German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 905 Posts

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I am stocking up on dog food. Just do the math and there could be 11 million dead in the US. So, yes, do take it seriously.

Even if you are young and healthy, this is a big deal. Take it seriously but don't panic.Don't forget how many things are "Made in China" that could have a bigger impact than the actual virus.

As for TP- well that's the least of my worries. Food and meds for those who need it should be far more pressing.

Now I'm off to my underground prepper compound for the duration...

·
Registered
31,355 Posts
If this thing takes off worldwide, just doing the math, a staggering 152 million people could die based on the percentages we have today. However, I do think the numbers could be skewed with under reported infected.

So..yeah...just wash your hands. Especially if you are out of toilet paper.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Actually, I think the death rate from flu is 0.1% not 1%. Either way it's much less than this new virus.

I read today that it has already mutated at least twice so there are now 3 strains. The first mutation is supposed to be less aggressive than the original, but I could find no information on the third version.

I think this is going to get a lot worse before it gets better, so we should all be prepared as much as possible. I understand from the information that we have, that most people will recover, but it doesn't hurt to be cautious.

I don't want to be an alarmist, but I do want to be realistic.

Since pets can be contaminated with this virus getting on their skin and fur, I have wondered how it would be possible to disinfect a dog? I know it's a crazy thought, but I'm curious. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
31,355 Posts
I read today that it has already mutated at least twice so there are now 3 strains. The first mutation is supposed to be less aggressive than the original, but I could find no information on the third version.

·
Super Moderator
6,981 Posts
Since pets can be contaminated with this virus getting on their skin and fur, I have wondered how it would be possible to disinfect a dog? I know it's a crazy thought, but I'm curious. Anyone have any ideas?
Try looking up info on Pure Oxygen shampoo... Not necessarily in direct relation to the corona virus, but in general - with hydrogen peroxide as an active ingredient, I believe it has some disinfecting abilities.

·
Registered
31,355 Posts
they found the virus in the dogs nasal passages. Do you know how often my dogs sneeze in my face? or jam their noses on me?

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
If this thing takes off worldwide, just doing the math, a staggering 152 million people could die based on the percentages we have today. However, I do think the numbers could be skewed with under reported infected.

So..yeah...just wash your hands. Especially if you are out of toilet paper.
??

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Oddly enough I understand the the toilet paper, paper towel and bottled water etc.buying. If you become ill and self quarantine for 14 days. That means you stay home and away from people period (no trips to the store). So how many rolls of tp, paper towels or bottles of water would you need for yourself or your family. How much tylenol for fevers, soup for easy meals while sick or cleaning supplies to keep virus off surfaces to minimize spread in your home. So yeah one might want to think a tad bit like a prep'er if one wants to do their part to prevent spread of the virus should they become ill. Makes sense really. It's no different then every year when we stock up our hurricane kit. I look at it as preparedness.

·
Registered
533 Posts
When thinking of how to disinfect a dog, I was actually concerned about pets from people who die from this virus. What would happen to those dogs, cats, birds, etc. that lived with those people? If no one was left to care for them, do your suppose they would they be euthanized to prevent spreading the illness?

Too many questions and too few answers at this point. I know, I worry too much.

·
Registered
31,355 Posts
Well there is preparedness in "i'll stock up and buy a 12 pack of toilet paper" and panic in Australia has no toilet paper and stores are now setting limits as they restock.

·
Registered
867 Posts
When thinking of how to disinfect a dog, I was actually concerned about pets from people who die from this virus. What would happen to those dogs, cats, birds, etc. that lived with those people? If no one was left to care for them, do your suppose they would they be euthanized to prevent spreading the illness?

Too many questions and too few answers at this point. I know, I worry too much.
I think folks should be concerned ( at least to point )...there really are way to many unknowns at this point- when you see news about deaths on the west coast and yet no idea how the virus was contracted....it's a part of everyone's day to day lives that we are out in public places-getting groceries-shopping- libraries-churches---all potential places for someone to be carrying the virus and maybe not even know...I think about carrying the dogs in for routine vet checkups ...the potential is there for a human OR pet to be a carrier.....no cases yet in Virginia if it gets here I'll likely change the way i do some things day to day...I typically err towards the side of caution so we've got a decent amount of people and dog food....I hate to think about any shortage of necessities though, 'cause I've been through hurricanes---then power outages--followed by price gauging--I don't think I'm ready to pay $10 for one roll of toilet paper....again no sense in panic that helps no one....but prepared AND aware is smart...I agree there really are to many unknowns right now...

·
Super Moderator
6,285 Posts
@Pawsed the corona virus can't survive long in warm weather so it will be a seasonal concern at least.Warm water and soap should safely sanitize our animals.
I'm thinking along the lines of Springbrz....we stock up on essentials in the winter months here anyway in case of ice or snow storms and the resultant power outages.
Ideally everyone will be fastidious regarding personal cleanliness in order to slow down the spread of this virus and keep vulnerable folks safe.

·
Registered
533 Posts
corona virus can't survive long in warm weather

Is this factual or supposition? People certainly get colds in the summer, not as often, maybe, but it does happen. So little is know about this particular virus that I doubt anyone knows if it will still be around in summer.

Just found this article:

·
Registered
31,355 Posts
corona virus can't survive long in warm weather

Is this factual or supposition? People certainly get colds in the summer, not as often, maybe, but it does happen. So little is know about this particular virus that I doubt anyone knows if it will still be around in summer.
Part of the reason we get less colds in the summer is people are outside. Winter time we are all stuffed indoors so when someone starts sneezing and hacking we are more likely to walk into it.

The article I read said 132 deg F was required to kill the virus. I guess surfaces in directly sunlight could achieve that temp.

·
Registered
533 Posts
As that article pointed out, when it's summer here it is winter in the southern hemisphere. The virus would be thriving there. People who travel in those areas could bring the virus back home with them. It may slow down here, but I seriously doubt it will disappear.

It seems that Brazil now has 8 cases, and it's toward the end of summer there. Most of that country never gets cold, no matter the season.

If that temperature for eradicating the virus is correct, there wouldn't be many areas that would ever get that hot. My oven would, but that's probably it.

21 - 40 of 905 Posts