German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI, I am in the research phase of getting a gsd. I have some questions that maybe some of you could help me out with. I live on 34 acres in a remote mountain valley. I have always had dogs but never a gsd. I am retired and can spend 24/7 with the dog. I have always treated my dogs like family and would never consider making my dog sleep outside. I am looking for a close companion. I have no interest in an attack dog or a dog that could be a danger to others. My questions are these
In an unfenced yard do GSDs have a tendency to roam?
Are they inclined to chase deer or other animals?
My only neighbor has two setters, Do GSDs generally get along with other dogs?
What can I expect to pay for a good quality GSD pup?
Finally, Does anyone have any breeder recommendations?
Thanks alot for any advice and info

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I trained my GSD not to leave the yard. I showed him the property line and taught him not to go past it but I never leave him outside alone. I would be worried that another animal would get in my yard and get my dog.

I think almost any dog would chase an animal.

It depends on the dog. My GSD loves other dogs.

$1200 and up

If you give us your location we might be able to help you better :)

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
We have 8 unfenced acres and Stosh doesn't leave the yard without me. He is allowed to go in the lake and into the creeks on each side of the property. When we go for a hike in the woods across the street I put him on a lead until we get into the woods. We do have a fenced area that's about an acre for when I need him to be confined, so you might want to fence in a yard for your dog. Stosh loves other dogs but he's always been around them. He loves to run after squirrels and deer but I've done a lot of training on recall and down so I can control just how far he goes.

The prices vary- I didn't pay anywhere close to $1200.

·
Registered
29,131 Posts
GSDs are very loyal to their owners, they normally like to stay by you. I have 10 GSDs that we let out in our un-fenced backyard and they do not leave the yard. Then again, we don't just leave them there. We stay with them till they are done and ready to come in.

YES! Unless the dog has zero prey drive which will be very very rare.

They can be good with other dogs if well socialized and the dog has a good temperament.

Anywhere from $1200 to $1500

Where are you located? Are you ok with shipping from out of State?

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
We have 8 unfenced acres and Stosh doesn't leave the yard without me. He is allowed to go in the lake and into the creeks on each side of the property. When we go for a hike in the woods across the street I put him on a lead until we get into the woods. We do have a fenced area that's about an acre for when I need him to be confined, so you might want to fence in a yard for your dog. Stosh loves other dogs but he's always been around them. He loves to run after squirrels and deer but I've done a lot of training on recall and down so I can control just how far he goes.

The prices vary- I didn't pay anywhere close to $1200.
When you have a dog that can wander(even on your own land), they can be injured by coyotes, wolves or people shooting them. Stosh can testify to this....

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I think any dog unsupervised, unfenced yard, will roam. If I were to let my dog out (yard not fenced) and just left her there, I am sure she would go visit the neighbors. They give her treats. I like the idea of fencing in a small area outside for your dog to just hang out. I have been obedience training her since she was 9 wks old when I got her. She is now almost 5. She has a bond with me that keeps her close when we hike off leash. She has chased rabbits and deer, but with the no,out, or come commands, has stopped in her tracks. The dog is a prey animal. Only natural for them to chase down lunch. I have raised my dog to be social with other animals and people. I paid $900 for her 5 yrs ago. I only charge $1,000 for a pup now, but that is me with one dog and this is my second litter in two years. So the price will vary greatly, but I wouldnt pay more than $1800-$2000. There are several great breeders that charge that or less, from quality stock.
As stated above, where do you live? It is easier to point you to a quality breeder that is geographically close to you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in a remote valley in Northwest Montana. I would be willing to drive up to 500 miles to pick a dog up. It is pretty wild up here. I only have one neighbor the next closest place is 4 miles away.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Sounds like u r in a great spot for a GSD ! Just build a large dog run for when you can't supervise ( some chicken wire and some stakes ) and assuming your dog doesn't dig - u r good to go !!

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I on the other hand have often thought about having family members sleep outside !!

Shepherds are not roamers the way beagles or the northern breeds are - but they can still find trouble , or trouble can find its way to your doorstep.

How close is your neighbours house from yours. Are his setters are out and used to criss crossing over the property lines ? My concern there would be that your young pup will have a magnetic draw to the dogs . He would join them and run like a band of gypsies playing all day .
Too much fun . You would loose some of the closeness that you are looking for.

You said you don't want an attack dog or a dog that is a danger to someone.

You live in a remote area. A GSD is protective of his territory . How would you want your dog to respond if someone , a stranger, came out of the woods and walked up to your front door? GSD are not clownish setters .

Only a dead dog won't chase a rabbit or a deer .
Do you have bear where you are?

The price I wouldn't be too stingy on . It depends . Breeders on this forum are to be appreciated and respected . I don't know one that does not put some serious thought and study into their breeding plans. I would say a good pup , backed up by guarantees can be in the $1,200 to $1,800 range. Breeders are constantly shelling out the bucks trying to improve their stock . We have seen some dodgy , crank em out type "breeders" charge the same price range -- but they fall drastically short in the care and socializing and interest of the animal over the long term . A good breeder will be there for you .

Just out of curiousity what kind of setters do your neighbours have. I have fond memories of an English setter that I trained for the family of a high school friend.
Nothing more beautiful than an Irish setter - but seriously quite the reputation for being air heads.

best wishes
Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs

·
Registered
137 Posts
I live on several acres (but then my land goes on to thousands of acres of forest/mountains. I don't leave my dogs outside on their own unless I am in and out but they never go much further than a few metres from the cabin without me. If I go and sit outside and read, they just stay right by me (usually wanting me to throw the ball :D). I don't think it's a breed trait to wander...more the opposite (hard to get them to go away from you! :laugh:)

As for chasing, I think that depends a lot on the dog. I taught my last 2 GSD's not to chase, mostly because there were a lot of deer on our walks and they learnt very early on that they can't chase. I have to many pics to search through for a better one but here was one of my last dogs with some deer in the background. Granted he was an old man here, but he ignored them even as a youngster.

Having said that I think it depends on how much prey drive the puppy has, my last 2 were fairly low so I could train them easily not to chase. It is harder with my current 2!

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
I would worry about skunks and porcupines. Those two critters are why my dogs are never unsupervised out in the unfenced part of the yard.

·
Registered
66 Posts
just my 2 cents here,

Try looking for a local rescue, according to your criteria, it doesn't seem like you're going to be doing much work (i.e. agility, showing, schutzhund, herding, etc...) so there may not be much need to shell out upwards of $1200 for a working line pup from a breeder. You might be better off just paying 2 or 300 for a rescue pup, and saving a life in the process!
And since you seem to be looking primarily for a companion, a rescue will love you 20x more because it sees you as a rescuer from it's former situation!

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Something to consider since you've never had a dog before and you live in the middle of nowhere...

GSDs need a lot of socialization and training. If your closest neighbor is 4miles away you would have to commit to traveling almost everyday to expose your pup to different things. If you need a trainer you'll have to be willing to travel once a week for that as well.

You might want to look into purchasing an older pup from a breeder or rescuing an adult dog that already has been trained and socialized.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Brandi, that is so true!!!!! Excellent point on the socialization thing. You are going to really have to work hard to get a dog who is cool in all different situations. That has been one of my biggest challenges with Niko.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
We are on 20+ acres of mostly wooded area - we have established the boundaries with our dogs - they have little incentive to leave our property. GSDs are not like hunting or hound breeds - they just don't have much desire to wander.
Because they are herding dogs they usually have a very high prey drive. However, our Mercedes would sit on our porch and watch the deer go by.
Generally GSDs are friendly with other breeds - well, maybe not small breeds - I don't know about that.
$1500.00 to $2000.00
You'll have to tell us your location.

I trust you will find this helpful - keep the questions coming :):):)

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Something to consider since you've never had a dog before and you live in the middle of nowhere...

GSDs need a lot of socialization and training. If your closest neighbor is 4miles away you would have to commit to traveling almost everyday to expose your pup to different things. If you need a trainer you'll have to be willing to travel once a week for that as well.

You might want to look into purchasing an older pup from a breeder or rescuing an adult dog that already has been trained and socialized.
Yup - something to seriously consider - sorry I missed it in my comments!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts