German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... the first two bacterial skin infections occurred within the same week as immunizations...... Now, I believe we are starting our third skin infection. The same deal going on again. WHY????? Is it possible the immunizations have messed with his immune system so these pyodermic skin infections will continue forever? Will he outgrow this? Any people with experience?

There isn't any allergies. I had his blood tested and every possible thing else tested and he has no major health issues other than these skin deals. They have seemed to be caused by immunizations. HELP!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Blood testing for food allergies is notoriously unreliable so unless you've done an elimination diet, you have no way of knowing what your dog is reacting to.

Did you have skin testing done for environmental allergies and I mean a shaved side where they stuck needles in?

Your dog screams allergies and unless you've done the above, you can't say that he doesn't have them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good call elaine. No, I was under the impression by the vet that the blood testing was good enough. I live in Germany and have just been trusting this vet. I will request that if this continues. Right now I have him on raw, and he is a million times better as far as coat and energy and poop goes. He was extremely allergic to puppy food. I will request that.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Don't feel too bad about the vet, the vast majority of them have almost no grasp of what to do with a dog with allergies other than just handing out some pred to deal with it.

As your dog had an improvement with the change in diet, that sounds like he definitely has at least food allergies. Most likely has environmental ones too, but for sure has food allergies.

As you are feeding raw, you can try feeding a protein and carb that he has never, ever eaten for up to 8 weeks and see what happens. If he gets worse, stop feeding that and try something else. If he gets better, he's not allergic to it and you can start slowly adding in other things like supplements. Variety is not in this dog's future. Find what he can eat and stick with it and that means no treats of any kind too.

Do get the skin test done too so you can see if there's anything you can do in that department too.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
I've had very good luck with the blood test for allergies. Are you sayimg that not one thing showed up on the allergy test?

Personally I wouldn't bother with the skin test, but that's me.

It is very possible that this was triggered by the vaccinations. If this is the case, the best way that I know of combatting vaccine induced disease, is with homeopathy.

It is possible that the infections are not strictly bacterial, but have an autoimmune component which is why there is a return of the bacterial component - also possible that you have found found the right antibiotic.

This messes up the raw-thing, but I would try to find a single protein, or at most two, and single carb (I used to use veggies for this) for the diet.

Have you read Jean's post in the other thread? Her Nina was IgA deficient and battled these infections.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts