German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what age are GSD's considered adults? My vet said at a year old and I've read online that it's when they are 2+ years because they are still developing until then.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I second Jax08. 1-2 for physical growth.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Dogs are estimated to be equivalent to a 13 year old human at 1 year and a 24 year old at two.

That would make sense because the adult temperament tends to start to show up around two years.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I guess it depends on what aspect of "maturity" you're considering. My pup reached her full height at 9 months. So yeah, adult in terms of height. She reached her full weight at around 2 yrs, but at 3 still acts like a goofy puppy sometimes.

So, inasmuch as a human is "adult" legally at 18 yrs old, a dog is adult at 18 - 24 months...legally they are adult...emotionally, not so much.

Hence the discrepancy?!

·
Registered
711 Posts
My pup didn't get to what I consider mature until over 3 years old. He reached his full height much earlier, but didn't fill out until he was over 3. I suppose it depends on your definition of mature, as Tim said.

·
Registered
32,555 Posts
To further confuse the issue, many believe that females mature earlier than males.
I think they do. Physically they mature quicker but human females do as well. Mentally, it's hard for me to say. Faren is serious about everything except getting off the bed when I tell her to. Then she thinks she's funny. Seger is just a fun loving soul.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts