German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from a food intolerence, what could this be? I've had him on lamb/rice, duck/rice, duck/potato, fish/sweet potato, and there's been no change at all in his poops, so I'm starting to doubt an intolerance. Sometimes his poops will have a mucus-like membrane over part of them. I was thinking worms but he's on Sentinel which claims to prevent hookworms, roundworms, and whipworms. I'm at my wits' end!

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Take to vet and have checked for SIBO and a TLI test for EPI done at once. Make sure dog is fasted for 12 hours before blood draw even if vet staff says a fast isn't necessary. We have a lot of EPI and SIBO info threads -- read them so you will know what to request and how to treat your pup.

I would also have the vet do a complete worm testing to rule those out even if you don't think the dog can have worms.

SIBO and/or EPI can not be treated by just changing food even though a change in diet is usually part of the treatment.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Also check for giarrdia and coccidia, both will cause sloppy poop.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Originally Posted By: kay13411Also check for giarrdia and coccidia, both will cause sloppy poop.
You've got it!!!!

The members here are so well educated!!!!!!!!!!
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
chicken and rice

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Originally Posted By: dd
It could also be chronic colitis.
That was my first thought with the mucusy stool.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Check for parasites (hookworms, roundworms, etc. despite what the Sentinel says it does)

Have a giradia antigen blood test done if they have already come up negative with a fecal.

Have TLI run for EPI be sure dog is fasted for 12 hours.

Have a cobalamin/folate test run for SIBO. Low B-12 and High Folate are indicative of SIBO (very common in the GSD). However, this test is not definative so the results can vary quite a bit in a SIBO dog.

Many times a trial of antibiotics such as Tylan or Tetracycline is used.

Worse case scenerio endoscopy or colonoscopy to check for IBD or Colitis.

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I made an apt to see the vet on Monday. I'll write all this down and go over it with him. Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Dante's Giardia caused mucousy (Is that a word?) stools and he ate a lot load of food and didn't gain weight.
2 Giardia fecals negative - Giardia Antigen positive.
Giardia can cause malabsorbtion so for some dogs could cause weight loss or as in Dante's case not allow them to gain in proportion to the amount they're eating.

·
Registered
15,976 Posts
In our case here, mucousy stools were caused by giving a bit of raw local honey for help with alergies... Cause discovered by accident because one day I forgot the honey and the stools were good....
This was after visiting two vets about it with no answers.... So don't expect your vet to pick up on too much sugar in the diet....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts