German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just brushing Wolfie, and I was getting little shocks from his coat. The brush was snapping with static. Are there any tricks or products out there to cut down on the static?

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I'm interested too, but don't have any info to offer. Waiting for other replies...

(Funny story though- The other day I woke up a bit early and it was still very dark in my bedroom. Pimg jumped up on the bed and I was petting her. As I ran my hand along her side from back to front [against the nap of the hair] I could literally see hundreds of sparks from the static! It looked pretty cool, not sure how it felt for her though.)

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have a spray on conditioner that I got at the pet store, can't think of the brand right now, but it is an all natural product, and that works great. I use it on my friend's lab whenever she comes over, since she spends a lot of time on her back in the yard (apparently she likes being a bowling pin :crazy:) and the dirt and grass had some serious static cling to her coat. A few sprays of that and it all just falls off with a quick rub with a towel. Plus it smells nice and makes their coats nice and soft :wub:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Humidifier
Oh, we have one of those too...but with the humidifier, the humidity in our house is 36% right now...not good...:eek:

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
I borrowed some show ring mink oil spray from a friend when I was showing my dogs and noticed that it did help with static so I might get some and use it weekly. It went on sort of like aerosol hairspray and you brush it through.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good ideas. Another thing to put on my list for petsmart.

·
Registered
19,451 Posts
Also since I started salmon oil all my dogs have healthier coats and skin that is not dry.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where do you get salmon oil? What form is it in? Drops or pills? Wolfie has dry winter skin. I feed him flaxseed, and his coat is shiny, but his skin is dry right now.

·
Registered
669 Posts
If you have a Tractor Supply by you, you may want to try Cowboy Magic Super Bodyshine. Its a horse product, but I use it when I groom dogs of all varieties. It is AWESOME. It helps with static, repels dust/dirt. I can't live without it. And its alot cheaper than mink oil that in my opinion leaves the coat greasy and gummy.
Cowboy Magic

·
Registered
32,553 Posts

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
How about just rubbing your dog down with a dryer sheet?

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Because manly man Wolfie can not scare away intruders smelling like spring fresh Bounce!

That is a really good idea! How long does it last?

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Because manly man Wolfie can not scare away intruders smelling like spring fresh Bounce!

That is a really good idea! How long does it last?
Shhh...dont tell anyone but he wears pet fresh spray that smells like baby powder cuz Mom likes the smell :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
I don't know that I'd go with a dryer sheet - there's lots of nasty chemicals in that, and you would be leaving them in his fur, which he might lick...

·
Registered
940 Posts
If you have a Tractor Supply by you, you may want to try Cowboy Magic Super Bodyshine. Its a horse product, but I use it when I groom dogs of all varieties. It is AWESOME. It helps with static, repels dust/dirt. I can't live without it. And its alot cheaper than mink oil that in my opinion leaves the coat greasy and gummy.
Cowboy Magic
^^^^ YES!!! :D

But, if you can't get that I think a light spray on conditioner would help.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I love the Cowboy Magic products for myself. When I was younger and wore my hair longer, the detangler worked great. I buy my salmon oil from K9 Power Products. It already has the vit E added. I also get the Show Stopper for winter dryness. And have the humidifier going. It all helps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts