a toad in my bathroom closet last week,
wasps are trying to take over my covered porch,
the love bugs have made a disaster of the grill on my pickup, and
the mudbugs (crawfish) are leaving little mudpiles all over my south lawn!!

Who needs to go camping, when you can just go home. Doh!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
LOL!! You would go nuts around here...

Well, this is my first experience living this far south, and on a lake, and it's a modest little subdivision. Nothin' high-falutin' going on around here ;) The houses are old and were mostly built as weekend homes, I think. So, lots of places for critters in the soffits, etc.

This humid spring has brought out not just the snakes (we have copperheads and coral snakes, too...I have yet to see one), but a whole gang of other creepy crawlies.

The pack and I are living in some sort of harmony with:

about 2500 little lizards,
10 million mosquitoes,
June Bugs galore,
had a cicada a few weeks back,
3-inch wood roaches are keeling over from last weeks' bug spray,
ants keep moving their hills about 1-2 feet over every time we poison them,
found a toad in my bathroom closet last week,
wasps are trying to take over my covered porch,
the love bugs have made a disaster of the grill on my pickup, and
the mudbugs (crawfish) are leaving little mudpiles all over my south lawn!!

Who needs to go camping, when you can just go home. Doh!

I would lose it. reptiles, bugs, other creepy critters.... nope. cant handle it. I'm already twitchy from the cicadas that have taken over my front yard and favorite tree and the mosquitos everywhere. I see a snake, even the little green snakes we tend to see most around here and I'm going to need a mental health appointment. I've reached my limit for the season on creepy critters and it only just started.

guess that's what happens when I'm raised in a high altitude, low humidity climate most of my life. Our worst fear was accidentally coming across a rattlesnake on a walk through garden of the gods or a field that hadn't been mowed. Never have encountered one but most heavy rattler areas are usually marked pretty loudly. I don't handle bugs or creepies very well.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
This made me laugh.

We are on the lookout as well. I found a snake skin in the yard. Well Zeus found it! under a plant. When I saw this i screamed SO LOUD for my husband. We also have a machete ready. I don't care if it's protected or not, if anything touches my Zeus I will destroy it and it's family! lol -.-

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Snakes? Heck no. I have homemade versions of this strategically placed around my yard.

SNAKE GUARD - How It Works

I don't use a box. Mine are in black tubing. You can buy replacement glue boards for less than a dollar.

Caught some lizards, but poured oil on them and released them. A snake? Not so lucky.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
We have two black racers on our property and I think the Eastern Garter Snake is still around from last year. THANKFULLY I have not encountered the big, fat copperhead again. I actually went inside to get my camera after we saw him and he left...(I came back with the camera AND a flat nose shovel.) I hate the idea of killing the snakes at all. I actually like the black snakes and the garter snake...I am NOT a fan of the Copperhead. I think if the snake had been on my porch, in my garage or somewhere other than out in the back of my property, I would have had a stronger inclination to kill it. I feel for y'all in the southern states with a year round snake presence.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
I think when it comes to snakes, I just cant be humane and do a catch and release thing. I know they're good for controlling the rodent population but I will NOT chance it with small kids and animals around not only my house but the neighborhood. I'm a kittens and puppies kind of person. Reptiles and other creepy critters need not apply. I can't even hold an iguana without freaking out and I sort of like them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts