German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, my male german shepherd, Blitz is currently 6 months old. We have been feeding Orijen Large Puppy, currently 3 cups a day (one cup for breakfast, one cup for lunch, one cup for dinner). I recently found out that my butcher sells a raw beef mix specifically for dog food. He said it is mostly organ meet and fat ground up, frozen and cubed. He charges .80/lb so economically it makes sense. The question would be what would I have to add to make it a balanced meal for my pup? He is doing well on Orijen so I don't need to make the change but I would like to hear advice on what would be best healthwise for him in the long run.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
A raw food diet needs to be properly balanced, especially for a growing puppy. This mix is not balanced if it is mostly fat and organ meat.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
If your pup is doing well on Orijen and you're in no hurry to switch, I, personally, would stick with it until he's an adult. It gives you more time to research and learn. Imho, butchers can be a great resource for hard to get whole organs but unless they feed their own dogs raw, probably don't have much knowledge about balancing a mix.

I wouldn't use a mix as you described it to feed a pup. Chances are the butcher wouldn't have the specific weight ratio of each item that was used. It would be hard add what was missing and get a really good balance. If I knew that butcher personally and could request a specific blend, I would consider incorporating it into my adult dogs diet.

Reactions: wolfy dog

·
Banned
2,016 Posts
I don't think a straight kibble diet is sufficient. I like to add cooked ground turkey, cooked gizzards and heart, cooked chicken liver, greens, carrots, canned fish, cooked eggs, green beans, etc. I am talking about just a little of one type of meat/egg and one type of vegetable with the vegetables finely chopped. If dairy isn't a problem, plain yogurt with fat can be added. I see plain kibble as kind of living off of Cheerios, even though kibble is more nutritionally balanced. Some dogs will eat certain fruits and tomatoes. Just know what foods dogs shouldn't eat like grapes, onions, and there are several others, including certain types of greens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts