German Shepherds Forum banner

301 - 320 of 386 Posts

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
Horton hears a Who!!!
And the turtles of course all the turtles are free as turtles and maybe all creatures should be. Yertle the Turtle!
@ Fodder, I wasn't complaining I just thought it was funny. This is the most bizarre thread ever.

And I WANT a virus blanket!

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
@dogfaeries They are beautiful. I made a feather and fan shawl a few months ago, then a plain shawl, dark green, and a sparkly scarf. I’m working with royal blue mohair now and it keeps tangling.

·
Super Moderator
5,504 Posts
@dogfaeries They are beautiful. I made a feather and fan shawl a few months ago, then a plain shawl, dark green, and a sparkly scarf. I’m working with royal blue mohair now and it keeps tangling.
It’s so addicting, and relaxing! Sometimes I just want to go to a yarn store and pet all the yarn.

·
Registered
7,388 Posts
Im glad to here everyone is well. Im with dogma it’s hard to get motivated when there is so much uncertainty ahead I felt flooded before now gee. We added a horse to our family February 14 and keeping my daughter and myself busy. It was right before all this started it seems like a different life. Not the greatest time at all if I had known but she is certainly and will certainly keep our heads sane. Thankfully my mom is home now from the hospital rehab and recovering from surgery well. I am in New York - not in the city. My kids and I are laying low. The states are hugely overwhelmed. Cuomo has been pushing for help from federal for weeks hopefully we will be getting more beds and medical supplies. I talked to a woman who her dad is in charge and they are turning dorms into hospital rooms. The Jacob Javit center will also be used for hospitals. My cousin is a nurse that works with corona virus patients in a hospital that deals with the corona Virus. She was in Facebook pleading for n95 masks for the hospital they are running out. Im not a drinker but I made sure I had some vodka on hand for sure- why not- lol it has multi purposes. My gyno called I had my 6 month appoinment they are cancelling all appointments until further notice. I still have my oncologist app for a check- have not yet decided if I want to go in or not. No shortages of animal food. Although I heard at times the super markets gets low in dog food but shelves to get restocked. I call all the food stores ahead of time and people seem happy and do not mind to go down the list of what they don’t have. there is also a page on Facebook people listing what all the super markets have. Toilet paper and Lysol products , bleach and hand sanitZers are always out. Some stores will have paper towels. Some stores seem to know when they have trucks coming and others don’t. Older people get to shop in the early morning when stores are cleaned and shelves are stocked. I hope all the grocery workers really get elevated pay during and after all this. We all are in shelter in now only able to go out for essentials. Right now my sister And she to is a nurse glad to have a nurse in the family is picking some things up for me and occasionally my ex. Trying to limit my time in the big supermarkets. I found a great butcher where it’s small not busy at all and they are very clean. If you are on Facebook there are often groups of people in your town and a few People offer to go shopping for those who may find it hard to get out. I heard the jails let some prisoners go the ones to have weakens immune systems and not so dangerous supposedly. Schools are suppose to go back April 1 - not sure how that will pan out but can’t imagine them going back at all till after summer. My aunt makes beautiful shawls I wish I had those skills. One night we will have craft night YouTubing making masks and face shields who would of ever thought. I am no sewer but good to have and sure I can scrounge up some materials around here. Sure glad to have my dogs around. At night my kids and I watch the office need a break from all this. I do not want the series to be over. It’s good to get some good laughs in. SO much gardening my son a big help with this. So much to do and that will keep us busy for sure. Just thought this photo was cute. For all those are on Instagram and like the water lot of gorgeous Sunrises and sunsets on the water with nice music - I find it very relaxing.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
It’s so addicting, and relaxing! Sometimes I just want to go to a yarn store and pet all the yarn.
I have enough here fortunately, since we aren’t allowed to leave for anything except necessities. Someone just gave me a big bag she didn’t want. I know what you mean. Each yarn has its own feel and texture.

·
Registered
62 Posts
new moon was forecast to occur early this morning. It's basically THE best day of the year to sew almost anything. For example if a dam either breeds or whelps within the last/next 2 or 3 days, vigor will be elevated. Some seeds need a long time to germinate. Curled parsley, for example, takes a long time to germinate. But lots of veggie seeds will literally POP real quick if you get them warm and wet ASAP. If you start a little packet of indeterminate tomatoes real quick, come July you'll have a JUNGLE. If you've never grown a garden before, this might be a good year to try? My all time favorite gardening tip: if it isn't fun, you're doing it wrong.
Come to think of it, first spring moon = vigor for parasites (flea,tic,worm, etc.) as well, so be on the look out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I’m doing a lot of informative reading, as I do anyways, but much more lately as probably a lot of people are.

Mental Health care workers are suggesting that we stop using the phrase “social distancing” and replace with “Physical distancing”. In times of need or stress we need fellowship, we need social contact, we need human interaction, but we need to do it safely. We need to know we are not alone in a somewhat frightening time.

Living on a dead end street, we all know everyone, or mostly, or know what they are up to. 10 houses doesn’t give you much room to hide!

I want to share a picture of how we are dealing in our neighbourhood.

We are being social, yet responsible. Hubby had the heavy duty tape measure in his pocket on the ready, even a bad joke is good for him! We left ½ the road open behind us for people walking, no need to worry about car traffic, cause the only traffic should be us & our cars are in our driveways!

The picture is fuzzy on purpose to not invade my neighbours privacy.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Missing from the picture is the some what “reclusive” neighbour, the Golden & her human & the 14 year old Sheltie & her human. They headed in early as it started getting cold. We are old school, we talk 1st, think of picture taking second!

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I took the dog for a walk and my husband had a Zoom beer bash with 10 colleagues from a professional group he is part of. One of the members is retiring. They couldn't have a traditional party. So they got together via Zoom and had a video get together. Hubs didn't have any beer so he opted for a single malt scotch. When I returned from our walk they all seemed to be having some good laughs. It's not the same as a being in person but the plus side...there was no drinking and driving :)

In this digital age it is a whole lot easier to stay in touch visually then any other time in history.
I know a woman who's husband is deployed in the army. They skyped through her entire labor and delivery earlier this month. How great is that! Granted it's harder for the much older folks who aren't tech savy but for the Millennials and Gen Zer's who have grown up with tech they aren't really having any trouble staying connected.

I agree the term social distancing sounds depressing and physical distancing sounds more accurate. TBH honest I think if you look closely there is some good in all of this. Kids and parents are being forced to reconnect in a better way if they take advantage of the down time from the go...go...go life. That for more than a few is probably a good thing in the long run.

And on a lighter note: Today part of our interstate highway was shut down this morning because a wayward cow refused to get off the highway. She refused to Mooooove over...LOL!

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I was thinking about this and really, for me, the only issue is the lack of work. I have no friends, I don't socialize. I dislike people touching me and have been know to get out of line ups if people invade my bubble. Which is ironically enough about 6 feet. I have always stockpiled canned and dry goods. I repair my clothes rather then replace them and do half my laundry by hand. I can make most food from scratch. I grow medicinal herbs. I'm really well prepared for an apocalypse. Lol.
I'm the crazy old lady with the dog and the rifle at the end of the road:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was thinking about this and really, for me, the only issue is the lack of work. I have no friends, I don't socialize. I dislike people touching me and have been know to get out of line ups if people invade my bubble. Which is ironically enough about 6 feet. I have always stockpiled canned and dry goods. I repair my clothes rather then replace them and do half my laundry by hand. I can make most food from scratch. I grow medicinal herbs. I'm really well prepared for an apocalypse. Lol.
I'm the crazy old lady with the dog and the rifle at the end of the road:ROFLMAO:
You
repair your clothing.. do you have a have a sewing machine? its starting here, the request to make masks. I don't think we are in dire need yet, but, keeps people engaged, gives them a purpose

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Sabis mom are we related...lol! OK so I don't hand wash clothes unless I have too. My herbs are just the standard variety but I have them just the same. Growing up poor we always stockpiled canned/dry goods when the money was there and the sales were good. It's a habit I never outgrew. I don't have but 2 friends and I generally don't like crowds or people in my space. I can sew (nothing fancy) and I'm a pretty darn good cook from scratch. The gun is kept handy and I live on a cul de sac. I have the dog and I'm pretty sure a lot of people think I'm a bit nuts.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
You
repair your clothing.. do you have a have a sewing machine? its starting here, the request to make masks. I don't think we are in dire need yet, but, keeps people engaged, gives them a purpose
At the moment my machine is in my trailer in Timmins, which the stupid storage yard allowed to get hit and knocked of the block, sunk into the mud and now frozen behind the snowbank they plowed in front of it!. I will be very happy to get it out of there and I haven't seen my belongings in over a year! Gonna be like Christmas opening that thing up!

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I understand this thread has become more chat than corona virus, but I thought it might also be good to share some good news!

In China, 73,280, out of 81,591 cases, have fully recovered!!! And before you go calculating those numbers, be aware that the one's that have not yet recovered are not necessarily deceased, there are many that are still sick and "pending".

But, hey, those are good numbers!

To put that in perspective a bit. In the 2017-2018 flu season, 45 million cases in the US alone, and 61 thousand deaths in the US alone!

This virus is bad yes, don't take it lightly!

But don't overreact either! It'll pass!

Be safe!

·
Registered
62 Posts

I thought I'd mention real quick. Hope a few here might give it a try. This is my bread starter. I've had it going for yrs. Montana gold is my favorite flour but it's out of stock, so I just ordered 25lbs dakota mills. This starter is made from juniper berries, but you can catch yeast from lots of things. I don't like to call it "sourdough" because it makes it sound so... sour... I prefer the term "naturally risen."
Anyway, half science, half art. Trial and error at first. What works here may not work there (elevation, water, etc) so you just have to tweak locally and figure it out. Plenty of info online if anyone is interested. Be safe, all.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
View attachment 558238
I thought I'd mention real quick. Hope a few here might give it a try. This is my bread starter. I've had it going for yrs. Montana gold is my favorite flour but it's out of stock, so I just ordered 25lbs dakota mills. This starter is made from juniper berries, but you can catch yeast from lots of things. I don't like to call it "sourdough" because it makes it sound so... sour... I prefer the term "naturally risen."
Anyway, half science, half art. Trial and error at first. What works here may not work there (elevation, water, etc) so you just have to tweak locally and figure it out. Plenty of info online if anyone is interested. Be safe, all.
Went to the local store wanting bread and they were out...so, I looked for yeast, also out.

My concoction is now about 5 days old, and foaming up nicely!

It turns out, yeast is in the atmosphere...no need to do anything but give it a medium to grow in.

I have yet to actually try it, but it is pretty cool just as a science experiment, if nothing else!

If it actually makes bread rise, I'm sold! Now I need to come up with a name.

Appearantly it is a common thing among people who keep this stuff (sometimes for several generations) to name their starter...

I'm leaning toward hairy, due to the dog hair that's been finding it's way in...also from the atmosphere when a GSD is in residence...but that may turn non-GSD people away. Go figure.

Oh well, still looking for neutral ground...

301 - 320 of 386 Posts