German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am considering getting a GSD but I'm not sure whether I can provide enough of what they need.

I live in Scotland so generally a cold climate. I'm a teenager, halfway through high school. So I would be away 8:15-15:35/14:45/17:30 (it varies.) I'd be able to walk them quickly in the morning, maybe ten minutes or so. They would only be alone for a couple of hours because my dad generally works from home. I could walk them for a half hour to 1 hour when I got home and I usually run in the evenings so I was thinking the GSD could come with me and run beside me?

I also have a dog already, he is staffy/labrador/whippet. He is between 5-6 years old, we got him from a shelter, he had been previously abused. He is very protective of us, doesn't really like to be left alone ( barks and whines when we return) and doesn't like small dogs.

Is this suitable?

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Will you be the only one taking care of the dog or is this a family effort? Will the puppy be safe around your other dog? You might want to check out some of the stickies in the puppy and training sections and see if you think a GSD pup will be a good fit. They do require a lot of time and attention and your schedule sound pretty busy. Also, you don't want to start running with a GSD pup until they are mature, it can be hard on growing joints.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well I was in the same position as you only i had never owned a dog before nevermind a gsd but i did alot of research. The biggest concern is the other dog how it will react to a new pup you have to be certain it will work out and also i would say get a pup from a breeder, you really can not know for sure the life an adult dog has had before you've had he/she.

I would not worry at all about a cold climate as my gsd would prefer that to hot conditions.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I would look into a 1-3 yr old rescue. GSD pups take a lot of work that would distract from school work. If you want to run, an older one would suit you better, I think. Additionally, a GSD pup is small, your other dog may not like it so much

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
what happens after highschool...go away to college? working and away from home for 10 to 12 hours a day? make sure your family is really on board with this as he might end up inheriting your gsd. also if this will really be your gsd, in 8 years or so, will it causes problems if you move and want tp take the family dog that you consider yours? just some food for thought.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts