German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I’ve been reading, searching, and lurking for a while but finally wanted to reach out for the community’s wise input. We have a great 5 month old male German Shepherd puppy, Mack, who seems to be having intractable diarrhea. It started when he was dewormed with Drontal at 3 mos old, and only improves intermittently. We’ve tried pumpkin, we’ve tried chicken and rice, we’ve dewormed again with Panacur, we’ve tried a probiotic, we’ve tried metronidazole. At this point, we’ve been on the ID prescription diet ONLY plus a daily probiotic for 2+ weeks. We’ve gotten probably 5% good poops, 30% complete liquid, and 65% various stages of mushy.

The issue is that the complete liquid/really bad diarrhea is sporadic- he’ll be fine one day and then have explosive diarrhea, then fine the next. I like our vet and she has been very responsive, but nothing has changed or improved in the last month.

So- ideas for possible underlying causes? Other suggestions for treatment? (additional info: we got him from a well respected breeder, raw is not an option- we have young children, and I work with immunocompromised patients, his weight gain is great, his coat is gorgeous and he has not acted sick at any point).

·
Registered
677 Posts
Have you considered semi-raw or only home cooked food? Worming can be very hard on the digestive track and may take a while to get the system back to normal.
Regular probiotics can help. Maybe try a different one.
Also a good multi-vitamin/mineral supplement wouldn't hurt.
Semi-raw is just human grade meat partially cooked- still has all the nutrients but zapped enough with heat to kill off many bacteria. good meat and bones do contain most of the valuable digestive flora needed for a healthy system.

·
Registered
875 Posts
You're talking about things you've tried----I'll assume a stool sample was actually checked-what sort of parasites did the dog have?...hook worms --round worms--giardia ....some are not easy to get rid of...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you considered semi-raw or only home cooked food? Worming can be very hard on the digestive track and may take a while to get the system back to normal.
Regular probiotics can help. Maybe try a different one.
Also a good multi-vitamin/mineral supplement wouldn't hurt.
Semi-raw is just human grade meat partially cooked- still has all the nutrients but zapped enough with heat to kill off many bacteria. good meat and bones do contain most of the valuable digestive flora needed for a healthy system.
Thanks- can you tell me more about this? Do you zap it in the microwave?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're talking about things you've tried----I'll assume a stool sample was actually checked-what sort of parasites did the dog have?...hook worms --round worms--giardia ....some are not easy to get rid of...
His stool sample in early November was positive for roundworm, and we saw them come out in his poop after deworming. We dewormed 3 weeks later with Panacur and saw more roundworm come out. He has been on Nexgard 1x per month since early Nov. we haven’t done another stool sample yet- vet says not until about 4 weeks after deworming to avoid false positives. That should be in the next week or so.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Thanks- can you tell me more about this? Do you zap it in the microwave?
Yes in the microwave. Depends on the wattage for how long and also how 'raw' your dog will eat it initially. May take a little experimenting. I think I started at like 10 min. covered w/ water in big bowl, 1100 watts, let it cool and cut in 2 pcs for chicken quarter (leg and thigh). If dog won't touch it increase length of cook time.
I do cook beef liver in frying pan on stove. She loves it- medium or rare. Same w/ chicken livers, gizzards, hearts.
Raw or semi cooked chicken eggs- very good.
When you begin it's always best if your dog is well exercised and HUNGRY. Watch their reaction to see what you need to do if they refuse the food.

·
Registered
875 Posts
His stool sample in early November was positive for roundworm, and we saw them come out in his poop after deworming. We dewormed 3 weeks later with Panacur and saw more roundworm come out. He has been on Nexgard 1x per month since early Nov. we haven’t done another stool sample yet- vet says not until about 4 weeks after deworming to avoid false positives. That should be in the next week or so.
I'd suspect he may still have parasites....Panacur IMO works really well--but to be sure it gets all parasites it's typically given in three doses---1st dose wait x amount of time.... give 2nd dose wait x amount of time and then give final dose that will normally work....until you do the next fecal check I'd keep mixing in canned pumpkin it won't hurt....

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
Yeah, I think the odds of parasites/infection are a lot higher than food issues. I wouldn't start changing food until you sort this out or the food change will be its own source of upset tummy problems.

When dogs have heavy worm loads and lots of diarrhea, our rescue's vet actually uses Panacur 5 days in a row (3 is more typical, but 5 gets giardia too...and ensures we get all the worms...and Panacur is cheap and safe, so it's just an inexpensive "let's be sure" move). It's true that deworming may be needed again in 3-4 weeks. However, Panacur doesn't get coccidia or a whole lot of other possibilities that require different meds. When we've got bad diarrhea of unknown origin in a foster dog, they usually add in a round a Metrodinazole/Flagyl too (a prescription med).

Doing a fecal in between dewormings shouldn't be a big deal -- they just mount a little feces on a slide an look at it. That will tell them if there's something else going on. I would not be cool with having a young dog have diarrhea for 3-4 weeks waiting for a recheck, so don't hesitate to call your vet and express some concerns about the treatment so far not working.

If the next fecal-float test doesn't give you an answer, I would probably invest in an IDEXX Diarrhea PCR test at this point. It costs about $200, and it has to be sent out to a lab. It will test for about 15 different things -- from parvo and giardia to rare-but-troublesome viruses and bacteria. It's a lot more bang for your buck than testing giardia and other things separately (which each cost about $100). Frankly, with two dewormings that haven't helped this, it's probably time to run that PCR panel.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
Has the pup been tested for Giardia/Coccidia, which are protozoa, not the typical hook or whip worm.
Quote: "Coccidia and Giardia are both intestinal protozoan parasites that are common in young puppies and kittens and older or debilitated adults. Their management can be difficult and is often misunderstood by practitioners because of the life cycle of the organisms and the development of carrier states whereby the animals may be positive on fecal examination but the animals are asymptomatic (no soft stool or diarrhea). " Different drugs are used for this.

Also, if you are going to slightly cook the meat, rinse thoroughly several times to remove cooked grease which can also cause loose stool. I would not introduce organs until dogs stools are stable for several days.

Moms :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Help! I’ve been reading, searching, and lurking for a while but finally wanted to reach out for the community’s wise input. We have a great 5 month old male German Shepherd puppy, Mack, who seems to be having intractable diarrhea. It started when he was dewormed with Drontal at 3 mos old, and only improves intermittently. We’ve tried pumpkin, we’ve tried chicken and rice, we’ve dewormed again with Panacur, we’ve tried a probiotic, we’ve tried metronidazole. At this point, we’ve been on the ID prescription diet ONLY plus a daily probiotic for 2+ weeks. We’ve gotten probably 5% good poops, 30% complete liquid, and 65% various stages of mushy.

The issue is that the complete liquid/really bad diarrhea is sporadic- he’ll be fine one day and then have explosive diarrhea, then fine the next. I like our vet and she has been very responsive, but nothing has changed or improved in the last month.

So- ideas for possible underlying causes? Other suggestions for treatment? (additional info: we got him from a well respected breeder, raw is not an option- we have young children, and I work with immunocompromised patients, his weight gain is great, his coat is gorgeous and he has not acted sick at any point).
We once rescued a 7mo old lg breed pup who had not had a firm poop in his life. VERY disconcerting. He looked like he was on death's doorstep. Everything went straight thru him! Tried many of the things you've tried and that others here suggested. Finally fasted him 24hrs (provided lots of H2O & chewy bones), then started on simple boiled chicken (cooled and boneless of course). Also probiotic & multivitamin & Pedialyte strips. Turned out he had a form of celiac, as long as he was kept grain-free and limited-ingredient (sweet potato, potato, green beans, peas, carrots, natural peanut butter, ANY meat)-- he did fine. He had his 1st "normal" poop within 36 hours of the fasting/boiled chicken. I felt like hiring a sky-writer to celebrate! Good luck with your little fellow!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
We once rescued a 7mo old lg breed pup who had not had a firm poop in his life. VERY disconcerting. He looked like he was on death's doorstep. Everything went straight thru him! Tried many of the things you've tried and that others here suggested. Finally fasted him 24hrs (provided lots of H2O & chewy bones), then started on simple boiled chicken (cooled and boneless of course). Also probiotic & multivitamin & Pedialyte strips. Turned out he had a form of celiac, as long as he was kept grain-free and limited-ingredient (sweet potato, potato, green beans, peas, carrots, natural peanut butter, ANY meat)-- he did fine. He had his 1st "normal" poop within 36 hours of the fasting/boiled chicken. I felt like hiring a sky-writer to celebrate! Good luck with your little fellow!!!
By "chewy bones" I meant hard bones he could chew but not eat

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Has the pup been tested for Giardia/Coccidia, which are protozoa, not the typical hook or whip worm.
Quote: "Coccidia and Giardia are both intestinal protozoan parasites that are common in young puppies and kittens and older or debilitated adults. Their management can be difficult and is often misunderstood by practitioners because of the life cycle of the organisms and the development of carrier states whereby the animals may be positive on fecal examination but the animals are asymptomatic (no soft stool or diarrhea). " Different drugs are used for this.
I would definitely have him checked for Giardia and Coccidia. Giardia is treated, usually, with Panacur (Fenbendazole) and sometimes with Metrodinazole added also in extreme cases (I, personally, have not found the latter to be effective alone). Coccidia is treated with one of two drugs depending on your vet and where you live (Albon or another drug that I can't remember the name of).

·
Registered
7,599 Posts
I agree with the testing for giardia and coccidiia as well as trying grain free food. Look for foods 3% fiber or lower. You might be looking at SID and there are other more effective meds that can be given safely longterm that are not go to meds usually prescribed.

How is your dog's weight? How about the color and smell of his poop?

·
Registered
6,166 Posts
Coccidia is treated with one of two drugs depending on your vet and where you live (Albon or another drug that I can't remember the name of).
Ponazuril. I think that it's actually a horse drug, not labeled for dogs and cats (yet). However, compounding pharmacies can sell formulas that are diluted appropriately for dogs and cats (Wedgwood Pharmacy in NJ does this -- good prices too). A lot of shelters have been using it off-label for small animals for years. It's WAY more effective than Albion, from all I know. Vets that know a lot about horses or do shelter/rescue work tend to be the ones that reach for the Panazuril first. I've seen BAD coccidia cases clear up in 48 hours on Ponazuril. Since it's an off-label use, though, some vets still keep using Albion just because that's the only one that's officially sanctioned for small animal use. More info:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, all! He was okay for the first month we had him on Iams large breed puppy food, which is what he came home with from the breeder- so I’m less concerned that it’s a food allergy or intolerance. His weight is good- gaining steadily, and 45 lb at 4.5 months. His poops vary between almost solid to completely liquid- they are yellowish when they get to the liquid stage.

You motivated me to call my vet and ask about testing for non-worm parasites-They want to keep him on 10 days of metronidazole instead and see what happens. I’m kind of done with ‘wait and see’, and I think we’re going to get a second opinion this week at a different vet. I’ll keep you posted!

·
Registered
6 Posts
We had some issues with our GSD when he was younger (3 to 4 months). He had some parasites, I do not remember the name, he was eating dry food for puppies and the vet gave him a full 7 days of Metronidazol. We didn’t see a really big improvement so we change vets.

The new vet is great, we love her, she did extra test, there were still some parasites but at a low quantities, and her advice was that the dog should be able to fight those slowly. She recommended a diet very high in fiber, it is basically boild chicken with sweet potato, some pumpkin and roll oats, everything cook to be very soft. And also some probiotics called “Pro-Kolin plus”
The vet asked us to be patient and keep the treatment.
I saw improvement very slowly, it took probably a week to have one normal poo, after that was, soft, normal, back and forward.
After all of that havoc, And when he finally was ok (2 weeks later with that probiotic) I change the diet and went full home made food.
Hopefully I can help you with my learnings. And I really hope your baby get better soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Same thing happened to me. I got my Long coat GSD from a respectable breeder and she is now 9mos old and could not be a better dog! At 4mos she started with terrible diarrhea. After several vet appointments (including checking for a number of parasites-all of which came up negative), we tried chicken and rice, pumpkin, chicken and potatoes (boiled white potato helped for a bit), you name it! It lasted about 2 months. I also tried very carefully over weeks to try different puppy food (that I researched to the hilt). The vet finally put her on a RX Hills Science diet which firmed the stools but once again when I transitioned her back, the stool started to soften. I know you are against raw, but that mixed with her kibble (which I realize some disagree with) worked for her. I go to a raw K-9 butcher and he raw food contains the bone which is the key to it all. The vet also told me that Hills science diet makes a sensitive stomach recipe that is not that dissimilar to the RX kibble that helped bind her. I hope it passes for you soon!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update : we got our 2nd opinion, got another test and it came back positive for giardia. Working through treatment now with fingers crossed.....and sticking with the 2nd vet from now on!

·
Registered
875 Posts
Update : we got our 2nd opinion, got another test and it came back positive for giardia. Working through treatment now with fingers crossed.....and sticking with the 2nd vet from now on!
Finding the "right' vet can be a chore sometimes...knowing when to move on isn't easy....good luck and keep us posted...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts