German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Rogue went for her 12 week old visit today and got her 3rd set of shots. She is now 24 pounds and is doing very well besides they put her on a 1 week worth of antibiotics to try to see if she has a bladder infection because she urinates like every 15 minutes. They tried to do a urine test but couldn't get a sample.. Hopefully this helps with our potty training and her going to the bathroom multiple times in an hour. Well, when we were there Rogue was so excited so I picked her up and was holding her for the time we were waiting to be seen. She just wanted to go play with all of the other dogs. When we were done meeting with the Vet we went back to the waiting area and when I came around the corner there was a dog and Rogue started her barking and doing her crazy noises so I made her sit because that makes her quit barking. Well, the lady was like you have a vicious dog! Rogue was not trying to be mean, she just wanted to play! Once I saw the dog I immediately took control of Rogue and she was a perfect angel the rest of the time but she is a puppy and just gets SO excited when other dogs around. Do y'all have some good techniques for puppies in a vet office so people don't think my puppy is mean and vicious?

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I'm sorry, I'm laughing at a the lady who declared that your excited 12 week old
is vicious!

Sounds like Rogue was being a NORMAL pup, and you quickly got the situation under control.

I wouldn't worry about it. Continue on with what you are doing, Rogue sounds like a very nice pup. You could have the nicest, best behave dog in the whole world, and people will still be critical.

Just smile and nod and be charming - that always throws the know-it-alls off balance. :)

·
Super Moderator
32,031 Posts
Actually, at 12 weeks old I was still carrying mine at the vet's office since they weren't fully vaccinated yet. I agree with Lucia though, there's nothing wrong with an excitable, playful puppy. You can't control what other people think, so don't waste your time worrying about it!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was shocked by the lady's remark. I was holding Rogue for most of the visit but I had my three children with me for the first time ever at the vet office because my husband couldn't take off work so my 2 year old daughter started acting like a booger and I had to pick her up and carry her to a chair so I had to put Rogue down for that couple of minutes. My husband told me to just get used to it because people will always think our dog is mean just because its a german shepherd. I just don't want people to be scarred of her :(

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was shocked by the lady's remark. I was holding Rogue for most of the visit but I had my three children with me for the first time ever at the vet office because my husband couldn't take off work so my 2 year old daughter started acting like a booger and I had to pick her up and carry her to a chair so I had to put Rogue down for that couple of minutes. My husband told me to just get used to it because people will always think our dog is mean just because its a german shepherd. I just don't want people to be scarred of her :(
Don't worry about what other people think. You can't reason with ignorance. Plus its not always a bad thing if people are a little scared....the right people (the important ones) will know her and know better. I did get a good chuckle out of the idea of a vicious 12 week old puppy

·
Banned
210 Posts
Haha vicious. Oh the humor.

Gunner is 10 weeks and barked at a 80lb Shepherd that was coming in when we were leaving. Silly puppies

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Most dogs don't like going to the vet, just like humans don't like going to doctors. Whenever I go to the vet I'm always armed with lots of treats and a positive attitude and ignore any comments or sidewalk glances ;) My dogs might not like what happens at the vet but they know what happens after procedures (treats and praise) is a good thing so they tolerate everything. My vet is fantastic about making each visit a positive one and my dogs adore him. I usually take them out for a super special small treat like a mini ice cream cone or small plain donut so they have a positive experience at the end no matter what.

Delgado likes to bark at other dogs so I go in first without him and they'll usually have a exam room open that I can walk him straight into without waiting in the reception area, then I walk him out to the car and leave him there for the two minutes it takes me to go back and pay and then we're off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts