German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are about to get our own house (so we'll be able to have dogs) and we sorely miss our German Shepherd/Belgian Mallinois mix, Odin. He was 2 years old and suddenly passed, without warning. I'm certain it was a heart event. Our 16 year old was the only one home at the time. He said he heard him bark really loudly and strangely from outside and when he went out to check on him he was unresponsive. ☹😖 Anyway... I'm set on getting another Shepherd, but my wife is set on getting a smaller pup but I wanted to make sure whatever we got would get along with the shepherd. From everything I read here, Corgis are the top, smaller dog that gets along famously with German Shepherds.

I planned on getting a male Shepherd and a female corgi, is that a good idea? Of course I plan on spaying and neutering them but would the same sex be preferable, or does it matter?

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
The girl that shows Scarlet for me breeds and shows GSDs and Cardigans. I’ve never heard her talk about any problems between her breeds. Yes, I would do opposite sexes.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss, that is just too sad.. can't imagine losing one so young.
In terms of getting two dogs, I would go with opposite sex and make sure they aren't both puppies. From everything i've heard raising two puppies at the same time is a major pain. Maybe rescue one of them that's a couple years old and get a puppy?

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss, that is just too sad.. can't imagine losing one so young.
In terms of getting two dogs, I would go with opposite sex and make sure they aren't both puppies. From everything i've heard raising two puppies at the same time is a major pain. Maybe rescue one of them that's a couple years old and get a puppy?
From what I've seen personally you can also have issues with dogs at any age bonding with each other too much. Not the same as raising two puppies or litter mate syndrome but can cause issues. I'd get one dog at a time. Get one, bond with them and get their training to where you want them, then get another one. Make sure to spend a lot of time with the new one separate from the other dog.

I can't see why corgis wouldn't work, tough little dogs meant for herding. not sure which you'd be better off with first though, and it is generally recommended to get a male/female pairing.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Corgis are high activity dogs and can be challenging to train. If I was getting two, I would get a two year old Corgi already trained, preferably from a good breeder who is giving one up and a German Shepherd puppy.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
GSD’s & Corgis must be paired well together. We had two owners in class that owned both at the same time.

I think their smart, neat little dogs.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Every Corgi I've ever interacted with has been extremely dog aggressive. My ex's family had several, and my rottie pit mix grew up around them, yet they were still super reactive towards him when he was near fully grown. Because of that I personally am not a fan of the breed. In terms of smaller breeds, I really like Shihpoos, Whippets, and Miniature Pinschers.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Every mini-pin I've ever met has been a complete jerk. I know two Corgi breeders, and neither has EVER complained of their dogs being aggressive to others. They owned Cardigans, though, the corgi with a tail.

·
Super Moderator
5,385 Posts
Yes, there are two separate Corgi breeds, Pembroke (no tail) and Cardigan (tail). I'm a fan of the Cardigan. They don't seem as bratty and outgoing with strangers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good information! I thought raising 2 puppies at the same time might help them get along better but bonding with one separately first does make sense, and I didn't even consider the doubling up on puppy training frustration.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Good information! I thought raising 2 puppies at the same time might help them get along better but bonding with one separately first does make sense, and I didn't even consider the doubling up on puppy training frustration.
I have two GSD’s, one 8, the puppy 13 weeks. It’s the perfect age distance for me. I also never wanted two seniors at the same time. My parents lost 3 all within 18 months of each other. It was heartbreaking for them.

There’s no way I could possibly give two puppies the appropriate amount of attention. Pups are a lot of work, at least for me! lol

·
Registered
393 Posts
My daughter has 2 GSD's, an 8 1/2 year old male and a 2 1/2 year old female. She just got a Pembroke last week, she's 15 weeks old. So far, so good with the older dogs. Her corgi puppy is extremely friendly and outgoing. We also know several people that have both GSD's and corgi's. I wouldn't hesitate to raise the 2 breeds together.

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
I would also agree two pups at the same time are a handful and more effort to bond and train. It can be done but with great effort. Corgis are sweet dogs. I can’t sweet why they would not get along. I would still still want to raise one pup at a time. Both herding breeds. They are stocky little dogs to. Have to post this video because it just to dam cute not to!!!! I smile like mad every time I watch this corgi video!!!!
https://youtu.be/f5KyMNDJE6o

1 - 14 of 14 Posts