German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 21 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a thread that addressed sleeping in the same area as your puppy, but my situation is a bit different. I've had Buster for about 4.5 years, and since we got him (at age 2) he's been sleeping downstairs. We adopted him from the local state school police department and he is super well trained. He currently has full access to the bottom of the house and has been super good about not getting into stuff and not going upstairs. Recently my husband decided to move out of the house (different forum all together) and i've noticed that Buster has been showing signs of wanting to go upstairs with me more and more. He's also barking at the door when the doorbell rings, which he didn't do before. Anyway, I feel like he spends a lot of time alone and I was wondering if I should bring him upstairs with me during the night. I just want to make sure it's healthy for him. My concern is that he will want to go upstairs when I'm not there and would like to train him to not do that. Ideas? Thoughts?

Side note (but might be important) he currently lays right next to the front door as soon as I say good night.

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
He will love you for it. Get a baby gate if you don't want him to go upstairs when you are gone. He will probably waiting at the door anyways. I am glad you kept the best one of the two ?. That's what my boss told me when I brought my dog to work in the past after a breakup.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't see why it would be a problem, as he is an obedient dog already. I agree with the baby gate but I am sure you can train him not to go upstairs while you are gone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
He wants to be with you. Let him sleep in your room, assuming he will lay down and be quiet. I bet he stays downstairs close to the door when you are gone. If not, a baby gate is a great solution.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys! i keep wanting to do it, but am scared he won't stay still during the night. but I also don't want him to feel lonely.

·
Registered
509 Posts
All our dogs have always slept in our room with us. They don't leave during the night, even though the bedroom door is open. They might change locations in the room, but they don't leave.

I agree that your dog will be happier being where you are. I image you would be, too.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sure, go for it. Jack is allowed to sleep in our bedroom, but he prefers to sleep just outside the bedroom door or on the stair landing. So, we put his dog bed outside the door as part of his "guard post". When he's not feeling well, he'll come sleep next to the bed, though.

And unless he's feeling ill, he's quiet as a mouse and stays fairly still.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Do whatever you want. personally I don't let the dogs come upstairs. They will do fine either way.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
My dogs sleep with me, but in crates or on the floor. That is where they want to be. If I leave them in another room, they howl. I keep the door closed when I’m not home and they stay where I want them to.

·
Super Moderator
5,516 Posts
Mine have slept with me this past year. They used to sleep in the living room. I also have a baby gate (best invention ever). My son just got a gate last week for his GSD Russ, and he said it was "life changing", LOL.

·
Registered
212 Posts
It seems like you might want him upstairs, do whatever works for you :) There is nothing unhealthy about it anyway. My dogs sleep in my bedroom, I have two dog beds (on the floor) for them. They are quiet all night. It's where they have always slept and they know the routine.

I also have a baby gate on the bottom of my stairs. My dog can jump over it easily if she wants to, but she respects it. Plus I keep my bedroom doors shut upstairs during the day anyway. When I leave the house my girl just goes to the corner and sleeps until I return anyway (I've video recorded her before - curiosity!).

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
thanks guys! i keep wanting to do it, but am scared he won't stay still during the night. but I also don't want him to feel lonely.
That was my dilemma too. I wanted her in the bedroom and that would have been fine if she weren't barking up a storm in the middle of the night along with jumping and scratching at the window. That just gave me about heart failure so no more of that.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Yes to the baby gates! About your dog's new behaviour post-husband... Sometimes dogs just pick up these things. He might know that he has to step up and protect the house even more now. Regarding sleeping in the bedroom, since is already a well-behaved dog, I think he'll settle to it soon and also it'll make him very happy if he can stay with you. He doesn't have to be on the bed with you, he can sleep on the floor or you can get a dog bed just for him.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read a thread that addressed sleeping in the same area as your puppy, but my situation is a bit different. I've had Buster for about 4.5 years, and since we got him (at age 2) he's been sleeping downstairs. We adopted him from the local state school police department and he is super well trained. He currently has full access to the bottom of the house and has been super good about not getting into stuff and not going upstairs. Recently my husband decided to move out of the house (different forum all together) and i've noticed that Buster has been showing signs of wanting to go upstairs with me more and more. He's also barking at the door when the doorbell rings, which he didn't do before. Anyway, I feel like he spends a lot of time alone and I was wondering if I should bring him upstairs with me during the night. I just want to make sure it's healthy for him. My concern is that he will want to go upstairs when I'm not there and would like to train him to not do that. Ideas? Thoughts?

Side note (but might be important) he currently lays right next to the front door as soon as I say good night.
Our 3 shepherds sleep in our upstairs bedroom with a baby gate at doorway, one male on each side of our bed and our female usually sleeps on the bed at our feet, over the last 40 years we've always had our shepherds sleep in our bedroom, they like to sleep with the pack. The only time its a problem is in the summer time when the coyotes are howling and our pack howls back, usually about 2am.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Our pup has stayed in our room since day 1. Solution for us was two crates- one downstairs for daytime and one upstairs. She's never kept me awake at night. My husband's snoring well......

·
Registered
285 Posts
All of my other dogs have slept by my feet on the bed and didn't seem and the worse for wear.

The current pup seems to do better with a bit more structure. He sleeps on the floor of the bedroom.

I puppy-proofed the bedroom and close the door so he is confined to a limited space for the night. When I go to bed, he gets about 10 minutes of calm snuggle/playtime after I invite him onto the bed. After snuggle time is over i say, "ok, bedtime" he hops off the bed and happily settled down in a little space he found himself between a dresser and the corner of the room where the laundry basket used to sit.

At least for us, it seems to be a good balance between giving him too much freedom to make mischief and being together.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Karma started in our room from day 1. she would wake me up when it was time to go outside in the middle of the night. When she got old enough she slept on a dog bed we got her. After a couple mornings of waking up and seeing some of my wife's clothing chewed up, and the corner of her dog bed with a hole in it (even though she had a deer antler and a bone to chew on) we decided it was better off crate training her.

i personally love the idea of her roaming the house on patrol in the middle of the night (she doesn't bark often), but since she is a chewer, i don't trust her at this time.

Like others have described it sounds like your pup has noticed your husband no longer being there, and is stepping up to protect you. He's your pup, you do whatever you want with him :) i personally would get a dog bed and put it in your room for him at night. if it becomes an issue, just bring it downstairs so he can sleep by the door.

·
Super Moderator
2,855 Posts

Yeah... That's 225 pounds of dog, and me, in my twin bed.

Usually, there are 2 on the floor and Lucian, my service dog, at the foot of the bed or under my legs.

The wife and I have separate rooms because I rarely sleep more than a couple hours straight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, this is lonely for her, you can let her sleep upstairs, but prepare one comfortable and large dog bed for her to sleep, I recommend calming dog bed from abbyspace, lucy have one for three months.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Our soon-to-be 8 month old sleeps in the bedroom, out of a crate. She usually starts off on the bed, but within 10-15 minutes, hops down on the floor. We sleep with a fan for white noise and a little breeze, so she may not care for the fan. Our previous GSD rotated between the bed and the floor. If you use a baby gate to keep him downstairs during the day, maybe take the collar off so he doesn't accidentally get hung up on it.

1 - 21 of 20 Posts