German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the correct way to determine a pups birthday? I thought you figured it the same way we figure ours, but someone told me today that I was wrong.

I thought since my pup was born on June 14th, that on the 14th of Nov he will be 5mo old.

They said you figure up the weeks,and since tomorrow will be 20wks he will be 5mo old tomorrow.

Help, please straighten me out :eek:

·
Registered
199 Posts
I would like to know that as well, mine was born May 15th, and was just trying to figure out same...

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I go by the date like you, everybody's diffrent..they do the same thing with new babies too, and really you only keep track of the weeks for maybe the first 20 anyway, it's just easier and close enough to go by the date. And truth be told 4 weeks does not always equal one month as you know some months have more or less!

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Well, I know for the dog shows you treat it like you do with human birthdays. If you don't, you can very easily end up entering the wrong "age" classes (6-9, 9-12, 12-18).

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
I always went by the week til pup was 6 months old. Though I don't do the conformation type classes, so entering by the month isn't an issue.
It is more for vaccination schedule, height/weight chart that I went w/ weeks vs months.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess then Ace will not celebrate his birthday untill Nov 14th.LOL

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,941 Posts
I thought since my pup was born on June 14th, that on the 14th of Nov he will be 5mo old.

They said you figure up the weeks,and since tomorrow will be 20wks he will be 5mo old tomorrow.

Help, please straighten me out :eek:
Not all months have exactly four weeks to them. So tomorrow, your pup will be 20 weeks old, but he won't be five months old until the 14 November, at which point he will be 22 weeks old.

I always used what was easier to remember.

·
Super Moderator
32,425 Posts
Not all months have exactly four weeks to them. So tomorrow, your pup will be 20 weeks old, but he won't be five months old until the 14 November, at which point he will be 22 weeks old.
^ This. You can count in weeks or months, whichever you prefer, but months would be counted from the day of the month he was born and weeks would be counted from the day of the week that he was born.

On November 14th he will be 5 months, or 21.86 weeks old. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts