German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone can explain this to me. I talked to a groomer and they said they do cording on their dogs, which when it was explained to me, this gets all excess hair off the dog and cuts way back on shedding. Is anyone familiar with this procedure and is it worth the money? Is this something that I could do at home myself. I brush and rake my dog every couple of days but there seems to still be alot of shedding.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I have never heard of cording a GSD before?
I am a dog groomer & the only cording I have heard of are the Puli
& komondor.

Puli

komondor

Do you mean carding?
That is done to terriers.

I think you should just continue with the raking & brushing.
Can I ask? How much are they charging you?

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I would recommend you invest in a Furminator. It's a brand of brush/comb. You can find them online or at petco type stores. They are a little bit pricey--like $30. But they remove a bushel basket full of undercoat. I love mine.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Originally Posted By: YvetteI have never heard of cording a GSD before?
I am a dog groomer & the only cording I have heard of are the Puli
& komondor.
Same here from another groomer, though you can get Poodles to cord too.

I think your groomer misspoke.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do believe she said the price started at $50.00 then it really depended on how bad the dogs hair is. I will just continue on the raking and brushing. But could someone tell me how much better is the furminator that just a rake? They look the same to me. Thank you.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Way better, in my opinion. The furminator has teeth that are as fine as a flea comb. (I'm not on commission or anything! LOL! I just really like this product...)

·
Registered
243 Posts
I, too, have a furminator and LOVE it! I can brush and brush and it just keeps getting out excess hair!

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i had locks down by back. while walking around a dog show a lady passed by with a black Puli and said to her dog "hey look, there's your brother". everyone in the immediate laughed. it was quite funny. cording, isn't that dread locks on a dog?

·
Registered
10,225 Posts
It's precisely dreadlocks. They had a breed on one of the semi-recent shows that was shown corded, I can't remember which.. maybe a Lhasa? It looked really awesome in cords.

I think a corded GSD would be pretty darn interesting but I don't think they have the proper coat type.

Corded poodle!

·
Registered
671 Posts
I'm also a groomer. I assume they meant carding, which has already been mentioned is usually a terrier term. I have heard it used in the context of undercoat removal of any breed. The furminator is essentially a #30 blade with the cutter removed and a handle attached. The use of a blade is a trick that's been around for years.

Off topic-If I had a poodle I would love to cord it, but I don't think I would ever want one, as pretty as they can be, their personalities never suited me as much as other breeds.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts