German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering what the usual cost is for basic puppy classes. Where did you go and how much did it cost for how many weeks of training? Trying to get an idea what is reasonable here.

My city is offering Puppy classes, "Basic obedience for dogs under 8 months." The cost is $125 for 6 weeks (1 hour per week).

They also offer AKC Canine Good Citizen classes for $125, 6 weeks also.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Sounds about right to me (although I am in Canada).

This is from the place Stark and I did our puppy and obedience classes:

Puppy Level One (Basic) Training Classes - $160+hst = $180.80/6-wks
Under 5 mos. or small, well socialized breeds, maximum class size of 6 dogs

Adult Level One (Basic) Training Classes - $175+hst = $197.75/6-wks
5+ mos., maximum class size of 6 dogs

Level Two (Intermediate) Training Classes - $180+hst = $203.40/6-wks
Maximum class size of 6 dogs.

Level Three (Advanced) Training Classes - $190+hst = $214.70/6-wk
Maximum class size of 6 dogs.

** Level three, I should mention is a rally-ready course. Basically it prepares you for the ring.

We also did 3-4 courses of agility, each lasting about 6-8 weeks. The cost for those were about the same as the Level 3 obedience course.

Now with the club I pay a yearly fee that gives me access to the field we train on and the equipment we use.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I've been looking on line at clubs for when I get my pup in a few years. Right now prices are around $100-$150 for 6 or 8 week courses. Agility and ring pre-work are a little more expensive.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome. Thanks both. We have a couple clubs here too that I am looking at. I'd like to try agility and tracking as well, and those classes seem to be very reasonable. Various levels of agility are 4 weeks for $40. Rally-O is 8 weeks for $80. I am so excited even though it is still a ways off for me.

How old was Stark when he started classes, Elisabeth?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Stark was 4 months old when he started taking classes.

I would have started sooner but the classes were full before that time. I did A LOT of stuff with him myself at first so when we got to class (at least the first two courses) he pretty much knew everything and it was just proofing with distractions. The last two were like rally-ready courses and working amoungst distractions.

The agility classes I think we started when he was....8ish months old I think? I would love to start a young puppy in agility like what MLR did with Glory B though!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
I joined our local obedience training club- the membership fee is $20 and then classes are $30-60, otherwise they're closer to the prices you posted.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Depends on your location. In our area, we just raised prices for non-members at our club to $90 for 8 week classes, $45 for 4 week classes (mostly agility).

I'm in an agility class at another club and it is costing me $105.

I'm a member at my club and all classes are $25 for me. I pay $50 a year for membership fees.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
$105 for an 8-week basic obedience and $105 for an 8-week Canine Good Citizen class - group classes - Michigan. Our classes usually run about an hour and a half per week. The max allowed in a class is 12 dogs, but so far the classes we've taken have been under that. Our trainer also offers private training and kenneling.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
We paid 100 for a 6 wk puppy class, and got a discount of $10 for the 8 week long $100 intermediate because we signed up right away. Due to Thanksgiving and Christmas, this will actually be like a 10 wk class so that's an added bonus. ;)

Year long memberships for advanced is $125 and agility is $300

·
Registered
179 Posts
I paid $65 for a basic obedience class and it was done through our local community education from the school district. They hire outside instructors from the local areas to instruct all of their classes.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I have been going to the same trainer for 8 years, and since I've gotten into training more seriously I do what she calls "drop in" novice classes I get 10 for $100, normally an hour long.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
I also go to drop in classes when I'm preparing for a trial. Also, $10 for an hour. Taught by a GSD breeder/trainer/AKC obedience judge.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
My normal (non-Schutzhund) club is $80 per class and they are six week classes. The Puppy class includes the AKC STAR and the Intermediate Obedience includes the AKC CGC. Pan is starting the puppy class next week, he will be 11 weeks.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
puppy class $90.00 for 6 week class.

private lessons $35.00 for 1/2 hour.

prices of a class i know about:

puppy class; 6 week; $100.00; 45 min class.
novice; 8 week course; $140.00; 1 hour class.
basic beginners; 8 week course; $140.00; 1 hour class.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Awesome. Thanks both. We have a couple clubs here too that I am looking at. I'd like to try agility and tracking as well, and those classes seem to be very reasonable. Various levels of agility are 4 weeks for $40. Rally-O is 8 weeks for $80. I am so excited even though it is still a ways off for me.

How old was Stark when he started classes, Elisabeth?
Trust me on this and DO NOT TAKE the CITY OFFERED CLASSES. The trainer is NOT one that is recommended by ANYONE with GSDs in the area!!!!

I reccomend the local OB club, their classes are all $80 for 8 weeks. You can come out to the Schutzhund club for 3 months worth of practice and advice for $30.

You can ask Cathie as well as Oksana for other references and trainers here locally.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I belong to a local dog club too...$20 to join...and classes are $25 for 8 weeks.

I have done a private training session and it cost me $90 for about 1.5 hrs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts