German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering if we could share a pricing of 30lbs bags ACANA and Orijen Large Bread Puppy food in our areas?

In my area - Southern Alberta - Canada (Alberta is actually place where this food is produced) the cost of:

ACANA Large Bread Puppy 30lbs - $56 to $62 CDN
Orijen Large Bread Puppy 30lbs - $65 to $72 CDN

Question on the side: Does anybody know where could I find these foods cheaper in my area?

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
My area does not carry Acana-which I feed. I buy mine on-line at pawschoice 30lbs for $64.00/I but two at a time to get free shipping. They are always very fast with shipping.

You are getting it cheaper than me!:)

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Pet Supplies Plus carries alot of food but for some reason they don't carry Acana here (Dallas). Orijen 29.5 lbs is $63.50.

I've seen it online as low as $58 and you can get online coupons for free or 1/2 off shipping.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Minneapolis, Minnesota

$59 - $78 for largest bag (30 lbs) depending on the formula. Red is more. Six Fish in the middle. Adult is the least expensive. And depends on the store.

The stores I go to offer a program to buy 10 and get 1 free (or is it 12 - depends on the food).

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i didnt think the acana grain inclusive acana food (which their large breed puppy is) was even sold in the states.

anyway, the OP is comparing the cost of a grain inclusive food with a grainless food.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i'm always switching foods (cans and kibble). the last 2 months
i started usuing Orijen. it costs $2.00 a pound. i'm the USA.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
i'm always switching foods (cans and kibble). the last 2 months
i started usuing Orijen. it costs $2.00 a pound. i'm the USA.
Completely off topic, but how do your dogs handle constantly switching foods? I know my gsd has a very sensitive stomach and the slightest change to her diet gives her diarrhea unless I do a VERY slow transition. Does the constantly changing foods cause any stomach issues?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Completely off topic, but how do your dogs handle constantly switching foods? I know my gsd has a very sensitive stomach and the slightest change to her diet gives her diarrhea unless I do a VERY slow transition. Does the constantly changing foods cause any stomach issues?

i do the same thing. when a bag runs out, i start on the next food. id never know she was eating a different food, but it definitely seems alot of gsd's wouldnt handle this so well.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I also constantly switch foods but I do a blend first-right now it's 30% Orijen/30% TOTW /20% Calif Natural on our way to 6 weeks of 50% TOTW 50% California Natural. I'll give 100% of one in the morning and 100% of the other at night. Maybe a little dia at times but it quickly straightens out. I should also say,he always gets something mixed in whether it's table scraps or yogurt or something.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
my dog has no problem with the constant switching of foods.
i don't have to do the gradual switch with the kibble or can.
i've been switching his food since he was 6 months or so. my dog stop
eating his food on 2 occassions. the 2nd time he did it
he didn't eat for 3 days. i switched foods and he gobbled it down
with no problems. since then i've switching. currently i have 16
cans of dog food on hand. out of those 16 cans there's 5 different brands.
i always mixed my dogs kibble with something, can food,
organic yogurt, chicken, raw ground beef, fish, various oils,
rice, millet, quinoa, fruit, veggies. i think because
my dog always had a variety to eat switching foods was no problem
for him.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
That is the smallest of the problems. Rotation feeding and constant switching will just increase the risk that your dog develops an allergy to multiple proteins and you just have fewer options.

I have a 14 year old dog that has been eating the same food since she was weaned, by me. She had an unplanned litter at 9 years old and had 12 puppies. She nursed them until they went to their new homes. Most of my others have been on the same brand or same formula for most if not all of their lives.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Hi,

I was wondering if we could share a pricing of 30lbs bags ACANA and Orijen Large Bread Puppy food in our areas?

In my area - Southern Alberta - Canada (Alberta is actually place where this food is produced) the cost of:

ACANA Large Bread Puppy 30lbs - $56 to $62 CDN
Orijen Large Bread Puppy 30lbs - $65 to $72 CDN

Question on the side: Does anybody know where could I find these foods cheaper in my area?
You should look for the Annamaet GF's, Salcha, Aqualuk & Manitok. These are spectacular formulas made by a new process that has almost 100% starch conversion. The meat meals used are also very very expensive and they are low ash kibbles, probably 5% on average,

They are also the only kibbles I have ever seen where the fiber comes from the foods in the formula and not a dedicated source.

·
Registered
966 Posts
That is the smallest of the problems. Rotation feeding and constant switching will just increase the risk that your dog develops an allergy to multiple proteins and you just have fewer options.

I have a 14 year old dog that has been eating the same food since she was weaned, by me. She had an unplanned litter at 9 years old and had 12 puppies. She nursed them until they went to their new homes. Most of my others have been on the same brand or same formula for most if not all of their lives.
Really??

http://urbanpawsmagazine.com/archives/59

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Yes I have been feeding Annamaet kibbles since they were sold in brown paper feed bags.

The bitch I mentioned was whelped on Annamaet Ultra, at that point that formula had been on the market for about ten years. It is still my go to food for really active dogs and pups. That is the only kibble she has ever eaten. I have some young dogs that have only eaten that as well. I get it for $38 a bag because I buy 5 at a time but I have seen it for as much as $50.

It is a 32/20 and probably the most copied performance food on the market.

I have read all the stuff on rotation feeding but it all comes from the pet food companies that promote it. There is ZERO benefit and all risk. The amino acid profile in a high end, well made food is what the dog needs not a different protein source every other month.

Dog food is just not a list of ingredients. Foods like Natures Variety uses things like fresh meat and herbs that have no benefit to the animal but they read well.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i wish i could eat the same tasting food at every meal for every day of my life:rolleyes:

as for annamaet, i actually do like the looks of the grain free line. however, retailers are extremely sparse in much of the country, and currently, the online stores that carry it have nothing larger than 20 lb bags at $50. they are supposed to be starting to sell 30 lb bags, and im expecting those will be a better value.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts