German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am trying to wrap my head around the puppy vaccinations but am getting contradicting information from the vets I have called. You see, I have had dog's my whole life and always lived in the same town but to be honest I have never found a good vet. If I have found one, they end up moving on to bigger and better places to practice. That being said, I spent some time yesterday calling 6 different vets near me and asked about puppy vaccinations. And guess what? I got pretty different answers. Here's the deal:
We will be getting our puppy at around 10 weeks of age, which will be around Aug 1. I am trying to get some things in order before she arrives, like vet appointments scheduled and socialization classes scheduled. So I asked the breeder when and what shots they will be giving her. The answer I got is she will be getting a 5-way vaccine at 5 weeks and 8 weeks. I did not give the vets the specific vaccinations she will be getting from the breeder (because I didn’t have that available at the time) but simply said that she will be given shots at 5 weeks and 8 weeks. Here are some of the answers I got:
Vet 1- “we can’t recognize shots that were not administered by our office. We would need to start her from the beginning of the series. It’s ok to give her repeats”
Vet 2 & 3- “we would give her 3 mores at 11 weeks, 14 weeks and 17 weeks”
Vet 4 & 5 - “we would give her 2 more at 12 weeks and 16 weeks”
Vet 6- “we would give her 1 more at 12 weeks and that would cover her for a year”

Thoughts on any of this? Which seems right? What route would you recommend? I'm in the less vaccination camp (even for my child) but I want to make sure we follow through as we have had a dog get parvo and it's horrible.

TIA!

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
I would revaccinate at 12 and 16 weeks, then at 18 weeks do the Rabies vaccine.

Reactions: ugavet2012

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
^ what they said.

9-10 Weeks Old:
Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV (e.g. Merck Nobivac [Intervet Progard] Puppy DPV)

14-16 Weeks:
Same as above

20 Weeks or Older (if allowable by law):
Rabies

1 Year:
Distemper + Parvovirus, MLV (optional = titer)

1 Year after the initial dose:
Rabies, killed 3-year product (give 3-4 weeks apart from distemper/parvovirus booster)

Perform vaccine antibody titers for distemper and parvovirus every three years thereafter, or more often, if desired. Vaccinate for rabies virus according to the law, except where circumstances indicate that a written waiver needs to be obtained from the primary care veterinarian. In that case, a rabies antibody titer can also be performed to accompany the waiver request. See the Rabies Challenge Fund website.

Dr. Jean Dodds' Pet Health Resource Blog | 2013 and 2014 Canine Vaccination Protocol - W....

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Well this depends on what the law is on rabies--some states its 4 months and some might be 6 months. If this was where I'm at, they have to have rabies at 4 months, so I would give distemper/parvo at 11 weeks and 14 weeks followed by rabies at 16 weeks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks for the replies, everyone! So essentially she will be getting 4-5 rounds... something like this?

5-6 weeks- 5 way before she comes home
8 weeks- 5 way before she comes home
12 weeks- revaccinate
16 weeks- revaccinate
around 18 weeks- rabies

After the 12 week revaccinate would I be okay taking her to puppy classes/socialization classes? Or should I still wait for the 16 week?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey thanks for the replies, everyone! So essentially she will be getting 4-5 rounds... something like this?

12 weeks- revaccinate
16 weeks- revaccinate
around 18 weeks- rabies

After the 12 week revaccinate would I be okay taking her to puppy classes/socialization classes? Or should I still wait for the 16 week?
Talk to your vet about this. In my area, the Parvo risk was very low and my vet recommended socialization in low-risk environments, as the benefits far outweighed the risk in his opinion.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
also, be sure to remember that "socialize" doesn't mean that the puppy needs to interact with other dogs or have puppy play times. Many people actually refuse to take part of the "puppy socialization part" of classes.

Interact with dogs you know that are good with pups and are vaccinated.
carry the pup with you when going on small errands.
take the pup where it can see/hear/smell new things and people.
expose to different surfaces.

lots of socializing can be done as soon as the pup comes homes. Just don't let him walk and sniff around where other dogs have been.

·
Registered
31,473 Posts

12 weeks- revaccinate
16 weeks- revaccinate
around 18 weeks- rabies

Noo!!!

That one at 5 -6 weeks does zero. The puppy is still covered by the mothers immunity. And what is in the 5 way?

AAHA guidelines say 8, 12 and 16 weeks. Rabies will vary by state. I waited till 18 to 20 weeks. I don't give lepto or Lyme to a baby so at the most it's a 4 way.

I would go with vets 4, 5 or 6 based on the above info.

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
5 way is the way to go, I wouldn't do lepto either. Lepto is not in the 5 way. The 5 way covers canine distemper, canine hepatitis, adenovirus cough (kennel cough), parainfluenza, and parvovirus.

I do not give kennel cough any other time, but i always started my pups in classes by 12 weeks and it gave ghem a little more coverage when they were so little.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
5 Weeks is way too young to be vaccinating. And the vet that states they dont recognize if they dont give the vaccine. They are trying to rip you off. If I give my own vaccinations and keep the peel off label and put that on a piece of paper with the dogs name on it, that is a legal document.

·
Registered
7,904 Posts

12 weeks- revaccinate
16 weeks- revaccinate
around 18 weeks- rabies

Fiona, I think it depends on the area you live in regarding parvo. I live in a fairly low risk area. I walked my pup everyday around the neighborhood, went to Tractor Supply, and he came to work with me everyday. Starting from the day I got him(and all my dogs)

I would have done things different if I was in a high risk area. You have to judge risk vs benefits.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
5 Weeks is way too young to be vaccinating. And the vet that states they dont recognize if they dont give the vaccine. They are trying to rip you off. If I give my own vaccinations and keep the peel off label and put that on a piece of paper with the dogs name on it, that is a legal document.
Should I call the breeder on this and verify what they are going to be giving the puppies at 5 weeks? What age would be better? 6 weeks or 8 weeks to start?

I am not sure of our states current parvo situation but will definitely ask when I call the vet again.

We don't have dog parks and don't plan on going to busy dog areas except for obdience school/puppy classes. I would like to take her on trails around our home but I do know dogs frequent the trails, so that's what I'm mostly asking about on the socialization. Plus we are surrounded by dogs on all sides of our home. I'm guessing they are all vaccinated or have been, knowing their parents, but can't be sure.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
I would do vets 4 and 5.

I always give rabies at 16 weeks along with the parvo-distemper five-way. I haven't had a problem with this.

I know some people like to wait until six months, but I will wait on that. Others like to give that on its own. I am not sold on that either. After the shots at 16 weeks they are good for a year, and after that set of shots every 3 years.

The shots your breeder gives at 5 weeks are probably totally useless as the pups are probably under the dam's immunity. The shots at 8 weeks are probably fine, but they need to be boosted, and if the pup is still under the dam's immunity, the shot at 16 weeks will boost the 12 week. Giving them every three weeks is over kill.

That's what I would do.

There is one thing though: if your breeder gives the shots themselves, how do you know the vaccines were 1) bought from a reputable source, 2) shipped properly, 3) stored properly, and 4) within date? This is why a lot of vets will not accept a breeder's shots.

Your vets said any shots not administered by them. I would ask specifically if you had a shot record from your breeder's veterinarian who gave the shots. If they still won't honor them, then they are just out to make money by over-vaccinating your puppy.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
Should I call the breeder on this and verify what they are going to be giving the puppies at 5 weeks? What age would be better? 6 weeks or 8 weeks to start?

I am not sure of our states current parvo situation but will definitely ask when I call the vet again.

We don't have dog parks and don't plan on going to busy dog areas except for obdience school/puppy classes. I would like to take her on trails around our home but I do know dogs frequent the trails, so that's what I'm mostly asking about on the socialization. Plus we are surrounded by dogs on all sides of our home. I'm guessing they are all vaccinated or have been, knowing their parents, but can't be sure.

Thanks all!
I do the first set at 7 weeks so that I have them for at least a couple of days, just in case there is a vaccine reaction. So far so good, but I wouldn't want a puppy buyer to get their pup home and have a reaction to deal with. Second set at 11 weeks, and since I am brave, I do the last set at 16 weeks with rabies.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Just remember, socialization does NOT mean it has to be exposed to other dogs. Going to places where people are but not dogs. I would ask the breeder their reasoning behind the 5 week vaccination. Or maybe it was stated in this thread, I don't recall. You are the buyer and paying money. Ask questions and get answers from the breeder. Ask the vet the reasoning behind administering vaccines the way they do. So many people just take the word of others and assume the other is in the right without asking the reason behind the choices. Dr Jean Dodds has some great info available online. Ask your neighbors what they do for vaccines and deworming of their pets. Its your puppy, its your choice what you want to do. Most areas only require rabies vaccine by law. Check with your town on licensing and requirements. And I know this will come up soon, when to spay or neuter. Start your research on that now and be prepared to have that discussion with your vet as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks selzer and dawnandjr!

I am going to call the breeder today and verify who will be administering the vaccinations and what exactly they will be giving her. I read on one of the 5-way websites that the earliest you can give it is 6 weeks old. This has me suspicious.

I am also going to call a couple of the vets back and ask some more questions. To be honest, I am partial to Vet #6 and want to ask if that was including the rabies or if they would do that later. Vet #6 was great with my Min Pin and her Patellar Luxation but they are also the furthest away from me and I always like having a vet closer in the event of an emergency

dawnandjr, you bring up a great point on spaying.. I have done some research and think I am going to wait a few cycles to spay her. I just need to be prepared to stand my ground when the vet wants to do it sooner.

As far as socialization, I am planning on taking her to my office, my husband's office, my's son's school, an outdoor mall close by, and maybe Home Depot. After she get's her 12 week shots, I may talk to the obedience school about getting her signed up for class and verify their vaccination requirements.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts