German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several weeks ago I brought Freyja to the local PetSmart in order to make sure her new collar would fit. She behaved wonderfully the whole time. At the checkout counter one of the dog trainers came up, commented on how well she was behaving and asked what puppy class she was enrolled in. When I responded that I was training her with the aid of my father, a retired State Police officer who trained and worked with his white GSD Patton, and who had trained all of our other dogs over the years, the trainer bent down, patted Freyja and told her "I'm sorry sweetie". The checkout girl refused to meet my eye after this. This isn't the first time this has happened either. Why do people's attitudes change soon as I mention that my father is aiding me in training her?
The guys I know that were on the K9 unit, including my father hold the belief that "if the dog can't trust you, why should it want to work for you?" and fully support positive reinforcement and ball rewards. Is this not typical?

·
Registered
626 Posts
For my part, I would have questioned the guy as to what exactly he meant by his statement. I'm am not schooled in how State Troopers from any given State prepare their animals for service so I cannot comment there :confused:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
That was quite rude. I would have questioned her too, but I don't see an issue.

I know the sherrif's department around here does NOT train their GSDs right. I have insider information about how they "clicker train" and I'm so surprised the dogs brains aren't fried and confused with the way they train, but I'm sure this isn't the case everywhere.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
WOW...must of took a lot to supress the urge to kick him while he was saying that LOL! If he/she's such a good trainer then why was he/she looking for new clients in the checkout line?? just saying!

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
The guys I know that were on the K9 unit, including my father hold the belief that "if the dog can't trust you, why should it want to work for you?" and fully support positive reinforcement and ball rewards. Is this not typical?
Maybe not always typical but that's not the point. The trainer was making an assumption and using a stereotype to formulate an opinion. It says a lot more about his lack of knowledge than it does about anything else.

I once had trainer tell me that you could tell the temperament of a GSD by their color, (really, she actually spouted off the list) and, the longer the coat the more reactive the dog would be. sigh

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Several weeks ago I brought Freyja to the local PetSmart in order to make sure her new collar would fit. She behaved wonderfully the whole time. At the checkout counter one of the dog trainers came up, commented on how well she was behaving and asked what puppy class she was enrolled in. When I responded that I was training her with the aid of my father, a retired State Police officer who trained and worked with his white GSD Patton, and who had trained all of our other dogs over the years, the trainer bent down, patted Freyja and told her "I'm sorry sweetie". The checkout girl refused to meet my eye after this. This isn't the first time this has happened either. Why do people's attitudes change soon as I mention that my father is aiding me in training her?

right there is what a lot of people find difficult to believe. There are still many MANY departments that use harsh training methods and believe its necessary to get the dog to do the work required of it. Its why so many people have issues with working dogs because they are under the assumption they're trained to be mean by harsh methods instead of the dog actually being considered to be a partner and friend. I think its great that your father is helping you train your pup. He has the experience and if he's using positive methods instead of harsh all the better. Your dog will have a positive reason to work with you and behave rather than be fearful if they dont behave they'll be punished for it. Maybe you should go back and talk to the trainer and ask them EXACTLY what they meant by that very rude comment. Would be an opportunity to educate an ignorant "trainer" if they're open to learning. Might be something you should also report to the store manager. Comments like that could result in a serious lack of business.

·
Super Moderator
32,802 Posts
I once had trainer tell me that you could tell the temperament of a GSD by their color, (really, she actually spouted off the list) and, the longer the coat the more reactive the dog would be. sigh
:rofl: She obviously never met Dena, who didn't have a reactive bone in her body!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Maybe not always typical but that's not the point. The trainer was making an assumption and using a stereotype to formulate an opinion. It says a lot more about his lack of knowledge than it does about anything else.

:eek: hope you asked where they got their information so you could stay away!!! yikes! I mean okay.... white GSDs tend to be more mellow and quiet than their various colored counterparts but seriously? THATS just on observation. Theres no actual PROOF to it other than what owners/handlers of white GSDs say. So what would a sable shepherd be? or a black and tan saddle back? or a blanket back? some people just need a good solid smack to the back of their head. i mean... wow.... just wow.... but thats also not to say a white GSD cant and wouldnt be aggressive. some people..... people make no sense to me.

·
5,627 Posts
I mean okay.... white GSDs tend to be more mellow and quiet than their various colored counterparts but seriously? THATS just on observation. Theres no actual PROOF to it other than what owners/handlers of white GSDs say.
Not the white GSDs I have known.

I pay no attention to the "trainers" at PetSmart or Petco. The majority of them have no other training than the crash course the company gives and are against prongs and chokes but can't tell you why other than it's the store's policy. It is their job to solicit new clients in the checkout line.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Not the white GSDs I have known.

I pay no attention to the "trainers" at PetSmart or Petco. The majority of them have no other training than the crash course the company gives and are against prongs and chokes but can't tell you why other than it's the store's policy. It is their job to solicit new clients in the checkout line.
I absolutely second that. The trainers at these Pet Superstores usually have a few weeks of training class and have no real experience or knowledge to back it up. Most of them wouldn't have read a single book on the topic either. I would totally ignore their comments.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I would like to add that while Petsmart and Petco are a complete crapshoot you do once in awhile come across a store with a legitimate trainer who has knowledge much further than the crash course. This is why I went to petsmart. This is why I tell people to go and have a conversation and watch training sessions before signing up-anywhere. If they sound like you have more information and knowledge than them back away, if you do not approve of their training style back away, but you find sometimes gold in the mud.

ETA: The trainer at this particular store however sounds like the typical petsmart employee. Knows nothing except the stuff(different word intended) corporate tells them to say.

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Your post made me think of how people would say "oh that stinks" when I told them I grew up in a military family. The "perception" must be it's very strict & structured therefore bad.

Whatever foget about that comment!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.