German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was searching for something else and found this in the WV code:

§ 19-20-22. Confinement of female dogs Every person owning or harboring a female dog, whether licensed or unlicensed, shall keep such dog confined in a building or secure enclosure for twenty-five days during the period of estrus.

anyone else know of an area that requires something like that? I'm guessing that it isn't commonly known; I have certainly never heard of it before. Wish I had, though!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Wow..they had to make a law for that ? Isin't it common sense ? Why would an owner of a female dog in heat let it out in the open knowing very well that it is just a beacon for male dogs in a 1 mile radius asking for trouble !!

·
Registered
6,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, seeing as no one I knew up there ever confined their female dog, I guess the law only makes sense. Of course, no one has ever enforced it lol
Most people take the route of shooting the loose males that wander onto their property and then complaining when their dog gets knocked up

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
At one time, police in Washington, DC shot bitches in heat that were at large. Back in the late 30's/early 40's they shot/killed one right in front of my mother and older sister one day when they were out for a walk (my sister was in a stroller).

·
Registered
32,033 Posts
My x-neighbor kept her husky mix bitch on a chain throughout. Her three litters reflected the neighborhood males.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
wow i wonder if theres something like that in NC. Shelby is currently in heat and only let outside long enough to go potty but she's supervised the whole time. Then she spends the rest of the morning/afternoon/evening inside wearing a doggie diaper. BUT there are tons of females in heat that the people just let them out. Course there is a beagle "couple" down the street that live outside despite housing rules and every single time she's in heat, there are brand new puppies not long after.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts