German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke up this morning and took my pup out of the crate and noticed, his breathing sound like a snoring. Do puppies get congested? This sound is coming every other minute while he is breathing and comes and goes. Also, when he got out of the crate, he paused to do some heavy breathing for about 10 seconds. Just curious what this can be and is it normal in a puppy.

Puppy is a little over 5 months old.

Thank you

·
Registered
872 Posts
I see you've had him a few months...I'm sure he's up to date on all his shots/vaccinations ...may be something he's caught that won't last (like us) or in this weather may be an allergy....I'd keep an eye on him... assuming he's eating and drinking normally otherwise....if he's not better or seems worse in the next 24 hours....see your Vet

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see you've had him a few months...I'm sure he's up to date on all his shots/vaccinations ...may be something he's caught that won't last (like us) or in this weather may be an allergy....I'd keep an eye on him... assuming he's eating and drinking normally otherwise....if he's not better or seems worse in the next 24 hours....see your Vet

Yeah he drank and ate like normal today, maybe this will suppress as the day goes on. He is up to date on everything and in NJ it has been really humid, not sure if this affects anything and thank you for your response.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE: I took my pup to the vet and he suggested it may be an allergy. He is still congested, but it sounds like a mucous sound us humans have and his nose is a little runny. If he were to just cough all that mucous out he would be clear!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Thanks for the update....great to hear you may have an idea what's going on with him...:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
I am not sure if it is the same thinf but my old dog was making some "stuffy nose" sounds intermittently. After seeing the vet and trying flushing her nose with saline, vet suggested I try benadryl vefore we did anything more invasive. On benadryl it had cleared up 100%. I know there is some bad pollen up here right now, lots of dogs with gunky eyes and so on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not sure if it is the same thinf but my old dog was making some "stuffy nose" sounds intermittently. After seeing the vet and trying flushing her nose with saline, vet suggested I try benadryl vefore we did anything more invasive. On benadryl it had cleared up 100%. I know there is some bad pollen up here right now, lots of dogs with gunky eyes and so on.
how much benadryl do you give a dog? I was thinking about this too

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
how much benadryl do you give a dog? I was thinking about this too
I would ask your vet for dosage. It is by weight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts