German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I came upon a person that was selling puppy's. When I went to pick her up I learned that for her four months of life she was been confined to a dog house with her mother. She is now at my home how do I get her to become more comfortable and to start exploring? She's a shy girl I think she needs more confidence.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Time, patience, find a trainer to help, be gentle and dont push her to do anything let her do it on her own she will slowly build confidence. Treats lots of treats, gentle play let her know its ok and lots of praise. I would be taking her to a vet too ASAP. Any pictures of the little one? Is she pure GSD?

·
Registered
423 Posts
She might come out of it on her own in a little while....When I had Genesis in 91. I bought him at age 5 and a half months. The breeders husband was in a car accident and critical in a hospital bed for a good while. Her attention was on the husband/his recovery and Genesis and his siblings were confined to a little kennel most of the time. They really didn't have a lot of room to run. She raised American showline dogs and the pedigree was very good. She just wanted the pups going to a good forever home and let them go cheap. When I got Genesis home I brought him over to my parents house. My father said it looked like he wasn't really walking correct. That turned out to be from a lack of exercise as in a couple days his gait changed. Any way he was shy at first but he quickly snapped out of it as far as exploring and being shy around strangers..... He bonded right away though.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She has a vet appointment on Monday. I'm a little worried that she still won't become comfortable with us. Where having trouble getting her to go places including outside. She just stays in her corner. We've been giving her space but she still hasn't been able to move. She's shown no aggression so far. The seller said she was a purebred GSD from what I can tell she's a pure GSD

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I wouldnt be focusing so much in taking her out right now and around other people, give her a week or two you just got her let her get comfortable with you and your family first and then she will be a little bit more at easy I think you might be doing to much to fast right now. Giver her some time to adjust before throwing her in the deep end

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Wow, sounds like a terrible situation. Hope they gave her to you for free. :(

My Basu was kept in a cage for most of his life. I adopted him at 4.5. At first he would hide in a crate or hide behind my other dog. He came around to my partner and I pretty quickly but was terrified of strangers, the leash and most everything was new to him outside. We used really good treats like real pieces of chicken or meat or hotdog and took things very slowly. We didn't look him in the eye and often just sat on the floor near him so he would get used to us.

After a number of years he got better but he also became fear aggressive and always required a high degree of management. Do you have another dog? My dog Chama was probably the most helpful with Basu.

I highly recommend joining this group: shy-k9s : shy-k9s

They are very, very experienced with the type of dog you have and you can learn a lot from other members of the group.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update on Luna

Thank you all for the information!!
Let me give you a update on Luna.

So Luna's been with us for about a week.We welcomed her home on June 21st Friday. During the first couple of days we gave her some space we didn't want to overwhelm her. In those days she wouldn't move from her spot. Then Sunday she went on a walk around my neighborhood. I could tell she loved it. The only problem came when she would hear a dog bark. When that happened she would get all nervous and want to run the opposite direction. She is great with the adults that wanted to pet her. Children in the other hand also make her nervous.
We have a two year old toddler and in the beginning she would bark and growl at her. I started correcting her every time that happened and it seems to be working. I sometime stay with her in our front porch when our neighborhood kids are playing and we sit and watch them. She seems to be getting used to there energy.
I'm happy with the decision we made to buy Luna. I couldn't imagine what would of happened to her if she would of stayed with her other family. We took her to the Vet and she loved it. We had no problems what so ever. She is a healthy puppy and took her shots like a pro. :wild:
We are having a problem with her with other dogs. I will post another thread because its a long story. But, she will start her puppy classes in a week. We plan to have her in training for at least a year.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts