German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My very favorite cardigan corgi is up for sale! He’s a champion, has other titles too, and is the cutest, sweetheart of a dog. He belongs to my handler. They don’t need another dog of his color to breed, so they want him to go to a home. They aren’t in any hurry, and are very picky about where he goes. Because I’ve not worked in forever, and subsequently that makes me kinda poor, I just can’t do it. This dog has had a serious fan club since he was a baby, so I know someone will snap him up. I just wanted to whine about it.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
I like Corgis, had a few next to my Gram when I was a kid. They are like attitudal GSDs with no legs, lol.

·
Super Moderator
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This Cardi is a hoot. I met him when he was about 5 months old - he’s 2 now. When I say he has a fan club, I’m not kidding. We all joke about how everyone loves this guy. He could easily show again as a special or as a junior’s dog.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
I love dogs with personality. I think that's one of the reasons I am drawn to certain breeds. I dislike those dogs that just are there. Corgis always have that swagger going on. That's right, I'm here, let's get this party started!
He is precious, I could see people following him on looks alone!

·
Super Moderator
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He’s really silly (which I love) and at the same time pretty laid back. Not a fan of the Pembrokes (too bratty and not in a fun way), but these Cardigans have caught my attention. And I don’t even like short legged dogs, lol. My handler says the Cardi’s are way more shepherd-like than Pems. Which makes sense. The breeds aren’t even related. The Pems come from spitz type dogs and the Cardis from German Teckel dogs (where the Dachshund came from). Anyway, he’s a super fun dog, and if I had a couple of thousand extra dollars around, I’d be in my car on the way to Texas, lol.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I was going to comment that I’m not a huge fan of corgis. I find them to be really bossy and bratty. Not typically dogs I think play well with other dogs. But they can be pretty cute! It’s interesting to know that the two types are so different. The corgi I know well is a Pembroke.

·
Super Moderator
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, all the corgis we groom are Pems. Cute to look at, but I’m not a fan.

·
Registered
5,640 Posts
He’s really silly (which I love) and at the same time pretty laid back. Not a fan of the Pembrokes (too bratty and not in a fun way), but these Cardigans have caught my attention. And I don’t even like short legged dogs, lol. My handler says the Cardi’s are way more shepherd-like than Pems. Which makes sense. The breeds aren’t even related. The Pems come from spitz type dogs and the Cardis from German Teckel dogs (where the Dachshund came from). Anyway, he’s a super fun dog, and if I had a couple of thousand extra dollars around, I’d be in my car on the way to Texas, lol.
Haha! I forget Pems exist. I don't like them and in my world if I don't like you then you cease to exist. Like Chi's and JRT's and rude people.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
He is adorable. Vent away, timing stinks.

·
Super Moderator
5,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And he already has a home pending, lol.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
He looks like a little furry stuffed toy!! Cute! Our neighbors have a corgi/Sheltie mix, she looks like a Sheltie with short legs and no tail! So I guess pembroke mix? She is sweet, but def has times when she's not in the mood for new people!

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
That's really interesting as the spitz types were frequently used for herding and a lot of people feel that Dachshunds should be classified as terriers as they "go to ground" after their prey. I would think that Pems would be more like Shepherds and Cardis somewhere on the opposite end of the spectrum.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I like Corgis, had a few next to my Gram when I was a kid. They are like attitudal GSDs with no legs, lol.
I had a Pembroke years back, and I really think there are similarities in temperament, with the natural differences of being 12" shorter and 50 lbs lighter. Our Gaucho was quite the little Napoleon, whereas Jupiter knows he's big and feels no need to pick fights.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I think their backs are unhealthy long.
I THINK - and others can correct me - their backs are normal, but they've been bred for dwarfism/short legs. I always thought it was the other way around.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I THINK - and others can correct me - their backs are normal, but they've been bred for dwarfism/short legs. I always thought it was the other way around.
I do think their backs are a place of vulnerability. My corgi ended up falling during play and had back problems after that.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I do think their backs are a place of vulnerability. My corgi ended up falling during play and had back problems after that.
Yes, I think back issues are common in Corgis and Dachshunds? Just because they're so out of proportion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts