German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,i have a 9 week old GSD puppy he was on Chudleys dry mix is what the breeder set him off on.i was going to switch him to Royal Canine or TOTW could you guys please help me decide,im so confused there is so many different types to choose from,my vet recommended the ones i mentioned,

·
Registered
888 Posts
Vet's are educated in nutrition by classes that are sponsored by big dog food companies. Unless I knew my Vet was very knowledgeable about nutrition I would not buy a food based just on what they recommend.

Fromm, Acana, and Orjen are all good foods that I would feel comfortable feeding. I fed my last puppy Fromm and he did good on it. Orjen can be too rich for some dogs. There are a ton of dog food brands these days so educate yourself about reading labels, many of marketed to sound better than they actually are.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Vet's are educated in nutrition by classes that are sponsored by big dog food companies. Unless I knew my Vet was very knowledgeable about nutrition I would not buy a food based just on what they recommend.

Fromm, Acana, and Orjen are all good foods that I would feel comfortable feeding. I fed my last puppy Fromm and he did good on it. Orjen can be too rich for some dogs. There are a ton of dog food brands these days so educate yourself about reading labels, many of marketed to sound better than they actually are.
When I get a pup from a breeder and all looks good and pup has nice solid poops, I stick with what they feed until something goes wrong if anything goes wrong. So right now my pup is on Max lamb grain free.
I had a friend who took a litter of pups at 7-8 weeks old because she was the one doing all the placing and paper work etc... So the lady who whelped the litter out had them on a certain food and then this other person put them on what she wanted and all the pups ended up with bad diarrhea and still had diarrhea.

·
Registered
9,919 Posts
I have started him on From LBP in the morning and at noon: but the size of the kibble is more for cats. Don't know why they don't make them larger. IN the evening he gets raw.

·
Registered
681 Posts
RC employees Certified Veterinary Nutritionists. The do extensive research at the Waltham centre for pet nutrition. All of their foods have passed extensive feeding trials. Those are all qualities I look for in a company. In general, unless your pet has a sensitivity, don't fret too much about the ingredients lists, those are used as a marketing tool to lure humans to buy the food. They should not be used as a true indicator of the quality of nutrition that the pet will receive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts