German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Will my puppies shedding become worse? He’s almost eight months old, and he has what I’m told is a tight coat. He is my first GSD. He does definitely shed, but there’s hardly any more hair to sweep up than before with just my two other short haired dogs. I recently bought an undercoat rake for him and not much by GSD standards comes out!

·
Registered
852 Posts
There’s quite a range as far as coat quality (and coat types of course). I’m sure breeding plays a part... but I’d say diet plays a bigger part, as does grooming. My dogs blow their coats twice a year.... it can last from 3-6 weeks each dog and they aren’t on the same sqedule which I can’t quite figure out how/why. Anyway... outside of seasonal blowing, if recently bathed and regular brushing - I do have a few months out of the year where my good ol randomly bred boys don’t (or barely) shed. When my girl who has since passed was raw fed, her coat was at its best and I very rarely dealt with hair.

But man when it’s bad, it’s BAD. Went to the self service dog wash yesterday - there are 6 tubs and it was a pretty busy day. I felt so bad, every single person left with GSD hair on them once I started with the dryer. So embarrassing!
Ha ha. Hilarious. I used to take my previous one to the self service wash too. He was long haired and every time we were done, there were hair and fur all over the floor, the walls, the tubs, and even on the ceiling. (It's the exact reason why I didn't wash him at home.) I felt so bad that someone had to clean it up and embarrassed and I always rushed to get out.

Over his lifetime I was able to save a large lawn garbage bag full of his hair and fur. (That's not all of it, just some of the hair that I brushed and saved.) I've heard of ladies that have small businesses that take dog's hair and fur and make yarn out of it and then knit or crochet scarves, hats, gloves, etc. It's a good keepsake and another way to remember your dogs besides urns and pictures. I haven't gotten around to doing it yet. It's still hard a year later to even look at his pictures, let alone wear a scarf made of his fur.

The current dog is 13 months old and I started saving his fur/hair (from brushing him) from day 1. He's not a long haired GSD, just a normal coated GSD. So I've only been able to save half a small plastic shopping bag in the year that I've had him.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I know I’ll get crap for this but I’m almost at my breaking point. Over the course of 20years I owned 6 APBTs and never had to clean up after them as much as I have this one dog in 2 years. It is truly downplayed in any description of any article,how much German Shepherds shed. I love showing my dogs attention, hugging, and petting them but indoors it’s hard to be affectionate to my GSD because how much hair disperses. Only time I play with her is outdoors, which is limited. I’ve gone through 4 vacuums including my $700 dyson pet vac. I’m on my 5th vacuum now which is ok so far but no miracle. I don’t considering myself a neat freak but I also don’t like to be covered in dog hair constantly. The xpet 6hp grooming vac I just got is also useless. There’s no end or no way to combat this. Great breed great personality but definitely not an indoors dog. Unless you like eating hair

·
Super Moderator
4,743 Posts
If you watch Animal Planet the Dogs 101 show does warn that they do shed a lot all the time.

I am thankful that with mostly hardwood floors I don't go through too many vacuums. The important thing is to make sure you have a strong motor and clean the dust trap frequently. And then cuss under your breath when you see a fluff float across the floor you just finished cleaning.

To be fair I had a short haired smaller dog and a long haired cat and I still got fluffs all over the house. Swept every day.

https://www.gocomics.com/dogsofckennel/2019/02/20

·
Registered
708 Posts
I’ve never had tumbleweeds, but I swept every day even with my shorthairs. I can’t imagine having strictly carpet, as it is a bit more challenging to clean up my bedroom as opposed to the rest of the house that has wood floors.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a couple Dyson cordless vacs also. Love them! I have wood and tile floors, with limited carpeting so it's super easy to clean up. I just run the Dyson around once a few times a week and it keeps it in check. My pupper is only 10 months so I'm pretty sure I've had it easy so far! :)

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I know I’ll get crap for this but I’m almost at my breaking point. Over the course of 20years I owned 6 APBTs and never had to clean up after them as much as I have this one dog in 2 years. It is truly downplayed in any description of any article,how much German Shepherds shed. I love showing my dogs attention, hugging, and petting them but indoors it’s hard to be affectionate to my GSD because how much hair disperses. Only time I play with her is outdoors, which is limited. I’ve gone through 4 vacuums including my $700 dyson pet vac. I’m on my 5th vacuum now which is ok so far but no miracle. I don’t considering myself a neat freak but I also don’t like to be covered in dog hair constantly. The xpet 6hp grooming vac I just got is also useless. There’s no end or no way to combat this. Great breed great personality but definitely not an indoors dog. Unless you like eating hair
I had a Bissell upright, bagless that I got on sale for about 50 bucks. Lasted me 4 years. :grin2: As I wander through Walmart, if I note them on sale, I grab one. Been doing this for over 10 years. I have two, brand new, never opened sitting in a trailer at the moment. Drive belts break every 6 months or so, a bag of them is a couple bucks, takes 10 minutes to change most of which is finding a screwdriver and before I toss the vacuums I strip them for parts since I keep buying the same one.
Up until a couple years ago I had multiple dogs. Dog hair? No problem. I don't own any blowers or dryers or stuff. Wire brush, shedding rake and I use the upholstery attachment with the vacuum sometimes. They like it.
Vacuum once a day, brush every couple days, use dryer balls in the dryer to knock hair off jackets and sweaters every few days. They lay on couches, sleep in beds. Shadow spends time in motels with me and the only comments I get are that she is awesome.

EVERY single site I have found jokes about the shedding. Yes they shed. A lot. the name German Shedders is pretty well known and it's how we track other owners. Checkout line conversation, looks at my jacket "Shepherd?" I look at his "Yup. You to?" :wink2:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sheba was shedding quite a lot back in the fall, but these past 2-3 months she has been dropping almost no hair at all! Even while petting her, she seems to have almost no loose hairs; if I were to tug on her coat, I might... might... get 1 or 2 loose hairs. I can't allow myself to get too excited though, as spring is fast approaching!!

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

·
Registered
31,379 Posts
Well, first, if you've gone thru 4 vacuums including a Dyson in just 2 years you have a quality control problem or an OCD problem not a dog hair problem. I've had my Dyson for years with 2 shepherds and a husky.

I've had Boxers and Dobermans. They had just as much hair. It was just smaller and embedded in everything.

I'm not giving you crap. It just truly sounds like you don't have the tolerance for all the hair and that is more of a priority to you than the dog. Perhaps you should go back to APBT's. Not everyone is cut out for every breed.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
On the vacuum issue. I have 2 Electrolux bought used a few yrs ago and they are about 40 yrs or older for under 100.00 ea. Still going strong and the suction grabs the fur bunnies like no tomorrow. You can find them on cl from time to time.

·
Super Moderator
32,252 Posts
I always feel like such a slacker in these convos about grooming, cleaning, and shedding. We vacuum once a week and I brush every few months whether they need it or not, lol.

I think it's different with longcoats, the fur tends to stay on the dog until brushed off rather than falling off all over the house and collecting as tumbleweeds in the corners. We have carpet in the bedrooms, living room, and dining room, travertine tile in the kitchen, vinyl in one bathroom, and hardwood in the front room, halls, and master bath. I do remember when we had stock coats it was different, but our floors are really not that bad even though we're not compulsive cleaners by any stretch of the imagination.

·
Super Moderator
5,635 Posts
I’m a groomer, so my life IS dog hair, lol. Hair at work, hair in my car, hair at home. It’s just the way it is when you have double coated dogs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well, first, if you've gone thru 4 vacuums including a Dyson in just 2 years you have a quality control problem or an OCD problem not a dog hair problem. I've had my Dyson for years with 2 shepherds and a husky.

I've had Boxers and Dobermans. They had just as much hair. It was just smaller and embedded in everything.

I'm not giving you crap. It just truly sounds like you don't have the tolerance for all the hair and that is more of a priority to you than the dog. Perhaps you should go back to APBT's. Not everyone is cut out for every breed.
Yep being clean is more of a priority for me unfortunately. I do take good care of my dog. Lucky for her she’s still a house dog and and that’s with me having a yard big enough for her. All in all, I had no idea what I was getting into with the shedding and I had heard the term German Shedder. No one mentioned that this was an everyday occurrence by the boat loads. I’ll go back to feeding her raw and see if that helps. Even then I had to brush her 3 days per week for nearly 2 hours at a time. Any idea what’s the best brush? So far the furminator short coat rake seems to be the best. She does have a short coat but not like a czech working line GSD. Just a tad longer.

·
Super Moderator
32,252 Posts
I haven't heard of the dryer you have, this is the one I have and it's great: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051CCJHO/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've had it since July 2016. When I put it on my Amazon shopping list it was selling for around $170, and I wasn't ready to spend the money so I was just saving it for later. Not long after, I was browsing the saved items on my list and saw that the price had dropped to $121.49, so I ordered it immediately! It blows out an incredible amount of fur, and can be used after a bath to dry the dog, or on a dry coat. The first time I used it on Keefer I did both - I blew him out first, gave him a bath, then blew him out again to dry him fully. Outside, of course, you don't want to use this thing in the house.

Other than that, my tools of choice are an undercoat rake, and a slicker brush. I have a self cleaning one similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Self-Cleaning-Slicker-Pet-Grooming-Stainless/dp/B000YIWVA0

·
Registered
31,379 Posts
Yep being clean is more of a priority for me unfortunately. I do take good care of my dog. Lucky for her she’s still a house dog and and that’s with me having a yard big enough for her. All in all, I had no idea what I was getting into with the shedding and I had heard the term German Shedder. No one mentioned that this was an everyday occurrence by the boat loads. I’ll go back to feeding her raw and see if that helps. Even then I had to brush her 3 days per week for nearly 2 hours at a time. Any idea what’s the best brush? So far the furminator short coat rake seems to be the best. She does have a short coat but not like a czech working line GSD. Just a tad longer.
There is being clean and there is clean. Many of us have clean homes and don't eat hair. :)

Feeding raw makes zero difference.

I like the rake and comb. The furminator is for pulling undercoat when they are really blowing coat or you haven't brushed in a while.

I have an Air Force blower, 2sp, 4HP. it will help but you have to do it outside.

I think your best bet is to find a vacuum attachment or send her to a groomer once a week for a bath and blow dry.

As far as a Czech working line having short hair...the "line" they come from has nothing to do with whether they have a tight or plush coat. It has to do with direct ancestry. My boy has a tight coat. he doesnt' shed any less.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts

I couldn't agree more. I had Great Danes and so did some of my friends. That hair sure was the worst. They shed more because the growth phase of the short hair is shorter than that of dogs with longer hair so the cycle completes itself faster resulting in more shedding. The texture is also very course and it does embed itself in everything. It won't vacuum or tape off. I found myself picking each and every individual hair by hand off of my furniture, clothes and carpeting. My Dane owning friends did the same.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts

My Dane shed worse then any dog I have met. Course hairs that wove into things and could not be remove by means known to man. I don't see how that hair could be compared to the delightful dust bunnies that drift across the floor. I also owned Staffies and AmStaffs and found the same thing. Little short stabby hairs that could penetrate any fabric at will.
Of course I am crazy and dog hair is a non issue in my world. Dogs never complained about my hair on things either.

·
Registered
7,234 Posts
Nope, don’t use a force dryer in the house. It’ll end up like this, lol

My wife did this inside our house and it looked like a hair bomb went off. Works great to remove loose hair and other debris, but for sure it's an outside tool only.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts