German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I just have a quick question, maybe someone can give me some advice or suggestions. My boy Hezekiah is growing up fast... He's growing out of his ex pen and I'm wondering where to transition to next.
Here are my options as I see it right now and especially until I find another job:
1. crate train him but leave him in the crate for hours while at work
2. Puppy proof the bathroom and train him to den there
3. Crate him until his bladder is completely under control then move him to the bathroom

The only objective that I have with the crate is my work schedule. I was recently moved to overnight shifts and I work 12 hour shifts at a time. I wrote a post about this before if it sounds familiar. We are working around it, as this is why I keep him in a pen. I'm also looking for a new job because the 12 and 16 hour shifts aren't fair to him and not fair to my fiancé who has to take care of him at her place while I'm sleeping.

Now, he has a crate and I've been slowly trying to crate train him, but I have been hesitant to rush him due to a bad experience with my and my fiancé's other dog. Also, I don't want him to be contained for that length of time... It's inhumane if you as me.

Lastly, my only reservation to leaving him in the bathroom is his natural puppy anxiety.. I'm worried that he will jump up and claw at the door and completely ruin the door/doorframe of my apartment. Of course no one can afford that right now.

So I guess my question is, what do you suggest? Does anyone have a story similar to this? I talked to a lady that used to train police dogs and she said the bathroom was a great den spot for her personal dogs and they loved it. Does anyone keep or has anyone kept their GSD in the bathroom? Any advice to working in that direction.

Thanks for your time! Have a blessed day!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
If you are going to use the bathroom, I'd remove any harmful chemicals. That includes any toilet bowl cleaners that you have that sit in the bowl. I'd be worried about chewing If I rented.

·
Super Moderator
5,874 Posts
You could get two baby gates to block off the bathroom door if you're concerned about scratching and chewing(the type that press tightly against a door frame).That would give you around 5 1/2 -6ft of height.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Unless I'm reading this wrong, 12 to 16 hours a day (plus the time it takes to go to and go home from work) is a LONG TIME to leave a dog of any age, much less a puppy. Is there any way you could hire a dog walker or have a friend or relative take the pup out once or twice while you're at work?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes that's exactly what I was gonna do.. Probably just take every possible thing that he could get ahold of and get it out of the way. I am nervous about scratching and clawing, but I'm even more concerned with him being confined for so long.... I hate it for him. But I was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with this and could share! Thanks!

Also I meant "objection" and not "objective" lol

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Arycrest you are not reading it wrong.. It's awful and I'm trying to find another job. He doesn't deserve that... They switched our shifts about a month after I had gotten him and I work 8pm-8am.. I do have my fiancé and her grandparents to come let him out in the evening and in the morning after I leave and before I get home, but it's still a long time during the night. I've been working around it. Right now I live in rural West Virginia and there's not much pet daycare or anything like that accessible until I move back in the city

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
So you're stuck working 12 hour shifts plus drive time. Then you have to sleep at some point. So we'll say another 6 hours. 19 hours a day your dog is expected to sleep or be contained. I would be looking for another job too. As far as locking him in the bathroom. I don't do that but I did convert my back laundry/storage room into my dogs daytime den. I like it much better than the idea of crating. He can look out the window, walk around, play with toys, basically just a lot more room than a crate has to offer but, he's still in containment. Anyway he's bouncing off the walls after 7 hours. I couldn't imagine 13. Do you have any relatives who could keep him throughout the week. Until you find different work.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So you're stuck working 12 hour shifts plus drive time. Then you have to sleep at some point. So we'll say another 6 hours. 19 hours a day your dog is expected to sleep or be contained. I would be looking for another job too. As far as locking him in the bathroom. I don't do that but I did convert my back laundry/storage room into my dogs daytime den. I like it much better than the idea of crating. He can look out the window, walk around, play with toys, basically just a lot more room than a crate has to offer but, he's still in containment. Anyway he's bouncing off the walls after 7 hours. I couldn't imagine 13. Do you have any relatives who could keep him throughout the week. Until you find different work.
I figure you have a bed and food set up in there for him too? That sounds more of what I'm thinking about. I'd love to have a room like the laundry room or something but I'm in an apartment and don't have many options, especially with him being so young.
They days I work alternate each week, so when I'm with him I'm WITH HIM.. It's just a matter of those 2 and 3 day stretches that I work. Fiancé and grandparents have been great about coming over to get him out to play with him, and my fiancé has him when I'm sleeping or when she's off, so it's not absolute 12 and 16 hour stretches every time but it's too much to expect out of him or relatives. I just feel really really bad

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
If you could puppy proof the bathroom for him that is what I would do. I also like the idea of putting a couple gates in the door that way he can at least see out the door. Wouldn't seem so secluded. I don't let my dog drink out of the toilet so I would secure the lid down so he can't play in there. With toys and a Bed he shouldn't tear up too much. Working 3 on 4 off and switching isn't real bad. At least it isn't every day. We have a couple kennels around here where if needed you can drop your dog off for a day and they will let them socialize and play with other pups. If you could swing something like that once a week it would eliminate one long day for him.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you cdwoodcox! That makes me feel a little better... I'm gonna work on conditioning him to being in the bathroom here soon then! Hopefully I'll find a new job soon too

1 - 10 of 10 Posts