German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed Chloe scratching ALOT. She does not have fleas and I use Frontline on her monthly. I have checked for them regardless.

I am wondering if it is her food. She has been on Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy Chicken and Rice for a few month now and this just started recently. I was intending to switch her over to adult food this week and probably should have sooner.

Are there any particle ingredients that commonly cause itching issues in dogs? I need to pick up some dog food this week so if I need to switch, the time would be now.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Well, I can speak from my experience....I was in the process of switching Gracie over to the BB adult chicken and rice and WHAM red, hot ears that she scratched until they bled. Folks on this forum suggested it was the barley and/or alfalfa. We stopped the food, put her on meds and is now cleared up!

Go down one forum to the diet/nutrition section and you'll get tons of great advice on food there! Good luck!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What did you end up switching to? It is so difficult to find good dog food around here. BB is the only one I have found. Mostly its always Science Diet, Purina, etc. here. I have seen Nutro but there was something about the ingredients I did not like.

Now I don't know what food to try.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
Rocky has food allergies and we have been through a bunch of foods. Rocky is currently on Natures Recipe Lamb and brown rice and he is doing very well. I have figured out that his worst enemy is the Gluten Corn meal. Every since I have taken that out of his diet, he has improved. He is also issue with Turkey.

Natural Balance is grain free, and some people have good luck with that one. We tried Rocky on it and he didn't seem to like it to much so we took him off of it.

Some people also like the Avoderm (it is a breeder's choice food) and their pups do well on it.

When we first were trying to get rid of his problems, there were three ingredients that dogs can be sensitive. Gluten Corn Meal, Sorghum, and sorry I don't remember the third.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was just reading your post and when I got on you had left anyway my shepherd does the same thing as I wqs reading the entries I saw an advertisement at the top it is for scratching it is named skineze I think it is at AllergicPet.com. It has all the usual testimonials but wondering has anyone tried this? and of course does it work? I read most dogs don't have food allergies but allergies to other things.although it seems that most talk here is about that. I am curious what other folks think.

·
Registered
20 Posts
have you tried a product named skineze allergicPets.com I was wondering if it worked I had responded to Chole's comments saw you were on line my GSD scraches all the time went through 5-6 different brands and food still haven't found the one that helps

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The BB didn't have any corn in it. So, I am wondering if its the barley and/or alfalfa that another poster mentioned.

I was looking at Natural Balance and Royal Canine for GSDs. So, I am trying to decide between the two.

·
Registered
7,924 Posts
Originally Posted By: Chloe DancerThe BB didn't have any corn in it. So, I am wondering if its the barley and/or alfalfa that another poster mentioned.

I was looking at Natural Balance and Royal Canine for GSDs. So, I am trying to decide between the two.
I was going to sugget the Natural Balance or Canidae. Gracie went back to her veterinary diet (she has SIBO). I went to the BB because it has FOS and MOS in it, which are important prebiotics for dogs with SIBO.

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
If you check the food section there are a lot of posts. If you ask about a specific food you might get alot of answers from people who have used it or are using it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts