German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it always and only the leader who corrects a pack member's behaviour?

whenever luc acts rudely to me (which isn't often, last time it happened, he was hurt and i didn't realize it), teagan will growl, and snap at him - tonight she got in his face, previously she has nipped his back leg - obviously i don't allow this, and i thought the behaviour was gone, but it just happened again.

basically, we were in the side yard, and the neighbours whose driveway is next to it came out. luc gave a growl/bark - he has before at them, though not for over a month - and he only does it to them - he's fine w/other people walking past next to us, the other neighbour (with the dog), but he doesn't seem to like these neighbours. i did my usual (unusual i suppose, since i so rarely have to do it) LUC! SIT! in my 'your world just ended' voice and his butt hit down pretty quickly and he immediately was quiet. then he had to wait on the porch (in the front) until i let him down. (he was off-leash) but when i was moving him to the other side of the porch, i took the handle on his collar - he doesn't like the use of the handle, so he balked a bit and made a noise of protest, which is when teagan (who is on leash w/me) went at him.

it's nothing serious, she's not trying to hurt him, and the dogs immediately played once inside and are now lying together, so it's not like it was taken personally. i obviously don't allow it so it doesn't have the chance to escalate either.

but i'm more worried that it is a sign that teagan, who generally now accepts me as the leader, hasn't fully done so yet. or do middle-ranking dogs correct lower dogs for transgressions to a higher-ranking pack member? (she asks hopefully)

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Yes, in my experience they do. My Massie, an alpha female, would correct any dog who was not following the rules. She also once intervened on Chama's behalf when she thought I was being too harsh with her.

My cat Cleo (don't laugh!) also issues corrections to the dogs. If she perceives that either of the dogs are acting disrespectfully towards me or if Rafi is too rambunctious in the house she will correct them! This involves chasing them around and swatting them on the butt! It is very scary and the dogs don't like it at all! She will not allow Rafi to play roughly with me or Chama to growl or make ugly noises at me. Chama also corrects Rafi.

I do not think it is Teagan rejecting your leadership or trying to take over.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh good! we've come such a long way and i was 'oh.....oh.....darnit!!!!'

phew

esme corrects luc if he sniffs her butt too enthusiastically
but that's generally the only other animal-on-dog correction in the household (mitch runs a tight ship among the cats however luc is in far too much awe of him to approach him....cats w/3 legs and no teeth are tough and scary, apparently....)

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Just be sure Teagan isn't too harsh with him. Chama can get a bit carried away with her corrections!

I do end up having to call Cleo off! She is really, really scary when she does this and she has cornered many a big german shepherd and had them screaming! And sometimes she picks on Rafi just for being a puppy. She is just starting to accept him and now allows him to give her big sloppy kisses.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
awww....cleo and mitch sound like they'd get along in a 'we're both top cat' sort of way....

i always take teagan away immediately. i didn't pop correct her tonight, i said 'NO' and moved her off. she was a little bit extra-interested in luc for a bit (tried to chase him once he was allowed off the porch) but i redirected her okay.

thanks!

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
My older dog Scooner seems to be the pet pack leader and she corrects the other dogs & cats when they get out of line (aren't following the people rules. Or if me or my husband tell one of them no & they ignore us or get close to doing what they shouldn't be Scooner will correct them. Usually just a faint growl.
She always submits to what people want though.

Sometimes it is very helpful, like if I have to set a plate of food down to answer the door or something Scooner won't let any of the other pets near it & she won't touch it--she sometimes even avoids looking at it--like she's not interested at all.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
The only dog in my house that can't seem to grasp the concept that I am the only leader that is to correct is Maiya.

My other dogs just look to me when it comes to fixing a dysfunctional member.

They do bow down to Maiya so I know they perceive her as a more dominate personality. She is always trying to correct the others but I can't allow her as she goes to far and attacks them to the point of vet visit and stitches.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
This is very normal, and why rank issues are so serious. For example if a dog feels it's above a child in rank and the child does something inappropriate in the dogs eyes... no good. If a dog knows the rules and understands he/she is below all the humans there is harmony. Provided it's a fair and appropriate correction I have no issues with a dog correcting another dog.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks

i'm feeling a lot better. i've always stepped in, but wasn't really sure what teagan's corrections (or attempts to) indicated in terms of her and i's relationship. i obviously keep on working with her, but wasn't sure this wasn't indicative of a more serious issue. i'm very happy to hear it isn't!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts