German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently researching GSD for a possible future dog for me. I'm not taking owning my first dog lightly and am trying to compile a mountain of info! lol
One of my first questions is how much does the average GSD eat a day and about on average how much do you pay for food? How much do you buy in pounds a month. I know corn is a no no so I looked at Petsmart's website on food they carry.

I'm looking at these so far. I'm thinking I don't to spend more than $60 a month.

Castor & Pollux
Science Diet Natures Best
Wellness
AvoDerm
Blue Buffalo
By Nature
Natures Recipe
Taste of the Wild

Thanks!

·
Registered
32,553 Posts
Science Diet is garbage.

I've fed TOTW. You might want to look at the food from Tractor Supply 4-Health. It's not the best but better than grocery store brands and is corn/wheat/gluten free. It would be good for someone on a budget. :) I just looked at the price and it's about $35 for 30 lbs.

Personally, I feed a RAW diet so I'm not up on the costs of kibble to much, or how much to feed. I think Jax was eating 3 cups of TOTW per day and it lasted about a month. But she only weighs 62 lbs so if you have a larger dog, you may feed more depending on energy/exercise levels.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
taste of the wild is a good food. Its actually pretty highly recommended. But you have to bear in mind that $60 a month, even for one dog may not last you a full month depending on how much the dog eats. A lower cost food i would recommend, if you have a Tractor Supply near you, is 4Health. Natures recipe is supposed to be pretty good but i dont honestly feed it myself so i'm not much help on that one.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
If you're a Costco member, you could feed Kirkland. Not the greatest, but far better than Purina, Eukanuba, Iams, Pedigree, etc.

Taste of the Wild is a good food, and I've heard good things about 4Health.

Right now I feed Blue Buffalo kibble, Taste of the Wild canned, and Nature's Variety raw. My dog's a lot smaller than a GSD, though. lol
I'll be feeding him Wellness CORE when I take him off of the puppy food.

Some foods I would consider/recommend are Nature's Variety, Blue Wilderness, Wellness, and Taste of the Wild. There are many others, but those are a few I'd choose.

·
Registered
14,344 Posts
I feed my dogs TOTW.

For a 30 pound bag of TOTW it costs me $39.99

When I had one dog a bag of TOTW lasted me a month.

With 2 dogs a bag of TOTW lasts me 2 weeks.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Depending on how much the dog eats, $60 a month should be plenty.

My GSD only eats 2 2/3 cups a day and my 40lb mix eats 1 cup a day. A 30lb bag lasts me about month. (I've never counted the exact number of days it lasted, but before I lost my 12yo GSD, a 30lb bag lasted me 2 weeks and a few days and she also ate 2 2/3 cups a day.

I feed Taste of the Wild. A 30lb bag costs about $50 or so. So even if I needed to feed a little more than 1 bag a month I could do it for $60.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I feed TOTW and pay $46.99 for a 30lb bag per month. I also feed a raw diet in the evening.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
If you're near a Tractor Supply store you can get 4Health and Taste of the Wild there. If you go on their website you can get coupons for up to 20% off dog food. Nature's Variety offers coupons on their website too.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
For one dog, $60 a month should be good if you feed orijen. My opinion, the best dry food on the market.
That depends on where one live. I could NOT get Orijen here for $60 a month.

The closest place that has it is 75 miles ONE WAY. And to get it shipped would be over $30 PER BAG just for shipping.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Our 7 1/2 mo. old GSD gets Wellness Super 5 Mix Large Breed Puppy and our 6 year old gets Wellness Super 5 Mix Large Breed Adult. I just spent $60 for a 30 lb. bag for the large breed puppy food from our local pet store. The 30 lb. bag lasts about a month. Prices vary depending where you go. Pet Smart's prices are a lot better. Our dogs love it. We tried Orijen for a while but none of our local distributors carried it. We also tried Solid Gold but our puppy was experiencing loose stools from it.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Chance is a mix but he's about the size of a female German Shepherd. ;) He used to eat 2 cups of food a day when he ran 10 miles plus swimming, fetch/frisbee, obedience training, walking, ect. Now that my bike (How I ran him each day for those 10 miles) is totaled and it's getting a wee bit too chilly to swim, he is being cut back to 1.5 cups a day because at the vet today, we noticed he's put on a couple pounds. :p

He's been eating Blue Buffalo Wilderness which is $50 for a 24lb bag. It lasted him about a month and a half. Due to a job loss, I'm currently feeding Nurture Heavenly Harvest which cost $10 for 15lb. (Largest bag our store carries) It is NOT a grain free food but it's the best I could find for the price. Since I'm now feeding him less, I'd say the 15lb bag will last roughly the same, about a month and a half.

Though understand, a puppy WILL eat more than an adult. On average I'd say an adult GSD on a QUALITY food, will eat 2-4 cups a day.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I feed TOTW and Orijen and love both foods. Orijen of course is far more expensive costing me $63 for a 30 lb bag and TOTW $48 for a 30 lb bag as well. My lab now gets only 3 cups a day since he's getting older and began to gain weight, but my pup Zoe is still at 4 cups. I spend between $100-$150 a month to feed both of them so you could probably get away with spending $60 on one for sure. However, keep in mind money for vaccines, training, check-ups, fecals, doggie toys, treats, and other supplies you will need. Definitely not cheap to own a large breed dog, but rewarding as well:)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
from the choices you posted, I personally would go with either Blue Buffalo or Science Diet Nature's Best. I would also feed the large breed puppy food, which I know some people don't agree with. But, I believe that a puppy should be fed puppy food.

Currently, I'm feeding Ava California Natural and while she LOVES it, it costs me an arm and leg every month at almost $70 a bag PLUS TAX ... this is for the 30 pound bag. I think this is an astronomical price for dog food but I had to switch her and only have so many options. She was on TOTW ... did great on it for about 8 months ... I paid $45 for a 30 pound bag -- BUT she wouldn't eat it dry so I was having to add canned food in both of her daily meals. A 30 pound bag lasts me about 5.5 weeks.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
As stated above: Science Diet is crap food.
A dog will eat dry food, you don't need to add anything to it. It will just take a while for the dog to adapt. The dog won't starve itself.
Many of us use strictly kibble. My female is 25.5" and 70 pounds and a 30 lb bag of Orijen, though expensive, lasts well over a month.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Our 7 month old male is on Acana (pretty much the same as Oijen) and it costs us about $65 for a bag which lats approx a month. Acana and Orijen are both fantastic foods! Our puppy had down pasterns which completely came up after we switched off puppy food onto the Acana.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
yes, Science Diet isn't the best food out there BUT we are talking about Nature's Best. Which isn't exactly the same. I have a few friends who have chosen to feed that puppy food and their dogs have looked great on it. So, yes out of those options listed I would choose either that or Blue Buffalo. While dogs will not starve themselves my dog has never been a fan of eating it dry until California Natural.

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Most dogs would definitely prefer canned or other goodies added to their food.
That's fine if you don't mind the additional cost, farts, and poop.

·
Banned
2,306 Posts
Chance rarely -doesn't- get "extras" (canned food, meats, eggs, yogurt, goat cheese, ect) and NEVER has problems with farting and he only poops 1-2x a day and they're always small (About 3in in length and an inch round) and firm. :rolleyes: As for cost, I typically rotate Authority canned food formulas. A 13oz can is $1 and a can last me about 5 days. I mix it with water to stretch how long it last. So it cost me like $0.20 a day extra. So about $6 extra a month. I'd say my dogs are well worth it. :) And some of that is fed to Zoey, I use the canned food to feed her, her meds. So if it was JUST Chance eating it, it would last a little longer. Eggs cost less than $0.15 a day to feed. A big tub of yogurt is like $4? Last at LEAST a month and that's with me munching on it. :) Meats I buy 10lb bags of chicken quarters for $5-$7 depending on if they're on sale or at full price. Boil em up until the meat falls off the bone and then put the meat into containers. You can freeze bulk amounts so that it last longer. Throw in a bit of meat at each meal for healthy, fresh nutrition. Ground beef/turkey is about the only thing I feed raw (Unless feeding a whole chicken quarter at a meal or some other kind of RMB) because it's already mushy. :p

Nothing will ever convince me that dry kibble is enough or that it is "balanced and complete".

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
Nothing will ever convince me that dry kibble is enough or that it is "balanced and complete".
Dry kibble has kept my last 2 (for 13 years) and current dog in perfect health, coat and energy. I don't understand how the contents of canned can be superior just because it is canned. Add some water to kibble and it comes out like canned if you let it set. Agreed that adding other foods (if the right ones) is definitely a benefit.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts