German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jett has what I believe to be allergies to corn, wheat, and chicken.
While I've not had him tested, ive eliminated all those out of his diet and all his allergic symptoms have been gone for over 2 years.
SOOOO....what I am looking for are homemade treats that don't have any of the above ingredients. If anyone has any recipes I'd be very honored if you would share them.

·
Registered
153 Posts
This is not a recipe and maybe you already know about these but I use freeze dried liver, freeze dried lung, freeze dried white fish.... my pup adores these treats and they do not contain wheat or corn. We buy them at the pet food store.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
You could get a piece of steak & cut it up into small pieces for training, I like using london broil and if its on sale you get a lot of treats.

Liver brownies, never met a dog that didn't love them:
1 cup flour (try a subsitute or eliminate for your dogs alergy)
2 cups potato flakes
1/2 cup chicken broth (can use 1 cup to make more moist)
2 eggs
1lb of liver (beef or chicken)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
I use my food processer to chop the liver. Pour into mixing bowl. I put the chicken broth & eggs in the food processer (makes for easier cleaning). Then mix all ingredients together. Put in greased pan (I use 2 cake pans).
Bake for 25-30 minutes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the ideas. The freeze dried treats and liver brownies sound very promising.
I wonder if the turkey treats could be made with ground beef? I just worry about using any protein that is poultry since I know Jett appears to be sensative to chicken.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thank you all for the ideas. The freeze dried treats and liver brownies sound very promising.
I wonder if the turkey treats could be made with ground beef? I just worry about using any protein that is poultry since I know Jett appears to be sensative to chicken.
I'm sure they could. That's the great thing about cooking, experimenting! :) Plus, they had a list of variations on that link, I think.

Our dogs can't have chicken, wheat, or corn either...at least, not in kibble. They seem to do fine with small bits of chicken when I am doing some cooking. I wonder if its the by products and chicken meal or other things they are allergic to....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow mine love chicken, We had a whole rotary chicken up on our counter , came back and it was gone , the whole thing bones and all, I know dogs are not suppose to have chicken bones, but it was to late, never hurt them but was scared the whole time. our trainer uses chicken breast chopped up for training , she said you need something that gets their attention , works well for my dogs.:wild:

·
Super Moderator
32,304 Posts
Are you only interested in recipes to make your own treats, or would you also like suggestions for commercial treats without corn, wheat or chicken?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts