German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Edit: Title should be "Concerned my puppy may be underweight"

Hi all,

I recently adopted a Shepherd/Husky mixed puppy. The original parents were surprised with a pregnancy and had to give the puppies away earlier than I've read is ok. We took him in when he was 6 weeks and immediately took him to a vet. He had both worms and intestinal parasites. We cleared it right up and he is happy and healthy now with no outward signs of trouble.

However, we are very considered with his weight. Currently he is around 11 weeks old and only weighs about 16 pounds. His ribs are not exposed, his view from above looks correct (according to google images for what that is worth), and he eats all his food at a normal pace. If I accidentally give him too much, he may have a little left in the bowl so it doesn't seem like he is starving.

From what I've read he should be over 30 pounds by now. He does have a LOT of excess skin giving him a slight wrinkled look when he sits. It feels like just lots of skin he is waiting to grow into.

Should I continue to feed him the recommended amount of food and give it time, or is there anything I can do to encourage his growth?

·
Registered
443 Posts
If he's a mix, I wouldn't think there'd even be "standard" weights. Yhere's no way to tell how big he'll end up being. If he looks fine and acts healthy, and your vet isn't concerned, I'd just keep doing what you're doing. He'll grow as he's supposed to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well huskies are often smaller (around 60 pounds i think) than gsds it could go either way or in the middle in terms of his size, the worms is the reason for his light weight but as you say they are gone so he should regain normal weight but you should always feed an underweight dog more than he should need just like less food for an overweight dog.

If you measured his height at the withers it might give us a better understanding, good luck anyway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well huskies are often smaller (around 60 pounds i think) than gsds it could go either way or in the middle in terms of his size, the worms is the reason for his light weight but as you say they are gone so he should regain normal weight but you should always feed an underweight dog more than he should need just like less food for an overweight dog.

If you measured his height at the withers it might give us a better understanding, good luck anyway.
Thanks for the advice.

His current height is 14 inches.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts