German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A former assistant of the author of Control Unleashed will be presenting a summer series in Redwood City. Working slots on the June 14th date are filled

Copy of e-mail (permission to cross-post)
Hi Everyone,
The Java Dog Training Center is pleased to announce a summer series of workshops focusing on the Control Unleashed book and training methodology developed by Leslie McDevitt and her training colleague Keinan Brown.

The workshops will focus on the "Control Unleashed" philosophy and specific sets of exercises designed to help build confidence, focus and drive in stressed, sniffy, distracted, lunging, snapping, 'barky', even biting dogs. It teaches how to cope with the presence of stressors like other dogs, unknown people, unfamiliar surroundings, fast moving wheeled vehicles, loud noises and a host of other things. It also is an excellent foundation for puppies to foster desired behaviors and prevent unwanted behaviors.
The dates of Saturday/Sunday Control Unleashed (CU) Summer Series Workshops are:
June 14/15
July 12/13
August 16/17
Intro to CU
Sundays 9:00am-5:00pm - (may be repeated, though priority given to new entrants)
CU Continued
Saturday evenings 5:00pm-9:00pm - (for those who have attended Intro to CU; may be repeated)
For details and to register, please go the following website:
http://www.frap.org/ControlUnleashed

The secretary for the workshops is Ellen Clary. Any questions may be directed to her at [email protected]
or 510-523-6532.
I think that this should be of interest to many of you. Please sign up without delay as spaces are limited and are expected to fill quickly.

·
Super Moderator
32,281 Posts
I printed out the registration form, will be filling it out and sending it off Friday. Cross your fingers that we'll get in!

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I'm auditing at a CU seminar on Sunday. I've heard wonderful things about it and am looking forward to attending the seminar. I wish I had a working spot, but those were full

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi,
Does any one know what goes on in "auditing"? I would love to go too and may send the application in a day or so. Not sure what class to attend. Being in Stockton, I am a little distance away from Redwood.

·
Super Moderator
32,281 Posts
Enzo, I believe auditing means you'll just be watching vs participating with a dog.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Originally Posted By: Cassidys MomEnzo, I believe auditing means you'll just be watching vs participating with a dog.
Yep, that is correct. I will be watching and taking notes. Molly will have to stay home for this seminar

·
Registered
9,651 Posts
You can still learn a lot by auditing. I do think you learn more when you get the opportunity to do it right then and there with your dog, however. I audited an agility seminar in December and then got a working spot for a holistic training seminar in April. Both were fun and very informative. But I liked being able to work the Mutt.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I gosh I would love to go!!!!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
32,281 Posts
I sent off my application, wish me luck that I'm accepted as a working team!

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
All 3 of the dogs have paws crossed!!!!

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Debbie which one did you ask for??? I am actually thinking of making the drive!

·
Super Moderator
32,281 Posts
Kathy, I requested 7/13. As of yesterday there are 4 working spots left, and I haven't heard yet if I'm one of the ones who were accepted. That would be SO COOL if you could go too, I'd love to meet you! If you'd want a working spot on that date you'd need to send in your application right away.

I emailed the woman on the flyer with more info when I sent in the application. Keefer doesn't fit easily into the "eligible" vs "NOT eligible" catagories. He's more than mildly responsive to SECs, but not extremely responsive, and he CAN settle down. He does have a fairly low arousal threshold, but he can be redirected, that kind of thing. And I thought it wouldn't hurt to let them know that although he's barky and distracted in class, and on leash in general, he's also highly social and very friendly with other dogs off leash.

Ellen said that she would pass on my email along with my application to Kienan, who makes the final decisions, but she thought we'd probably be accepted.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I was reading the flyer too, and the intro is on Sunday evening. Then you practice a month and hopefully get to do to a full day seminar. As it is such a long trip I probably won't do it.

There was one out here last November that I did not know about til it ws over and they did a 2 day workshop where intro was on day one and the next level was on day 2, both were full days.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually the Sunday intro classes are the all day session and the second class is the four hours in the evening on Saturday.

I was planning on auditing in July since that the last one where you could get both sessions completed in order. The auditing slots aren't moving as quickly as the working slots at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
32,281 Posts
Kathy, here's the link that describes what's happening for the Intro and Continued workshops: http://www.frap.org/ControlUnleashed/ControlUnleashedSummerSeriesDescription.pdf

As Samuel said, the Intro is an all day workshop on Sunday. Then, the Continuation is an optional Saturday evening AFTER you do the Intro. I saw that there was a CU workshop in April, so I guess the first Continuation in June, prior to the Intro that weekend, would be for people who were at the previous workshop.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I never could read!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Sounds great. Earlier this winter I went to hear Patricia McConnell and she was fantastic. She recommends the book. I recently ordered the book and can't wait for it to get here.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts