German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have one for their dogs and if so do they work??

·
2,967 Posts
I don't own one, and the ones that I've seen have not been particularly effective. I know also someone I trained with had bought a cooling vest at one point that worked similarly to these type of beds...and it was cooler at first, but then the 1st Law of Thermodynamics took effect and it actually ended up being hotter.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
I bought one of these years ago when I had a 30% off coupon from Petsmart.

The directions said to place the bed where you wanted it to be since it would be heavy once you filled it up with water. It also said to NOT let you dogs watch as you filled it. I thought that was silly and did not pay attention.

So, I had a one gallon pitcher and the bed required eight gallons of water. I placed it under the dining room table which happens to be one of the favorite bed spots in our house. The dogs were watching me as I trotted back and forth to the kitchen, dumping the water into the bed and then squishing around the bed to distribute the water throughout the gel inside. When I finally finished filling it up, not a single dog in the house would come anywhere near the bed. I think I even dragged poor ole Trooper over to it and tried to make her get on it.

Since no one would use it, we moved it to another location. The dogs very carefully walked around the bed for the next couple of months, but no one actually reclined on it. It ended up getting shredded to bits after a foster dog decided it was an awesome, over-sized chew toy. I came home to gallons of blue gel all over the place.

So, the cooling bed was a total failure at my house!

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks
just looking for something to keep B cool until my DH gets off his lazy butt and gets A/C in

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
They aren't the most practical for home usage. I've tried most of them and found the best one that actually cools is one that is like an ice pack: you dump a bag or two of ice cubes in it and it's very cold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts