German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am considering adding another GSD to our family. I currently have a 2 1/2 year old female (show line) who fits our family perfectly. She is highly intelligent and has a great temperament. (Both of her parents are Schutzhund titled) I really enjoy our training classes and she does quite well. Here's the question. My breeder/trainer is also involved in Schutzhund and ring sport. After observing several ( and I really mean several) I have fallen in love with this sport. My girl definitely has it in her blood line but she is more of a companion dog, which is exactly what I wanted at the time. Would it be a bad idea to add a dog to our family with that kind of temperament and drive? I'm leaning toward a working line. My girl gets along with other dogs at class fine and there is no aggression issues. I would like a male so that there would be less of a chance of fighting. I'm a stay at home mom living on 25 acres so we have lots of room and lots of love to go around. I just don't know if it would be a bad mix of personalities. I do know of a 10 month old male that may be a good fit. Thanks is advance for any input.

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Hm, interesting question....

I normally don't recommend getting 2 dogs so close in age because it's so much work and can cause so many more problems.

BUT if your current female is well trained and socialized and already 'practically perfect'.

AND if you have a training plan/club you KNOW you will be attending to train and work with your new dog then you are in a bit better situation than most of us as far as being able to responsibly deal with both dogs.

I know I personally prefer a bit more of an age split between my dogs. I go for about 5 years myself, but would push it back to 3 if there was a reason. SO much training and socialization for each dog so that's about the amount of time I need to know, really know. that I've worked thru and gotten my 'perfect dog' so feel confident to add another.

The other serious issue comes 12+ years from now with the issues that come up with senior dogs. Medically with costs and meds and senior care. Plus the possible lifting and carrying that may need to happen if there are stairs in the house. Let alone the decisions that need to be made during those years when issues come up. I would SO rather just deal with one dog at a time and it helps with the bigger age difference.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts