German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

My name is Shay and I am a new member to the forum. I am the proud owner of a 15 month old female GSD named Maggie. We bought Maggie when she was 6 months old, and although she isn't the biggest GSD, she has turned out to be one of the sweetest. A recent incident has me alittle concerned...

Ever since Maggie was 6 months old she was walked everyday. At times we would let her run off leash in a football field with her older brother as well. Maggie is in great health, and has never had any serious issues or health complications. Both my fiance and I are in medical school, so Maggie got alittle use to being a lazy dog. However, since summer started and with her being alittle over a year now, we decided to try to train Maggie to be off leash. We use to have a large backyard area behind our townhome complex in which we began letting Maggie off leash to fetch and run. At first she would get tired quickly, and have to rest. With each day her speed and stamina increased. Our old house use to be three floors with two sets of stairs, which she would charge up and down with ease. The week before we moved, Maggie was coming down the stairs with me and somehow twisted her leg/foot. She didn't cry or yelp, but went about as if nothing was wrong. The next day, she had a noticable limp which I took her to the vet to get seen. The doctor examined her hips,legs, and feet, and said that she didn't feel anything out of place or anything broken. She checked Maggie's range of motion which in one position caused her discomfort. She said she could hear alittle pop from a tendon, but nothing to be too concerned about. The doctor included in the differential of course first stage of dysplasia (GSD...COME ON), but said that she thought it was more likely an acute injury which from Maggie's new running made her alittle more vulnerable to. She said that after 2 weeks of bed rest and NSAIDS, Maggie should get back into the groove of things. Unfortunatley we had to discontinue her NSAIDS because they were upsetting her stomach, but kept her well rested until we moved. Our new house a one floor, and we have begun taking Maggie on walks again. She is able to get up and down on the bed and sofa with ease, and at times I have caught her running at high speeds to jump onto the bed. However, my concern is that when Maggie begins to run, she isn't running like she use to. When she tries to pick up speed or run a short distance, she is hoping alittle with both legs. Not the distinct bunny hop that is noted with hip dysplasia, but a slight hop that looks like her injuried leg isn't moving as much. I especially notice her hoping when other dogs are around and she is excited. She is great on her walks, and isn't in any pain or discomfort. When I feel up on her hips and bend her legs she acts as if she isn't phased. I took her out to a baseball field yesterday for the first time to really let her run in the open. Again she was running with her back legs together, and it looked like she wasn't trying to use that leg. Maggie use to run with both legs together at fast speeds before, like alot of dogs do, but this time when both her legs run together its as if one is lagging, and she seems less cordinated When she runs she doesn't seem in pain and loves doing it. My fiance says I am noticing something that is not there. I watch her walking around the house and she seems at ease, but we have hardwood so she doesn't have as good of control when running since she is use to carpet. I keep telling myself, she will get better with time and running and that her tendon might still be bothering her alittle, but my worries keep taking me to the possibility that this slight injury might actually be the first stages of dysplasia. Like I said it is not a pronounced bunny hop, but more so her slightly using both legs. I was hoping that you guys had some advice or experiences that could set my mind at ease. I apologize for the long post. I am planning to get a PEN-HIP done in the upcoming months. Look forward to some reassuring feedback. My little lady below...

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry to hear about your little girl, it is always hard when they get injured. I hope everything works out for you. Do you carry pet insurance. It can be a real life saver at times. A friend of mine recommended that I invest in some that covers hip dysplacia, as a hip replacement can and is very pricey. So now I have .....peace of mind.

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
The doctor included in the differential of course first stage of dysplasia
Did your veterinarian do any x-rays, or did she simply feel and manipulate the legs? If she did not do x-rays, I would make an appointment to have hip x-rays done, preferably with a veterinarian who specializes doing x-rays for OFFA or Penn-Hip as the positioning is very important. Most vets will give you the option of getting a copy of your x-rays on disk and you could post the pictures.

It's definitely possible that dysplasia shows itself by an altered gait, but there are TONS of dogs who don't show any symptoms and who really need to be x-rayed for a proper diagnosis. So the x-ray is the best place to start.

That said, since your dog recently had an injury, it's very possible that the altered gait you are currently seeing is a result of that injury, still.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts