German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The house next door to us has been vacant for almost two years. It went into foreclosure and was never able to be sold. The people who had been living in it made it impossible for anyone to get any financing on it (took out the wiring, pipes, interior doors, appliances, pieces of the siding, etc and sold it before they left...then also had a salvage company come in and remove drywall, the pool, pieces of the decking, yardscape stones and plants, etc). The people who had lived there were only there about two years but they ruined the house (they also removed their gas and electric meters and hardwired themselves into the utilities- I kept complaining that I was not growing drugs or running a horse barn and could not possibly be using $700 worth of electric but the company told me I was crazy- found out I was RIGHT...but that is a story for another day).

We have a fully fenced back yard. On the side shared with that house there is our fence and right up against our fence is theirs- or what is left of theirs. The house has been undergoing extensive work (contractors there daily for the last few weeks). Today they apparently began work on their fencing though I have no way of knowing that (I can't see into their yard b/c of our privacy fencing). About 30 minutes ago a guy knocked on the door. I had just let the three dogs out and was about to go out myself when he knocked (the Beast rushed right out, but the old ladies take a little longer to get themselves out- it takes a few minutes).

It appears that in the time that it took between Beast going out and the ladies, the beast had gone right out to his favorite potty corner (behind some trees in the farthest corner from the house) and found NO FENCING. The contractor came to say that the dog had come into his yard and then out into the forest as they had taken the back fencing down and had to remove a portion of MY fencing. That forest is all that is between my home and a MAJOR highway!!! I am now in the front yard with this guy at the door...feeling so far from the Beast...with no idea where he has gone. I was so panicked.

I grabbed the lead that hangs by the door and ran out on the porch, shouting to my husband to call the girls in. I hear the other workers whistling for my dog in the yard next door and shout to ask if they have him (of course they do not). i have no idea which way he may have gone so no idea which way to head to shout. My husband races out in the car to patrol the highway...and I listen. Then I hear it...one loud bark. i know his voice and now know which way to shout. I am so glad he barked- but I did not know if he had crossed a street..so I shouted "Beast, Down, HOLD, SPEAK" I heard another bark and found him in the woods, in a down. Oh, Beast...for ONCE a good boy who listens :) he came right to me when I called and we walked home, my heart racing, him unaffected.

I asked the contractors why my fence was down and it seems that their side was such, that in order to repair it they had to take down one panel of mine. They thought we were not home (since the dogs were not out) so just went ahead and took it down without asking thinking they would have it back up before we ever noticed. I was SO annoyed. All they had to do was TELL me and I would not have gone out with the dogs! the guy was very apologetic so i will let it go, but talk about taking years off my life!

He did tell me Beast gave him a kiss when he trotted in the yard..and that he tried to grab him and chase him to bring him home. No wonder Beast ran out- he thought he found new friends to play! I am glad we took the time to introduce the workers and our dogs when they started over there...if they had been afraid of him it might have gone differently!

This is the second time since the house was abandoned that Beast has gotten out thanks to their fencing issues doing something to mine. I am so happy it will all be repaired by the end of the day! Now I won't have to worry about what I can't see doing something to MY secure fencing!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Whew!

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
What a horrible feeling that must have been- Beast on the loose!! What a good boy for obeying. Love the Beast stories

·
Registered
475 Posts
Well done Beast good good boy. You are far to forgiving of the contractors I think I would have created all sorts of issues if that had of been me.
I would have been in such a panic.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am just SO thrilled that the disaster house is being fixed and will stop dragging down the neighborhood.... really though- to be angry would have done nothing except maybe make them less likely to come to me if something goes awry. I really am happy that the work is being done and things like the fence will no longer be an issue and I can feel safe and secure in our yard. I am SO happy Beast was a good boy- it makes me feel like all the practice DOES pay off!

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
My heart was racing just reading this! I'm glad you got him back quickly! Those contractors should have rung the doorbell anyways even if they didn't think you were home!!

·
Registered
428 Posts
I almost couldn't read fast enough, lol. Good, good Beast. One day my girls will behave that well.....Ok I can hope. And train, train, train!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts