German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can I give the dog to chew. I feel like every category has an issue - (which might just be hearsay and not a real issue)

so my 10 week old wants to CHEW. Awesome. I called the breeder and asked "what can I give him?"

• Rawhide? - she said they will cause diarrhea. is that a real problem? are rawhide alternatives (like smartbones) better or same issue?
  • She said get a cleaned out marrow bone - I looked online and one site said they are a problem when they splinter/break
  • Nylabone? - she said she avoids them because of potential for pieces to break off and cause intestinal blockage.
  • Greenies? - old lawsuit claiming choking hazard

It's been 20 years since we had our last puppy. I know I gave him all of the above, no issue. I'm open to people have learned things over time, so what's the current thinking? Obviously I don't want my dog to choke, have intestinal blockage or diarrhea, but there must be chew toys that minimize those effects.

For now he's chowing ice cubes and loving them, but would appreciate some sane feedback as I feel the guidelines I'm getting are a bit over-protective.

thanks, in advance

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Within reason, all above except rawhide (large softish chunks break off) are fine.
It is hard to find something that's safe that they'll actually be interested in.
Nylabones are fine and dogs will chew them but not with much excitement or for too long in my experience.

I favor real meaty bones but sparingly and they will return to it for days.

Lots of consumable chews are just marketing.

·
Registered
31,989 Posts
I don't do marrow bones because I don't want to have to take my dog to the vet to have it removed from their jaw.

For puppies, I like raw large animal neck bones. Lamb is great because it's not cut in half. Beef is large so also good. Knuckle bones. Lamb / water buffalo horns are great but smell when wet. Dried tracheas stuffed with meat and frozen.

·
Registered
209 Posts
What can I give the dog to chew. I feel like every category has an issue - (which might just be hearsay and not a real issue)

so my 10 week old wants to CHEW. Awesome. I called the breeder and asked "what can I give him?"

• Rawhide? - she said they will cause diarrhea. is that a real problem? are rawhide alternatives (like smartbones) better or same issue?
  • She said get a cleaned out marrow bone - I looked online and one site said they are a problem when they splinter/break
  • Nylabone? - she said she avoids them because of potential for pieces to break off and cause intestinal blockage.
  • Greenies? - old lawsuit claiming choking hazard

It's been 20 years since we had our last puppy. I know I gave him all of the above, no issue. I'm open to people have learned things over time, so what's the current thinking? Obviously I don't want my dog to choke, have intestinal blockage or diarrhea, but there must be chew toys that minimize those effects.

For now he's chowing ice cubes and loving them, but would appreciate some sane feedback as I feel the guidelines I'm getting are a bit over-protective.

thanks, in advance
You can get a Kong and fill it with treats and freeze it, they will chew on it and mouth it and be happily occupied, and the cold is soothing to their gums if they are teething. You can give him raw bones. I give these to my dog, he loves them. Just make sure you are around while he gnaws on it. I have left my dog alone in his crate with his Kong while I ran errands but always make sure I am home when he's chewing on bones. However, have never had an issue with bones, this is just a precaution.

If you go to a good pet store such as Tomlinson's, you'll find things like deer antlers and cow ears and cow tracheas and bully sticks made out of dried, pressed meat, all of which my dog loves, but which don't last as long as bones.

In addition to hard toys, my dog also likes a couple of squeeky plush fabric toys that he'll mouth and shake. You want to make sure to keep an eye on him so he's not tearing off and swallowing fabric or stuffing. You can train them to be gentle with fabric toys.

I also used to give him ice cubes which he loved. Again, this was when he was a puppy, I think it helped with teething pains. I'd give him a handful of ice cubes and he'd happily chomp through them.

A few weeks ago I gave him a water buffalo horn. He LOVES it. It is really tough and he probably chews on it and plays with it 20 minutes each evening. Pieces have splintered off, though, over time.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
One of my dogs had a favourite stuffed panda bear for years and years. I buried it with her when she passed at age 14.

Another one destroyed just about every toy I bought for her. Yeah, she'd eat the treats out of a black Kong - then she'd eat the Kong as well! Have the pictures to prove it!

So, there's no one answer to your question. A lot depends on the dog. The above dog would very likely crack animal vertebrae into pieces and swallow them. Because I wanted something to satisfy her chewing urge, I finally started giving her cow shank marrow bones. They are the one thing I've found that are too tough for her to break pieces off of.

She also got a lot of mileage out of the Bad Cuz toys, but I'd have to remove the horns and feet before she chewed them off and swallowed them. Eventually, she' remove the squeaker. Luckily, she had no interest in swallowing THAT, but she would then start to work on the squeaker hole until she was able to tear large chunks off the toy. At that point, I'd have to throw it out, as she'd swallow the pieces.

·
Super Moderator
4,325 Posts
I prefer horns, antlers and deer front legs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback. makes sense that different dogs need different things. I can see how the breeder would be afraid to recommend any one thing. I'll try some things and see how he does with each.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I don’t like horns, hooves or antlers. Veterinary dentist told me that those, along with Nylabones, keep him in business.
I give natural chews. Not only does it help keep him entertained, but it cleans the teeth.
The beef rolls last the longest.
Real.dog, below, is a subscription. They send you a box each month, all different things,
For non-food chewing, I like the Zogoflex Bumi. You can play tug with it, and no matter how much my dogs chew on it, it doesn’t fall apart.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don’t like horns, hooves or antlers. Veterinary dentist told me that those, along with Nylabones, keep him in business.
I give natural chews. Not only does it help keep him entertained, but it cleans the teeth.
The beef rolls last the longest.
Real.dog, below, is a subscription. They send you a box each month, all different things,
For non-food chewing, I like the Zogoflex Bumi. You can play tug with it, and no matter how much my dogs chew on it, it doesn’t fall apart.
thanks for providing the info. I went ahead and ordered the beef rolls.. we'll see how my pup likes them!

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
At one point, my heavy chewer had some antlers to chew on. They would just keep getting smaller and smaller as she chewed. She couldn't break pieces off them - they just kind of got eroded gradually away, until finally they were so small, I had to take them away from her for fear she'd swallow them!

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
thanks for providing the info. I went ahead and ordered the beef rolls.. we'll see how my pup likes them!
Great!
After a good session of chewing, I wrap it in foil and put it in the freezer for next time.
My dogs love the duck wings, the beef flexor tendon and beef ears. All of these are sourced from small farms and don’t have chemical junk.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The longest thing that has lasted my dog and the one he seemed interested in most was deer legs(the front, never tried the back as my sister took them for her dogs. There is a tendon on the back legs I wonder how long those would last if I put them in the dehydrator for a while and gave it to him!)

He loved the deer legs. Chewed on it for a good 5 hours(spread out over a few days of me giving and taking it) before I threw it out. If you can't get that, a good alternative I think would be talking to a butcherer or some farms about getting the legs off of sheep, goats, or cows. I don't think it would cost much since they are normally just thrown out.

My boy chewing his deer leg
IMG_20201021_205409685.jpg

I have read that eating a lot of bones/hard chews over time can cause the teeth to wear down, and in some cases even break. So, I personally wouldn't give more than 1 per month. Just like a special treat or something to keep him occupied if I need to do something. With that, I also wouldn't leave him with it alone for hours and will take it away once It starts to get smaller.

Bully sticks my guy loves, they just don't last more than 5mins per 6in stick. I have also used a few nylabone chews, he will chew them for a few then never touch them again.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
{quote]I have read that eating a lot of bones/hard chews over time can cause the teeth to wear down, and in some cases even break. [/quote]

Oh, yes! Have an e-friend whose heavy chewer did $3000 worth of damage to his teeth chewing Nylabones! Also, my male dog used to like to pick up rocks and carry them around. He wore his bottom canines to stubs by the time he was in his old age! :rolleyes:
I tried to make my back yard rock free, but he kept finding new ones, as he also liked to dig!

·
Banned
292 Posts
We gave Ray Kongs.. Kong bone.
He loves his antler mosf.

Generally just give him a RMB every day and exercise him as much as poss. When he's tired he doesn't chew so much.

·
Registered
331 Posts
We are having good luck with Petstages brand Dogwood sticks. Not quite as hard as Nylabone but same concept that they can really only get small bits off at a time that pass thru (the shepherd does the chewing and the corgi hangs out and does the hoovering :rolleyes:). I find the large ones at Ross and TJ Maxx for like $7 each or Amazon for slightly more.

The Petstages Orka tires are his favorite thing for fetch and ramming into crotches. He mouths it and crushes it in half but doesn't really do dedicated chew sessions on them. And they dont leave black streaks on my floors or walls like the other tire toys we tried.

Here is the corgi demonstrating her suggested use of both toys to overcome short leg issues and hold that chew in place.

Reactions: Shefali

·
Registered
209 Posts
We are having good luck with Petstages brand Dogwood sticks. Not quite as hard as Nylabone but same concept that they can really only get small bits off at a time that pass thru (the shepherd does the chewing and the corgi hangs out and does the hoovering :rolleyes:). I find the large ones at Ross and TJ Maxx for like $7 each or Amazon for slightly more.

The Petstages Orka tires are his favorite thing for fetch and ramming into crotches. He mouths it and crushes it in half but doesn't really do dedicated chew sessions on them. And they dont leave black streaks on my floors or walls like the other tire toys we tried.

Here is the corgi demonstrating her suggested use of both toys to overcome short leg issues and hold that chew in place.
View attachment 565935

corgis are such cool dogs!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts