German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I stop my pup from doing that?

He goes up to her... and she just wants to play! So she plays with him, but then he starts biting and nipping and her so naturally scared, she runs! And what does Max (my pup) so when she runs?? He chases her and starting biting some more.

I hate that I CONSTANTLY have to practically feel like I have to have him on a leash when my 3yr old is around.

Advice?

I know he's a pup and all, but he only seems to do it with her. Me and my wife only experience OCCASIONAL nips. Not on the daily like with my daughter.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Well, you might have to have him on a leash when he is around your three year old. And you need to train the three year old ob appropriate ways to interact. Supervision will be key.

It can be very trying to raise a GSD puppy around young children.
Sheilah

·
Registered
334 Posts
I having the same problem with Argos he is 13 weeks and bites really hard and we have 4 kids two that run away when he bites then e chases and bites harder what we do is this

1. Redirect puppy with a toy

2. Tell the child not to run the more they run te harder the pup will bite because he thinks they are trying to play

3. Give puppy a firm NO or No bite when he mouths them

4. Get your kids to play fetch with the pup by havin your child sit beside you always get them to ask puppy to sit before throwing the toy and make ire to have another toy in their hand by the time puppy comes back so the toy and not the child

5. When puppy is not mouthing (which seems like never) give him tons of praise saying good boy or that's nice

6. Get the child to help train your puppy so your pup realizes that your child is a pack leader and he must listen to her you can do this by giving a treat or toy he likes to the child for the pup and getting the pup to sit for the child and progress to laying down and staying

7. Be patient don't get mad puppies will be puppies and they do bite and it does hurt :) just try to stay positive

Here is a pic of our 3 year old daughter with Argos our 13 week old GSD and she has Asperger's syndrome and can get him to listen so for a child who can speak should be even easier :)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
when your 3 yr old child is around use that time to
train and socialize and yes you, you have to do it.
you have to supervise. a leash and a crate will help.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I having the same problem with Argos he is 13 weeks and bites really hard and we have 4 kids two that run away when he bites then e chases and bites harder what we do is this

1. Redirect puppy with a toy

2. Tell the child not to run the more they run te harder the pup will bite because he thinks they are trying to play

3. Give puppy a firm NO or No bite when he mouths them

4. Get your kids to play fetch with the pup by havin your child sit beside you always get them to ask puppy to sit before throwing the toy and make ire to have another toy in their hand by the time puppy comes back so the toy and not the child

5. When puppy is not mouthing (which seems like never) give him tons of praise saying good boy or that's nice

6. Get the child to help train your puppy so your pup realizes that your child is a pack leader and he must listen to her you can do this by giving a treat or toy he likes to the child for the pup and getting the pup to sit for the child and progress to laying down and staying

7. Be patient don't get mad puppies will be puppies and they do bite and it does hurt :) just try to stay positive

Here is a pic of our 3 year old daughter with Argos our 13 week old GSD and she has Asperger's syndrome and can get him to listen so for a child who can speak should be even easier :)

Yesterday I told my little one to take my place as a trainer, and my pup responded remarkably! I think I will make it a daily thing now and maybe get my wife into it too. Thanks for the advice! Never thought about having my daughter train him before. Good recommendation!

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
We did that here, too. Also, you can teach child to feed the dog. Have the dog sit and wait before the child puts down the bowl.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank goodness I found this thread. My three year old twins like Samantha. In fact, they tell me so. However, when she chases and bites on them I can see the fear on them. It hurts to see them this way and I definitely want them to form a bond now. So thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, I have two lil bros, turning 4 & 5. Right now my 10-month-old pup, when he sits, is taller than them.

My brothers absolutely adore the dog, and they want to play rough & tumble with him, but they start crying, saying "Garmin bite me!" when the pup nips at them. What I did was tap him on the nose, a firm "No," and a sit and lie down.

Nowadays, they have their rough & tumble sessions (boys will be boys), but Garmin isn't nipping that much anymore. On the few occasions he does, I'll give him a disapproving look and a "No," from across the room, and he'll lie down.

The problem with Garmin being so docile, the kids are learning to ride on him like a miniature horse. But they do have their peaceful moments, when all three of them are curled up in a couch.

They make a perfect pair, children and dogs. (At least eventually.)

·
Registered
595 Posts
Thank goodness I found this thread. My three year old twins like Samantha. In fact, they tell me so. However, when she chases and bites on them I can see the fear on them. It hurts to see them this way and I definitely want them to form a bond now. So thank you.

I'm sorry, and I would worry about that too. I made it clear to ours he is never allowed to chase any kids and if he does, I move the playpen outdoors and let him sit in there for a bit. We also do make a point to tire him out first by playing fetch. And then give him a chewy while he sits and watches. Maybe this isn't the best way to get them to bond, but I don't want him to think it is every okay to chase a small child. And mine aren't even small, it is just that a lot of our friends have small kids. So I feel the need to teach him this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts