German Shepherds Forum banner

341 - 360 of 500 Posts

·
Registered
31,132 Posts
I live in a very rural area. Our school is always open to anyone so I have trained my dogs there almost every day for years. This week, there is yellow tape everywhere, buildings and facilities are closed to visitors. :(

·
Registered
829 Posts
That must be so tough, Jax. I think about people who don’t have yards and need to exercise/train their dogs. With a lot of parks and fields closed, you’re going to have a lot of dogs with pent up energy.

I do realize people are going through worse things right now. Not trying to minimize that at all. It was just a thought that crossed my mind because I was without a fenced in back yard for years...in Chicago. Come rain or shine or snow or tornados, I was outside with my dogs. lol.

Fields and parks were my saving grace.

·
Registered
53 Posts
People in my city, or at least in my part of it, are not taking the shelter in place order seriously. The governor's order has enough loopholes to drive a locomotive through.
So, the gist is, restaurants are closed for dine-in (not for take out), many stores are closed, and downtown is a ghost town, but if one ventures anywhere near a bike or walking path people are everywhere. At one point, I made my pup do a 180 and get off the path at our entrance because I could see large groups coming in each direction.

I have encountered far, far fewer people going into work this week, as opposed to taking the dog on a walk. People have discovered walking out of boredom and stir-craziness, which might be a good thing in other circumstances but probably does little to stem the spread of COVID. One could say, facetiously, but also truthfully, that the best way to engage in social distancing is to go to work downtown. At least that's the case here.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
And that's exactly why the US now has more COVID-19 cases than any country in the world!

83,507 according to John's Hopkins web site.

It's sad that people don't take it more seriously!

·
Registered
31,132 Posts
That must be so tough, Jax. I think about people who don’t have yards and need to exercise/train their dogs. With a lot of parks and fields closed, you’re going to have a lot of dogs with pent up energy.

I do realize people are going through worse things right now. Not trying to minimize that at all. It was just a thought that crossed my mind because I was without a fenced in back yard for years...in Chicago. Come rain or shine or snow or tornados, I was outside with my dogs. lol.

Fields and parks were my saving grace.
I am so very fortunate. I live in country with few people. It's not that it was hard. It's an inconvenience to have to track and train in my yard again.

What was hard was to see the school that is such a huge part of our community...where people are always walking on the track, people playing tennis, kids riding their bikes....completely shut down to everyone. It was just reality hitting you in the face.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I’m still not off work. We are considered “supply chain” essential, allowed to remain open. I’m in charge of payroll, (and so much more) so I know I have to & want to be there to make sure myself & the ones that are/have to work are get paid, we need it. I got it done the beginning of this week.
We are safe in the office, never is a lot of traffic, even less these days

But I took a couple days off to just to have some down time, rethink how we can make it work at work to keep employees safe & still keep the company running in these time.

But I promised today for myself. Got started on a project(s). Son & daughter in law are expecting #2 in this mess, Gramma is in charge of blankies. That's what we call them. I'm not good at patchwork quilts but, I do like me some cute fabric. DIL knows I'm on the job, but she doesn't get to know what to expect, except for there is got to be at least one Dr Seuss. I will not show her what i have found.

Number one.jpg

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Different direction, but that Tiger King series on Netflix is definitely out there!

I had never heard of Joe Exotic, though I'm sure he was "in the news"

I try to be selective about the "news" I consume. At any rate, it is an eye opener, and those people are all freaking crazy!

So thanks to dogfaeries' son for recommending the series, helped pass some time!

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Another, sort of random thought, is that yeah, if you ever find yourself confronted by a tiger or a liger or a lion, be calm and talk to him/her!!!

Chances are they were raised by people, and know to be nice to people!

·
Registered
130 Posts
And that's exactly why the US now has more COVID-19 cases than any country in the world!

83,507 according to John's Hopkins web site.

It's sad that people don't take it more seriously!
now i'm not trying to downplay this whole situation, but i feel these numbers/stats are skewed.. For instance, the world is now getting more and more testers than we had in the beginning, i still believe China hid or still is hiding more cases/deaths then what they are reporting, not to mention how many people have it in remote villages?

this whole thing is crazy for sure and hope everything gets back to 'normal' soon

·
Super Moderator
4,682 Posts
now i'm not trying to downplay this whole situation, but i feel these numbers/stats are skewed.. For instance, the world is now getting more and more testers than we had in the beginning, i still believe China hid or still is hiding more cases/deaths then what they are reporting, not to mention how many people have it in remote villages?

this whole thing is crazy for sure and hope everything gets back to 'normal' soon
the numbers can be tricky. One: we are going to have big numbers, we have a large population. We just can't have everyone get sick at once. I know each and every one of us would rather not get sick at all!
Two,: some people just ride it out at home. Unless they are having trouble breathing they often recommend bed rest in your own bed. Are those folks counted?
Three: In a few cases people got sick, tested and found negative for both Covid 19 and flu but had a hard time breathing and a nasty fever. What was that then?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Regarding being tested for Covid 19, here in Australia if you don't have a fever, don't show up to be tested. If you have serious symptoms, like trouble breathing, call an ambulance. In Spain, the country’s capital has been forced to stop using a Chinese rapid COVID-19 test kit after research suggested it was not accurate enough. The research found nose swabs developed by Shenzhen Bioeasy Biotechnology had an accuracy rate of less than 30 per cent.

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
Abbott Laboratories just got FDA approval for a test that gets positive result in 5 minutes and negative result in 13 minutes. They said they will be ramping up to 50K tests per day, and start distribution next week!

·
Super Moderator
5,516 Posts
So I haven’t left my property since a week ago yesterday. I don’t really have cabin fever, but the food selection is getting less appealing. Scarlet will be in season for another 7-10 days, so no walking, which is good because now I have Achilles bursitis (retrocalcaneal bursitis). It’s not the first time, but it’s just one more stupid thing to deal with. It is sooooo painful. Walking is terrible. Ugh.

·
Registered
7,410 Posts
Yes thankfully we are getting tests. Otherwise it’s quite hard to track. I know parts of Florida ran out of tests. In NY -My brother’s friend and wife have a fever and cough and they have a baby and they were told they can not be tested unless hospitalized. New York parts of New Jersey and Connecticut may have a mandatory quarantine. I know two corona virus patients in NYC were treated with a drug used in HIV and breast cancer patients. They were able to be taken off ventilators because of this drug.

·
Super Moderator
6,142 Posts
We did go to the grocery store.I waited in the truck and hubby used sanitizer before and after.I saw several other people waiting in vehicles.Our Chewy order is 7days late now!Dog food is wiped out at TS but the local feed mill has plenty so I'm glad the dogs can handle different kibble with no gastric upsets.
Hubby stays busy with online classes and I'm poking around outside cleaning garden beds which I don't enjoy so much in my winter gear.Where's the darned sun!?
My daughter and her fellow employees at the hospital have their temps taken in a tent set up outside when they come and go.They aren't slammed with patients yet,just a few so far.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
We don't eat out often. Maybe once a month. Since the only options now are to go and we don't do fast food I decided to support a local mom and pop Mexican place up the street. I called in my order. Waited the 20 minutes and off I went to retrieve dinner.
The doors were propped open with chairs so no door handles to touch. The host stand is right by the door but there weren't but two other customers waiting (away from the door/host area) when I walked in. They had put all the chairs on the tables and tipped the booth tables so people couldn't sit. That left plenty of open space for distancing. All the staff were taking precautions. Cooks brought the food out all bagged and tagged and placed the orders on the table near the door. The host verified the tag and took payment. They were actively sanitizing the host area, credit card reader and pens ( forgot mine) between customers.
What caught me off guard was hearing the host ask the customer before me if they wanted beer to take with them. I was like ...Whaaa???
So I asked if I heard her correctly when my order came up. Hostess said yup...you can get alcohol to go with your order. So indeed I got my hubs a bottle of beer to go with his quesadilla.
I don't know about other places but here in Virginia the ABC board takes on/off alcohol sales very seriously and this relaxing of the rules is astonishing. I kinda like it.
The service was great taking care of staff and customers all with smiles and kindness. Food was delish as always. I left a big tip as I appreciate them being open so I didn't have to cook this one night and I want them to still be in business when this virus outbreak is a thing of the past.

·
Super Moderator
6,142 Posts
They've done the same here- you can get alcohol to take out from restaurants.Your DH must have been pleasantly surprised :giggle:

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
They've done the same here- you can get alcohol to take out from restaurants.Your DH must have been pleasantly surprised :giggle:
Oh he was! But we eat pretty low carb most of the time and with that huge flour tortilla, the chips and salsa and a beer (low carb at that) he went into a carb coma around 8 pm lol !!!

341 - 360 of 500 Posts