German Shepherds Forum banner

281 - 300 of 386 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Well Ziva is out of raw food. I had enough for a week and a half but when I went to the store a week and a half ago there was no affordable meat available. She has been being picky the last few weeks and I've pretty much been cooking her meat so she will eat it as she has been turning her nose up at raw meat after all these years.Anyway no fresh meat for her so it's fully the back up kibble. Thankfully she has been accepting more kibble daily. TBH if she continues to do well on kibble through all this I may just stick with it. It's cheaper and so much easier than then raw prep. As long as her GI tract stays good I'm good with the kibble.

Now if her limp would just go away as I'm down to one rimadyl dose. Because only my dog would hurt herself in some unknown way at the start of a pandemic. We know when she did it. We just don't what she did. She was all excited that her human sister was home a week ago saturday. We were in the hall and she walked back to DH in living room holding up her paw. No yelp, no whining in pain, just holding up her paw. DH announced she was hurt. Checked her over. She didn't seem to mind being prodded. dosed her with rimadyl and have been limiting to walks (no play). She hates the limits and the limp is better but ever so slightly still there after 9 days. We think she hit her shoulder on the door casing. So I hope I can reach one of her two vets and get some more meds without a hassle.

The husband is still going into his office. Only 3 or 4 people show up daily and he hides out in his office. Pretty sure he could work from home but think he wants to go into work. When he retires we'll probably kill each other...lol!
So far so good. Trips to the store are limited.

Life goes on...

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I am going to be a burden! I haven't really got anyone but you all, so you need to step up and entertain me darn it!

BTW has anyone else pondered the fact that this thread is still in Health Issues? Are we talking mental health? lol

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Yeah, as time goes on that's certainly going to be an issue! So far, and it's only been a couple weeks, I'm finding ways to keep busy. But how long can people go without human contact? Fortunately we have nice neighbors that come outside and chat feom afar, so that helps!

·
Super Moderator
5,504 Posts
My 30 year old niece and her 6 month old baby live with me. We have plenty to keep us busy! Scarlet is incredibly gentle with him, which considering she’s not around children or babies, is great. I’m not very social (okay, not at all), so I don’t miss people. I miss just milling around in a store. Wandering aimlessly. Actually I miss a definite schedule. You know, go to work, have the weekend off, go to work, etc. I don’t like being on hold, I guess.

·
Super Moderator
6,106 Posts
It is hard to get motivated when it feels like you're just waiting around for more news before you can move on and go about your life.I'm going to make a list of projects to peck away at daily.We are on the lists of a few community organizations and on call in case they are in need of delivery services.Take the dogs for a hike in the woods and de-mudding them takes a big chunk of time and is always fun.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey! No updates today? Everyone still hanging in there? My province just announced non essential businesses are ordered closed. And Manitoba has closed provincial borders. No non essential travel out of or into the province.
Checking in with Yertle the Turtle 😅

·
Registered
58 Posts
I cancelled my cleaning lady today since she is in a different home every day over a two week period. We are going to pay her though anyway, the same as small businesses are paying employees right now to stay home. Private cleaning people can't collect employment insurance.
Not sure where you are in Canada, but things are being put in place that people that aren't usually covered by Employment insurance will have access to some funds. My niece is in the same situation right now as she runs her own business and can't see her clients. I haven't found out the whole details yet but might be something you could pass on to her. But thank you for helping out!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
You can join the Pub Choir, a Brisbane initiative who enlisted more than 1000 singers from across the globe to belt out The Carpenters hit song 'Close to You' – each from the coronavirus-fuelled isolation of their own homes.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Discussion Starter #290
I am going to be a burden! I haven't really got anyone but you all, so you need to step up and entertain me darn it!

BTW has anyone else pondered the fact that this thread is still in Health Issues? Are we talking mental health? lol
I originally posted this in "General"...if I remember correctly. And one of the mods moved it to the Health section.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I’m still here, lol. Crocheting like a mad woman. Still haven’t weed-eated the dog yard. It keeps raining, so the yard is squishy.

Got ahold of all my grooming customers for the week to cancel them. Everyone has been super good about it, so at least I haven’t had to argue with any of them (yet). Decided that on Mondays I’ll call off that week’s dogs. Since we don’t know how long this will be, thought it best to tackle it week to week. We are the only grooming shop in town that has closed, well, Petsmart closing their grooming. It’s just not worth the risk right now.

Woke up at 5:00 am with a full blown panic attack, so I kind of need a nap.
What are you making? I made a shawl and a scarf. I was going to clean and then get my sewing machine out, but then I started playing a video game and it was more fun than housework and less of a mess than sewing.

My only outings are a once weekly trip to the market but I got annoyed because people refuse to distance. I was unable to get a few items, but overdid it on produce because I couldn’t get any for two weeks. Our local markets were literally empty! Then I didn’t know if the food packaging had germs on it. When did we get so paranoid? I wore gloves in the market. I decided to take this seriously and stay healthy. I have to admit, staying home is much more fun than I thought it would be. I’ve been invited to two online group chat thingies tomorrow with friends. We tested it out tonight and my dogs decided to have a play fight. I put them on camera and everyone was startled at how big they looked and how scary. One lady said my male is really a wolf. They kind of disrupted the whole chat, so I had to separate them, and put them into Place spots on opposite ends of the the room. They are not invited tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
6,669 Posts
I originally posted this in "General"...if I remember correctly. And one of the mods moved it to the Health section.
lol, it was probably me, as the thread started out about pet medications - it’s taken lots of twists and turns since then. i tried to think of a clever response to @Sabis mom and ask if it should be moved to herding, obedience and rally or fun and games. heh. anyway.... wherever you guys want it, i’d be happy to move it again... temporarily stick it or whatever else you have in mind. it’s certainly serving many purposes for us these days.

·
Registered
58 Posts
can I vent?

I’ll try to make a long, long story short. My German has Megaesophagus. She turned 11 at the beginning of December, so apparently we have this mostly under control. One of the most important things in dealing with this, is the consistency of her food. Product, texture, amount…..there is no one solution for every dog.

So I couple weeks ago, as things are just starting, not even really bad, I sent hubby to get an extra bag of food. He questioned me, we have some, but my math mind & my gut feeling made me do it. Glad I/he did. Not available in our store, so I immediately went online & ordered a bag. Slow delivery, but we finally got it. We are okay for about 2 months.

Because of my calculating mind & her “health” issues, I have been thinking of maybe having one more bag in case things get harder to source. And now her food is not longer available in store here, or anywhere near, not even hours drive nor available online.

And… here is where I get Angry! I’ve been keeping an eye on purchasing online. Its finally available! Yay! I put it in my cart, add couple more items to make my $50 “free” shipping mark (don’t want hubby to run out of deodorant!) and…then.. I have to add my Postal Code. Not Available!!!! Apparently if I lived in the Big cities in Ontario, I can sit on my butt, order online & have grocery pickup at my desired scheduled pick up time or for $7.95 (plus taxes!) I can have someone deliver it to my house! And yet I cant get it here at all. Why send it to Northern Ontario to a city of 75,000 people where we need it, when we can keep it in the South, in the big cities and have the population to probably buy it.

I guess my short version of a long story failed!

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Yeah, as time goes on that's certainly going to be an issue! So far, and it's only been a couple weeks, I'm finding ways to keep busy. But how long can people go without human contact? Fortunately we have nice neighbors that come outside and chat feom afar, so that helps!
I’m staying in touch with everyone. I have two elderly neighbors. One is 94, still drives and she and her husband are alone in their home. I called to see if she needed anything but she said the neighbors on either side are shopping for her. The other one goes shopping a lot and I’m not sure why, as she survived cancer. But she is fine and cheery. Everyone else is calling or texting. My church is online, even the music. And I can finally binge watch all the shows I missed. It must be harder for people who live alone, though. It was a bit scary when my two markets had no meat, almost no produce, canned goods, rice, pasta, butter, eggs or quarts of milk, both on the same day. I was able to cobble together some meal from things I already had in the freezer and the few items I could buy. Celery, a single bag of lettuce, cucumbers and I still had tomatoes. I went again on the weekend to one store and it was almost fully stocked. They were out of odd things, though, like lemons, onions, avocados and whipped cream. They had two shelves of pasta but no sauce.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
can I vent?

I’ll try to make a long, long story short. My German has Megaesophagus. She turned 11 at the beginning of December, so apparently we have this mostly under control. One of the most important things in dealing with this, is the consistency of her food. Product, texture, amount…..there is no one solution for every dog.

So I couple weeks ago, as things are just starting, not even really bad, I sent hubby to get an extra bag of food. He questioned me, we have some, but my math mind & my gut feeling made me do it. Glad I/he did. Not available in our store, so I immediately went online & ordered a bag. Slow delivery, but we finally got it. We are okay for about 2 months.

Because of my calculating mind & her “health” issues, I have been thinking of maybe having one more bag in case things get harder to source. And now her food is not longer available in store here, or anywhere near, not even hours drive nor available online.

And… here is where I get Angry! I’ve been keeping an eye on purchasing online. Its finally available! Yay! I put it in my cart, add couple more items to make my $50 “free” shipping mark (don’t want hubby to run out of deodorant!) and…then.. I have to add my Postal Code. Not Available!!!! Apparently if I lived in the Big cities in Ontario, I can sit on my butt, order online & have grocery pickup at my desired scheduled pick up time or for $7.95 (plus taxes!) I can have someone deliver it to my house! And yet I cant get it here at all. Why send it to Northern Ontario to a city of 75,000 people where we need it, when we can keep it in the South, in the big cities and have the population to probably buy it.

I guess my short version of a long story failed!
Let me know what you need, pm if you prefer and maybe I can snag some here?

·
Super Moderator
6,106 Posts
I think I remember moving [email protected] you can move it to wherever makes the most sense.Chat maybe??

·
Registered
58 Posts
Let me know what you need, pm if you prefer and maybe I can snag some here?
I'm okay, just my personality is not giving me a break! We are still fine. But i will keep that in mind

I have a feeling if I said what i needed, you would go on a mission regardless. Thank you

Hmm, Reminds me of......Horton! ;)😅 (I have not seen anyone to reply to Yertle! :(

You and the "Punk" Keep safe

·
Super Moderator
5,504 Posts
What are you making? I made a shawl and a scarf. I was going to clean and then get my sewing machine out, but then I started playing a video game and it was more fun than housework and less of a mess than sewing.
Okay, I know it’s kind of screwy, but I’m crocheting a virus blanket. That's the actual pattern name, lol. I got the pattern off YouTube, from a guy called Fiber Spider. The pattern's been out for a couple of years.

The one I started this weekend is done in earthy tones.

Here’s a photo of the first several rounds of the one one I did this winter. I guess I should take a photo of the finished throw. It was fun.

281 - 300 of 386 Posts