German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 523 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is the right place to start this topic. This is my first time starting a thread. So mods, move it to the right section if I did this wrong.

A lot of people are stocking up on supplies. I watch a lot of business news (CNBC and Fox Business). A couple days ago, it was mentioned that people should stock up on some medications for their pets. At least 3 drug companies/pharmas have a shortage of inventory due to the corona virus. There are ingredients in a lot of drug medications that come from China. If your dog is on somewhat long term medication, I would find out soon if your dog's drugs are on that list and if it is, stock up.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thanks tc68 for starting this thread. Dog folks also need to decide how much "socializing" they will continue doing with
their dogs since the dog in China was found to be carrying the virus.
Some areas are not getting the news just yet because their area hasn't been deemed a 'hot spot' for the virus.
Some scientists are saying there are probably 1,000 or more people walking around with the virus who haven't been tested yet. For older persons or anyone with underlying health problems any group get togethers may need to be curtailed. The c. virus could be around for several months since not much is being done to stop it or contain it.

·
Super Moderator
4,682 Posts
while we were all thinking about masks and hand soap, it is was far too easy to over look the fact that many medicines , prescription and over the counter, are made in China. If a factory has to be closed from being short staffed or transportation becomes stalled, we could see shortages here. Thanks for the reminder that this might include dog meds.

·
Registered
31,145 Posts
I'm shocked that people are just now discovering hand washing etiquette.

The evidence so far suggests animals are not a risk of infection. It's more likely the dog was contaminated with the virus much like any other surface.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All this hype about what???? It’s a virus for gosh sake. The flu is more dangerous then the corona virus.
Wash your hands in soap and hot water for 3min nothing new people.
Any virus is bad for the elder people with low immunity and children.
It may or may not be a big deal...but the fact is if your dogs/pets need vital medications to survive, it may be a good idea to look into it and see if you need to "stock up" or not. Because who knows when the factories will be able to get the necessary ingredients again to make the drugs. If your dog is healthy, this doesn't concern you... read and move on.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Also, (I'm in Australia), my dentist requires a quarantine period if I've been in contact with anyone who's recently been through Singapore, Dubai or Abu Dhabi. There are more countries on his list. If you have friends or family visiting who've recently been travelling internationally through an at risk country, have your medical appointments before you see them.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
This is a good topic. It is not just medications for your pets but for humans as well. Shipping volumes from China and other countries in that area are already down. This problem is only going to grow as the weeks roll on. I agree that in reality influenza is just as big and possibly a bigger health risk every year. We have become accustom to the flu as part of our lives. The new coronavirus is just that...new. Media is making it a more scary thing. Is this going to spread across the globe...yup. We just need to be smart, proactive, not panic and wash our hands and stop touching our faces. This to shall pass.

·
Registered
31,145 Posts
It may or may not be a big deal...but the fact is if your dogs/pets need vital medications to survive, it may be a good idea to look into it and see if you need to "stock up" or not. Because who knows when the factories will be able to get the necessary ingredients again to make the drugs. If your dog is healthy, this doesn't concern you... read and move on.
Pets, people, etc. The facts are this pandemic caused a shortage of raw materials. It's also caused a panic and people are CLEANING out the shelves. Having a full script of meds is always a good idea.

As far as the seriousness of this virus vs the flu... this is more serious than the flu for various reasons. Mainly because we have zero herd immunity to this virus and the mortality rate is much higher than the flu when looking at confirmed cases. This should be taken seriously for those of us with an underlying condition or family that has underlying conditions such as my father, my husband and my daughter. It's offensive when people brush off a serious respiratory illness that could be devastating for others.

·
Registered
933 Posts
No need to get testy.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Pets, people, etc. The facts are this pandemic caused a shortage of raw materials. It's also caused a panic and people are CLEANING out the shelves. Having a full script of meds is always a good idea.

As far as the seriousness of this virus vs the flu... this is more serious than the flu for various reasons. Mainly because we have zero herd immunity to this virus and the mortality rate is much higher than the flu when looking at confirmed cases. This should be taken seriously for those of us with an underlying condition or family that has underlying conditions such as my father, my husband and my daughter. It's offensive when people brush off a serious respiratory illness that could be devastating for others.

Apparently anything anyone says or does is offensive. I have my opinion just like everyone else.

·
Registered
31,145 Posts
Apparently anything anyone says or does is offensive. I have my opinion just like everyone else.
You are absolutely correct. You can have an opinion and I can have mine. As you stated to TC68, no need to get testy.

I also like facts from reputable sources and to show a little empathy for people that can be seriously affected by events. You carry on doing you.

·
Super Moderator
6,148 Posts
We all have been guilty of speaking/posting thoughtlessly at times.There are members here that have valid serious concerns about this pandemic.Please lets share facts only,and not opinions and speculation.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I don't know if this is the right place to start this topic. This is my first time starting a thread. So mods, move it to the right section if I did this wrong.

A lot of people are stocking up on supplies. I watch a lot of business news (CNBC and Fox Business). A couple days ago, it was mentioned that people should stock up on some medications for their pets. At least 3 drug companies/pharmas have a shortage of inventory due to the corona virus. There are ingredients in a lot of drug medications that come from China. If your dog is on somewhat long term medication, I would find out soon if your dog's drugs are on that list and if it is, stock up.
Great thread...times like this IMO a person's better off to think and plan ahead....then to find out when you need it most a product isn't available, in this case meds...since most meds nowadays come from China or India well worth preparing ahead for....really depends on how bad it actually gets in China--how long production plants are shut down....hard to tell really because I don't think China is 100% truthful....code word of the day is they're not completely "transparent"...

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Has anyone been able to find a list of drugs/manufacturers expected to have supply problems? It wasn't in the FDA's press release, and I haven't seen it published elsewhere. Has anyone else seen it published?

BTW re hand-washing: if you've never watched (and had your family watch) a video on how to properly wash your hands to prevent infection spread, WHO has a pretty good one on YouTube:

Just watching women at the sink in public restrooms in the U.S. confirms most don't know how to wash up properly (quick rubbing of the palms with soap.....um, no!) -- and my hub says a lot men in restrooms are even worse (many apparently just put their hands under running water for a second or two with no soap to "wash" them). I started counting seconds out-loud, quietly to myself as I'm going through the WHO-technique steps at public sinks. I've seen people watching me curiously -- and then they wash longer. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
All this hype about what???? It’s a virus for gosh sake. The flu is more dangerous then the corona virus.
Wash your hands in soap and hot water for 3min nothing new people.
Any virus is bad for the elder people with low immunity and children.
The flu has a mortality rate of about 1%. The Corona virus currently has a mortality rate of about 3.4%, as per the WHO. The common flu is not more dangerous than the Corona virus.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
There is now a national toilet paper shortage as well as bottled water, hand sanitizer and paper towels. I went to Costco and there was no toilet paper and they were nearly out of water. I’m not sure why the water panic since most of us have tap water or wells. I have a two month supply of prescription dog food, which I always keep on hand and a four month for my other dog. Neither is on regular meds except for flea protection.

·
Registered
31,145 Posts
Toilet paper is priority #1. People are out of control. I drink bottled water because our well water sucks. I'm going to be bummed if I can't get any.

1 - 20 of 523 Posts