German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, we just got our first puppy, after reading some reviews I went to the store and purchased Blue Buffalo Life Protection Large Breed Puppy.

On the side it says:
2 month, 19lb puppy I should feed: 300g
3 month, 30lb puppy I should feed: 410g
4 month, 41lb puppy I should feed: 350g
5 month, 50lb puppy I should feed: 400g

I'm confused about why I would drop the amount of food from the 3rd to the 4th month. And why should I be feeding less a 5-month 50lb puppy compared to a 3-month 30lb puppy?

When looking at other brands like Orijen Puppy Large seems that the food quantity slowly raises:
2 month, 19lb puppy I should feed: 250g
3 month, 30lb puppy I should feed: 306g
4 month, 41lb puppy I should feed: 360g
5 month, 50lb puppy I should feed: 396g
6 month, 57lb puppy I should feed: 432g

·
Super Moderator
4,743 Posts
Use the amounts on the bag as a rule of thumb. Your pup's appetite and body condition is your real guide as to how much to feed. Pups grow very fast up until about 6 months, then continue to grow at a steady slow pace. So the amount of food they will need may be less. Also pups can start to be picky about their food around that time. Make sure the first feeding of the day is very small and use the kibble as rewards for teaching new behavior if you'd like.
Also, if you spay a female, their food should also be decreased. I had my gal-dog spay at 18 months and reduced her food and watched her body condition. In her case it is true, that after her surgery she is happy and healthy on a slightly smaller portion.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
The rule is, feed adult quantity, divided into 3 or 4 meals.
Those recommendations make no sense to me.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
There are a number of quality Canadian made foods readily available. Go!, Now, Canadian Naturals, Legacy to name a few. I feed First Mate to my dog(s) and am very pleased with the food and the company. If you need a budget friendly food Actrium sold by Walmart seems a pretty decent food.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts