German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I wad at my boyfriends parents home this past week rocky did something peculiar...

Usually the moment his kennel door is approached he is ready to run out and go crazy...

However, when my bf and I were out for about 4 hours the other night, his mother opened rockys kennel an he refused to come out! She had to drag him outside to potty and then he went back in his kennel and layer there with the door open.

When we got back i call his name and he didn't run down so I went upstairs and looked in the bedroom and his head was poking out the kennel in curiosity and when he saw me he went crazy and we played outside for a while.

Has anyone else had this experience?

I'm thinking maybe he just didn't care to play with my bf's mom or maybe he was scared? Or possibly he was just being good and waiting for us to come back?

My roommate said that if we are out, rocky will lay outside our bedroom door and refuse to play or interact with him...

Maybe rocky is depressed when we are gone?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Maybe he thought he was in trouble? When Panzer was about 5 months old, we started basic obedience. The first class he was great. The second class, he refused to participate. Between teething & growing they have lots of changes going on. You might find the next time he's in the same situation he reacts differently.

I don't know much about separation anxiety, but have you read about that?

·
Registered
183 Posts
mine is the same we left her at my parents house to go out for a bit and she just layed there staring out the door....but then again she is super lazy

·
Registered
83 Posts
Lucky! My pup would try and play a pick up game of fetch with someone breaking and entering at this point...
All joking aside, since he perked up when you came home, that probably rules out being sick, or coming down with something. Sounds like a little separation/situational anxiety.
Growing up, our family GSD would get depressed, stop eating, etc when we left even for a day or two. They are extremely loyal dogs and I'm sure your pup is going through many developmental changes..- you and your BF are his comfort zone :)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I think he is scared to potty because of your boyfriend dragging him, hitting him and rubbing his nose in pee.

·
Registered
728 Posts
So first I have some questions: First of all, I couldn't find it, is what cassadee7 said correct, your bf hit and dragged the puppy? If it is, that is wrong and needs to stop right now.

Was this the first time the puppy stayed at his parents' home? Has he interacted with them before?

If this was a new experience, staying in a new place with new people, then the issue you have here is a socialization one. From your post I sense that he is nervous because of the strangers and strange place, and his den is where he feels safest, so he wants to stay there. It's up to you as his "mom" to ensure that he feels safe, confident and happy - he needs to get out and meet people, see situations, learn about the world. He's not liking anyone but you and your BF, so I'm inclined to think only you two ever interact with him.

Have people come over, take him to friends' houses, ask anyone and everyone to come and meet him - the mailman, FedEx guy, pizza delivery boy, etc. If he is too young to meet other dogs or go to areas like pet stores where there are lots of animals - you'll need to wait until 1-2 weeks after his final set of shots to do all of that.

But do please elaborate on your situation so I can have a better understanding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts