German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve noticed some of us have one or two dogs, while others have a lot. Our vet bills the last few years have been astronomical. Bloat and allergies for one, Ulcers and IBS for the other. Both are on special, expensive diets. I thought about adding a third but I’m maxed out on expenses now. How do you afford multiple dogs?

·
Super Moderator
6,413 Posts
My three are fortunately very healthy.The little Yorkie mix we had a few years back had multiple health issues.We would be in the poor house for sure with two or three needing expensive care.Pet health insurance might be a good idea with a new pup.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've just gotten quotes on medical insurance for the dogs. That will make it easier to budget for unexpected medical expenses because it will make it just a monthly bill. We may be adding a third pup this winter if everything goes as planned. I feed Victor food which at my local store is $38 for a 40 lb bag which actually takes them quite a while to go through. We do all of our own grooming and basic first aid when needed. They really dont cost us that much and once the insurance is in place that will ease any worries about the financial aspects of a serious illness.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,365 Posts
yeah, i’m another one that’s had healthy dogs. my biggest expense was feeding raw.. never on medical bills. Keystone (current dog) is the first that i’ve dealt with health issues and it’s definitely caused me to slow down / hesitate adding more. it’s almost as if the cost of dog ownership became “real” with him.

Reactions: ChickiefromTN

·
Registered
10,179 Posts
I have two. Pet insurance helps a lot but also is expensive in itself, adding it up. In the past I didn't worry about adding the 4th dog as the three were very healthy. Not anymore. Two is the max.

·
Registered
69 Posts
yeah, i’m another one that’s had healthy dogs. my biggest expense was feeding raw.. never on medical bills. Keystone (current dog) is the first that i’ve dealt with health issues and it’s definitely caused me to slow down / hesitate adding more. it’s almost as if the cost of dog ownership became “real” with him.
With my first boy I had the unexpected expense of a poisonous snake bite to the inside of his lip when he was 9 months old. Of course it happened on a Sunday afternoon and required an overnight stay at the emergency vet. Even with healthy pups stuff can happen. Uggghhh...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
195 Posts
Vet bills aren’t bad for me... it’s the house damage. I swear it’s like owning a beaver. Very hard to keep a house pristine while owning a gsd. With that said, I’ll always have one :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
I think we've just been lucky to have things spaced out. Guinness was our expensive dog with kidney stone surgery, special diet and 2 ACL repairs over his long life but the other 2 no issues besides routine senior issues. Dakota we did ultrasound for arthritis but that was only over 6 months at the end. Storm is our most expensive with monthly EPI meds now, but the other 2 seem healthy so it's manageable.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'm down to two GSD's now (I also have 3 cats and 3 horses). I had 5 GSD's all at the same time a couple years back. My passion is researching everything to do with animal health. I rarely need the vet. I treat most things myself with great success. Obviously I can't do surgery and treat emergency health issues but most things you can do yourself. It takes a lot of time and dedication but again, it's my passion. I have cooked for my dogs, spent hundred's of hours finding a food that's not prescription that has helped, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts