German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Hamilton Beach "Crock Watcher 6 quart)" from a thrift store a couple of days ago. It's an oldie but in excellent condition.My 6 year old glass top oven/range seems to be out of control (goes way high heat - dangerous) and I cannot afford to replace it for several months. So, I bought this crock pot and an electric skillet.

I purchased 2 chickens today (marked down to .75lb) and have been cooking them all day. Just took them out and everything fell away from the bones they are so tender. I planned on using the white meat for myself (freeze) and Summer gets the dark meat. I was searching for recipes and came across all these concerns about lead content in crock pots. I am so sick of these "scares" and sites and what our Gov't allows or does not.

I was really happy, thinking I found a solution to my problem of not having cooking facilities for 9 or 10 months - Now - I feel like I might be feeding Summer and I toxins. There's no proof - as always.. but the potential???? I'm just about up to here with all these scares about everything we try to do. Sometimes I really hate the Internet.
http://terminalverbosity.com/soapbox/environment/the-skinny-on-lead-in-crock-pots-it-may-surprise-you/

To save you all some reading - nothing is conclusive on this huge blog but shoot - makes me worry. I give my dog nothing but bottled water because I worry about our lead pipes - but the PLASTIC bottles may be bad. Arrrrgh!!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,850 Posts
There's lead in the glazes used on some decorative pots, vases,miscellaneous ceramics.Not crock pots.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I wouldn't worry about crock pots having lead. I've got a water purifier, that saves so much compared to bottled water. And you can fill up bpa free bottles for traveling

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's lead in the glazes used on some decorative pots, vases,miscellaneous ceramics.Not crock pots.
The article 1st referenced - some of the USA crock Manufacturers said yes, the crock clay contains lead. Some fear that it's in the glaze. 20% of the crocks tested positive for lead.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Magwart -Check comment #3 on this site referral. It's the heat activation that makes the difference, rendering this test void.

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
So if it's freaking you out and you don't trust the room temp test kit, simmer some RO or distilled water in it for a few hours, and use a lead water testing kit. If it comes up with a zero reading, then that's a pretty good indication it's not leaching, right?

(I wouldn't use plain tap water though in case it ended up picking up lead from old pipes, not the crock pot.)

·
Registered
5,515 Posts
By the way, did you know that bones contain detectable traces of lead? Boiling them leaches some out. No one knows if it's enough to matter. Canine nutritionist Monica Segal has written about this.

If you're going to be extra cautious about maybe lead in the glaze, and you're talking about boiling whole chickens with bones, it kind of seems like you might want to look at the bones too, if you are using the bone broth. I doubt it's enough to matter (esp. given that people like Carmen feed bone broth regularly without lead poisoning effects), but I don't think there's evidence one way or the other in dogs.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So if it's freaking you out and you don't trust the room temp test kit, simmer some RO or distilled water in it for a few hours, and use a lead water testing kit. If it comes up with a zero reading, then that's a pretty good indication it's not leaching, right?

(I wouldn't use plain tap water though in case it ended up picking up lead from old pipes, not the crock pot.)
Magwart - Perhaps reading the article and the various tests that have been used would help you. Acidic foods can cause more to leach, but even if you load the sucker with vinegar - there are no test kits that will detect what is actually absorbed into the food without sending the food in for testing. The liquid dilutes but the food absorbs.....So the liquid can give you a false negative.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Why not go to Wal-Mart and buy one of those plug in mini stove tops? They have 1-2 burners on them. About $10-20? They're in the area where rice makers and blenders are.

(Never used one, but considering how effective a Gorge Foreman grill works, I'd imagine these cook well, too.)

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why not go to Wal-Mart and buy one of those plug in mini stove tops? They have 1-2 burners on them. About $10-20? They're in the area where rice makers and blenders are.

(Never used one, but considering how effective a Gorge Foreman grill works, I'd imagine these cook well, too.)
Hi Saito - I won't purchase one of these because of the cheap made in China danger of them. When I was living in the Florida Keys - I had a cheap range/stovetop. While bringing water to a boil one day after work, I was standing in front of the stove when the element failed and exploded.

Shards of the coil flew everywhere and started fires in the house. My husband checked on me first - he put me on the floor and checked for imbedded hot coil pieces in my body - then he grabbed the fire extinguisher and broke a window to get the red hot coil pieces and items on fire outdoors. He was military trained thank God and he reacted in seconds.

Once you have had that happen, you are reluctant to purchase cheap $30.00 "mini surface" high heat portable coil cook tops.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just looked up the liners and there are people not trusting the plastic content in them.

I guess, all I'm trying to say is I'm so sick of everything carrying these precautions and warnings - because so much is just speculation.

I fed my last dog the cheapest brands of dog food and gave him water every day from my lead pipe house - and he was happy and healthy and lived to be 14.5 years old for gosh sakes!!!

Now, I have Summer and she's almost 2. Nothing but the best food I can afford for her (27.00 for 14 lbs dry) and nothing but bottled spring water from day one.... sometimes I just cry Bullpucky to all this worry stuff. My gosh - no matter what you do - there's a site that tells you every move you make is going to be detrimental in some way. I'm about sick of buying into any of it.:(

·
Registered
245 Posts

Hi Saito - I won't purchase one of these because of the cheap made in China danger of them. When I was living in the Florida Keys - I had a cheap range/stovetop. While bringing water to a boil one day after work, I was standing in front of the stove when the element failed and exploded.

Shards of the coil flew everywhere and started fires in the house. My husband checked on me first - he put me on the floor and checked for imbedded hot coil pieces in my body - then he grabbed the fire extinguisher and broke a window to get the red hot coil pieces and items on fire outdoors. He was military trained thank God and he reacted in seconds.

Once you have had that happen, you are reluctant to purchase cheap $30.00 "mini surface" high heat portable coil cook tops.
Scary stuff, Stone. But you learned a lesson from it, right? Cook while wearing full body armor and a fire extinguisher with 3 feet of you. Problem solved! lol Want me to lend you one of my motorcycle helmets?

I wish I could say, "yea, but that was how many years ago? Surely the quality of stuff is better now." But I can't. All that cheap carp from China explodes every day. Those silly hoverboards being the latest hot item (pun intended).
But hey! At least a couple of billionaires are getting to save a few extra dollars in production costs that they'll never spend in their lifetime. Isn't that what really matters? Consumers can be replaced.

·
Banned
4,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Surely the quality of stuff is better now." But I can't. All that cheap carp from China explodes every day. Those silly hoverboards being the latest hot item (pun intended).
But hey! At least a couple of billionaires are getting to save a few extra dollars in production costs that they'll never spend in their lifetime. Isn't that what really matters? Consumers can be replaced.
Frickiin China..... they sell carp to the US but would never consider using those products themselves... in fact - their own gov't prohibits selling this garbage to it's own people.... the penalty for counterfeits in their own country is death....

A few months ago, they had yet another earthquake over there and ran out of 40 rated breathing masks. Several million were sent from the US and no one over there would use them because they knew the foreign export models were defective.....

·
Registered
7,248 Posts
Yes America wake up you want cheap you will get cheap wish we would stop dealing with China. We give our dog bottled water to and then to worry about plastic bottles it seems there is no escape or which is the most damaging. Buying a led test kit is a good idea I would like to test the filtered water.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I just looked up the liners and there are people not trusting the plastic content in them.

I guess, all I'm trying to say is I'm so sick of everything carrying these precautions and warnings - because so much is just speculation.

I fed my last dog the cheapest brands of dog food and gave him water every day from my lead pipe house - and he was happy and healthy and lived to be 14.5 years old for gosh sakes!!!

Now, I have Summer and she's almost 2. Nothing but the best food I can afford for her (27.00 for 14 lbs dry) and nothing but bottled spring water from day one.... sometimes I just cry Bullpucky to all this worry stuff. My gosh - no matter what you do - there's a site that tells you every move you make is going to be detrimental in some way. I'm about sick of buying into any of it.
I know exactly how you feel stone! You are danged if you do danged if you dont.

Personally I would go ahead and use the crockppt both you and summer enjoy that chicken then make a yummy bone broth with the carcass. :) People have been cooking in ceramic since the neolithic era. 12,000 odd years of it. Glazed pottery since like 500AD.

There are probably more toxins in the air and in her dog food than what would leach through the crockpot.

If you are still worried - What about adding something like Chlorella to summers diet? Great studies on it and it's ability to remove heavy metals from the body. I get some for myself and my dog's at nuts.com. $18.99 a pound and it lasts like 2 to 3 months (depending on if it's myself or the bf making smoothies - He has a heavy hand :p )

1 - 18 of 18 Posts