German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sharing here because I have been met with "really? It's just a dog.." several times since this began. I figure like-minded GSD people will understand and can relate. <3

In the last week Kamahi has deteriorated considerably, and we've been in and out of Vet offices trying to find an answer. Now we have a partial one, and I feel as if my world is crashing down all around me. :( He's the dog that started it all...my first German Shepherd. My best friend.

The Vet located a large, softball-sized mass squished between his ribs and his lung, and unfortunately there's nothing we can do until tomorrow, and even that looks bleak. I'm hoping beyond hope that it's just a large, fatty tumor (benign) rather than any of the alternatives. We're having a CT scan done, and hopeful to get him into surgery to have it removed. If I understood correctly (I was in shock upon hearing the news, that was the *last* thing I was expecting), there's a very poor outlook if it involves the heart in any way, and that is sadly our prime suspect. :teary:

"Heart dogs" don't come around very often, but this one managed to sneak his way in there. I just don't know how I'm going to pick up and move forward without this dog if that's the way this turns. Please send thoughts and prayers our way.

Sorry it's brief, I couldn't keep the keyboard from getting wet throughout this post. :teary:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Thoughts and Prayers sent for you and Kamahi

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Some masses can be benign. Without a biopsy no one can know for sure.

How old is Kamahi? Lots of time when dogs get old they get 'things' So do people.

Why do people get hit again and again by the knowledge of death? Animals do not have this.

Maybe it is because we have to learn to love with an open hand. Like God loves, unconditionally, and without attachment.

·
Super Moderator
5,333 Posts
Not Just A Dog. We strive to build a working bond with our German Shepherd Dogs. They guard us, keep us company, make us laugh and even help with our work.

I hope after the vets do their job you still have a few more years to play together. If not, the end comes easily and gently.

I can't /. don't want / to imagine how you are feeling right now.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Sounds very similar to Starks mass. Located on the chest nestled in next to the heart. His is cancerous.

I'm so sorry your going through this. I remember when he first came home.

I'm lucky he is still feeling okay, but a few months ago I thought we were going to lose him and so did the vets.

Have faith and most importantly be there for your dog.... Cherish each moment.

·
Premium Member
4,821 Posts
I understand your heartache and pain very well.

Prayers for your boy & you.

JUST A DOG
From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog," or "that's a lot of money for just a dog." They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog."

Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog." Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog," but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you will probably understand phrases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise."

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure and unbridled joy.

"Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that makes me a better person.

Because of "just a dog," I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future. So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog," but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a man or just a woman."

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog," just smile--because they "just don't understand."

-Author Unknown

·
Registered
864 Posts
If it is the unthinkable, trust me...you will move on. I just recently went through that. Found out in Oct that my previous GSD had a huge mass in his liver and was given a few months to live. Long story short, I had to put him down just before X'mas. He was my first dog and first GSD. I was devastated and told myself it will be years if I ever got another dog. Literally 2 months later, I was already looking for a new puppy. What I'm trying to say is you'll move on and you'll be ok. It may take you longer (or shorter) than I did, but you'll be ok. And on the other thing...just ignore the negative Nancy's. They're obviously not dog lovers.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
If you will google youtube german shepherd puppy tilts head.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I am so sorry you had to suffer the "it's just a dog" from others as you go through this. My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts