German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my friends at work has an adult married daughter who has 2 GSDs. A male and a female. Several months ago the daughter had left her husband and moved back in with my friend and there was some talk about her giving up the female (who the daughter had taken with her) and the possibility that I might try to get her into rescue. Well, the daughter then reconciled with her hubby and they all got back together.

So my friend tells me today that her daughter has decided to breed the dogs. :eek: :cry::cry::cry:

The first words out of my mouth were "No, no, no. Congratulations, your daughter is now a backyard breeder." My friend looked at me puzzled and said "what is a backyard breeder?" I honestly think she thought I was going to be happy for her daughter and excited or something.

Well, she got an earful. ALL of it. From health reasons, temperament and titling to screening potential buyers and taking puppies back to keep them out of shelters because of all the purebred dogs dying in shelters everyday- especially GSDS. The only thing I didn't get into was what could go wrong and that was only because I think I really overwhelmed my friend. She said she is going to talk to her daughter but she doesn't have much hope to change her mind. She said that was the whole reason that the woman and her husband got the pair in the first place. Great.

I did almost chuckle- almost but not quite when the conversation first started, the first words out of my friends mouth were what "gorgeous" dogs they were. Then when I started talking about how important temperament was she said she didn't think that would be a problem because they were really nice dogs. That would be when I started talking how important it is for someone to understand genetics and pedigree.

Sigh, and the world can welcome one more backyard breeder to its midst.

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Maybe you can help this BYB by giving them a list of good websites/information to dissuade them from carrying on. Legitimate GSD information, not the shelter stats.
I know of a couple local breeders that have no papers on their dogs, websites have the weight and color as the 'selling points' and think IPO is a bad thing in a pedigree for a family pet. It irks me that they are dispersing these pups out into hands that may not be able to deal with them(due to lack of health or temperament tests), and keep up the disintegration of the breed....
I'd keep on keepin' on but try to do it with some helpfulness so the message isn't lost by defensiveness of the receiver.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
It's hard when it's people you know or know by association. I was talking to my former band instructor and he was telling me all about his grandkids. One of his granddaughters is a few years younger than me (so probably around 17 or 18 now) and he was talking about how fairly impressed by her because she was earning her own money in a very entrepreneurial way. I asked him what way that was, and his answer was she was breeding their Golden Retriever and selling the pups....I was like....well....there's a lot that goes into doing that right...needless to say he didn't see it, and all I could do was shrug at the end. He's one of the smartest people I know, but I doubt I could convince this 80+ year old man that one should be conscious of what they're breeding for when they're breeding dogs. Sometimes you just have to say, "Well...I tried."

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was actually really nice when I talked to my friend. My friend was really receptive and just kind of overwhelmed by all of the info. She has 2 bulldogs but isn't real dog savvy. I was actually surprised she had never heard the term "backyard breeder" but she hadn't. Then again, I had never heard it until a few years ago when I found out I had gotten Dharma from one so I guess there are a lot of people that just don't understand what that means.

She really did seem to want to change her daughter's mind but also acknowledged that she probably wouldn't be able to.

So much education to be done, so many people to be educated...

·
Registered
371 Posts
Good for you for giving your friend ****! Haha It's easy to just keep your mouth shut, especially when it's people you work with. I'm glad you had the guts to tell her why it was a bad idea, whether or not her daughter actually listens.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
If she's making money from this,then I'm pretty sure these dogs are getting the best care as far as shots,etc go. I may be wrong,but from I've seen most breeders don't make any money unless they are a large kennel. Even the large kennels who have very healthy dogs,have to spend a lot for upkeep.

I was talking to my former band instructor and he was telling me all about his grandkids. One of his granddaughters is a few years younger than me (so probably around 17 or 18 now) and he was talking about how fairly impressed by her because she was earning her own money in a very entrepreneurial way. I asked him what way that was, and his answer was she was breeding their Golden Retriever and selling the pups"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts